Two Epi-Pens for the Price of One! Do this if you can!

StillPinballFamily

Mouseketeer
Recently I needed to get my prescription refilled for Epi-Pens (severely allergic to bee stings).

I asked the doctor to write it for at least two pens, as I had only had one before, and it was hard to keep track of it. I wanted one for my purse and one for keeping at home on the kitchen counter. (You can't keep them in a car, as they can get too hot and become ineffective.) She said no problem and wrote it for three.

At the pharmacy, I handed the prescription paper over and said I wanted two pens, please. At pickup, I looked in the bag and only saw one there. I told them I had requested two. The attendant said "Ok, there's a two-pack that is the same price (our co-pay is $15) as the single one." Well, that totally made my day! In all the years I've had these suckers, I had NO idea they came in a sealed two-pack — and that I could get it for the single one price!

Thought I'd pass this info along, in case this helps anyone else...

The prescription we fill is always a twin pack, it is nice to have several.
Our old insurance did NOT cover the cost of the Epi-pens...do you believe it?
We have new insurance now which is much better, and I'm sure (at least hoping) that it will be covered with a co-pay now...
Thanks for passing this along for everyone!

The prescription we fill is always a twin pack, it is nice to have several.
Our old insurance did NOT cover the cost of the Epi-pens...do you believe it?

Wow! That's crazy! Ummm...you need these because if you have a reaction, you'll not be able to breathe and then YOU'LL DIE! And they don't cover them??? Sheesh...gotta love insurance companies!

I was shocked beyond belief when I picked up my pens. My insurance covered them in full. First time I ever got a free prescription. :cool1:

I get the 2 pack for my son (1 for home and 1 for school.) It is the same co-pay to do the twin pack or the single pen...$50 :scared1: It is a non-prefered drug on our insurance. :furious:

I am an RPH and a lot of insurances do not pay for needed items go figure is what my patients say to me.

My insurance only pays for generics. Is there a generic for EpiPen? I paid out of pocket for my twin pack - almost $100.

My insurance only pays for generics. Is there a generic for EpiPen? I paid out of pocket for my twin pack - almost $100.

I don't think there is a generic. I know a lot of people who use them and they are all EpiPen brand.
I'm sorry you pay oop that much, and it is nice to come across someone that feels my pain! ::yes::
Many we know who have them covered can't understand the high cost. I had a friend who lost not one, but two when with my kids. :eek:

I may have dreamt this, but I thought they were doing two packs now because after the initial use of first Epi pen, another dose is often times needed if reaction is severe enough. I'll have to check on that though. I was glad to get the twinpacks two, but I haven't seperated them. I keep two at school for DS and two with me.

Since we first got my little one his Rx filled last spring for his Epi-Pen it came in a 2pk. He's allergic to eggs, nuts and peanuts so I make sure we have them ready everywhere. It's a shame some ins. co. dont cover them, ours didn't last year when he first got diagnosed. My dh and I were shocked. You would think that they would cover something that is medically indicated and could potentially save a life! Thankfully we were able to go back to our ins we had before that and they are now covered, we just pay the copay.

We have to pay a $35. co-pay, thanks for this tip!

Another tip: before you have the prescription filled, ask the pharmacist to tell you what the expiration dates are on the boxes they have in stock. I've learned to ask around.....sometimes there is a 6-9 month difference between pharmacies!!!! Saves $$$ not having to renew it as often.

We've gotten them packaged in twos and they still make me pay two co-pays. We spend a fortune on pens we thankfully have never used. On occasion we've been given ones with expiration dates only 6 months out (we're limited to one pharmacy) and have to get them twice in one year. We always have 4 pens, so $35 copay x 8 each year. Yikes.

When I get dd13's epi Rx filled (twin-packs all the time, one set for school, one set for her bag), I stand at the pharmacy counter and check the expiration dates before I even pay.

Thanks for the tip. I go to the Dr. next week and will be sure to ask for my new rx.

My daughter keeps 10 epis in school (one for each area of the school she's in, one for the nurse, and a spare!) and then we have two for home. At her last allergist appointment, I told the dr that I would need 12 epis. He wrote the script for 6 2-packs. To my complete and utter SHOCK I only had to pay one, yes ONE, copay when I had the script filled at the pharmacy (CVS). I only paid $15 TOTAL for 12 epis. I was prepared to pay $15 for each of the two packs (I've never had to pay for each epi separately). I wasn't sure if it was the way the dr wrote the script or perhaps my particular insurance. I didn't argue, smiled, took my epis and got out of there!! Now we'll be needing new epis this summer I'm hoping this happens again!

I've always gotten the 2-packs. And they are only one co-pay ($30). I keep one in my purse and at home. I have a severe allergy to stings (anything that flies and stings) so I keep it with me at all times.

I get the two packs as well. My sons epi pens just expired at school.
I will be sending the new ones for the last 4 days of school on Monday.
I never thought to ask for a bigger RX...12 for the price of two...good deal!

When I get dd13's epi Rx filled (twin-packs all the time, one set for school, one set for her bag), I stand at the pharmacy counter and check the expiration dates before I even pay.

Me too. Unfortunately if all they have is something that expires in 6 months, I'm stuck.

I have 3 twin packs that we use for my daughter who has a peanut allergy. I had said I was going to split them and distribute them to different areas and the Dr. said keep two. So now we always keep the two Epis together as one is only good for about 15-20 min and often the second is needed. The 3 twin packs are at school, the Sarah bag as we call it, and the house. I really would ask about splitting them up, they are meant to be kept together. I'd hate to see someone need the second and be high and dry.

I know that this is a little off the subject and I apologize. But I was wondering if any of you who use the Epi pens do so because of an allergic reaction to mosquito bites? My DD was diagnosed with this last summer and we were told that her reaction would get more severe each year and could eventually get severe enough to cause anaphylactic shock and require the Epi pens. Do any of you have experience with this? I'm just trying to arm myself with as much information as possible. Her daycare teacher has been wonderful and taken extra care to prevent bites but Anna starts to kindergarten next year and so far when I've talked to the school staff about this they don't seem to take it too seriously. There is a wooded area just beyond the kindergarten playground and we live in the hot, humid South where mosquitos are almost a year round pest so I can't help but worry that this is going to be a problem. Anyway, any information from others who are dealing with this would be helpful. TIA:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter