Two DINKs do Disney at Christmas!

amym303

Earning My Ears
I don’t post often, but I have gotten so much valuable information from the disboards, that I figured I should put my $.02 in. We had a great time with the Mouse thanks to all of your guidance, so I hope this helps! :thumbsup2

My husband and I went to WDW from Dec. 17-24th. This was my first trip in 15 years, and DH was a Disneyland vet, but had never been to WDW. I am a teacher and took two days off before winter break. This turned out to be the best part of my planning—once the kids were out of school, the parks were extremely crowded. The difference between the first 3 days of the trip and the last four was night and day!

I planned most of our trip, and most of my research was focused on the dining plan, accommodations, the Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, and whether or not to do ADRs. We had a great time in the parks, but I don’t want to focus on rides and attractions in this report. As a side note, we had great experiences with Magical Express, online check in, and Southwest Earlybird checkin. We also the utilized E-ticket, WDW Dining and WDW Wait times apps for the iPhone extensively.

We opted NOT to do the dining plan. We don’t normally order soda and dessert with every meal, so we thought we would save money (and calories!) by staying off the dining plan. We saved about $200 by paying cash, BUT we also didn’t do a lot of TS meals. We liked the flexibility of not having to plan around a bunch of dining reservations. We did have some reservations—more on that later.

We went back and forth between a moderate Disney resort and the Downtown Disney hotels. Transportation was a big concern for me, so we went with Disney’s Coronado Springs. After seeing the DTD hotels, we could have made that work as well.

The grounds at Coronado Springs were beautiful, but DH likened the rooms to a nice motel--very clean, comfy bed, and no frills. Also no water pressure ☹ The weather while we were there never really got out of the 60s, so we never got to try the pool, but it looked fun. This resort is enormous, so take a look at the map and decide what your location priorities are. We stayed in Casitas 3, which worked well for us. It was near a beautiful quiet pool, bus stop 2 and a short walk to El Centro. If you have kids and want to be near the Dig Site pool, put in a request for that side of the lake. It’s a little bit of a hike from everywhere else. One recommendation if you are going at busy times, steer clear of bus stop 1…it was always crowded and we waited for a bus for 40 minutes one morning.

Our first night we went to the MK for the MVMCP, 2nd to last night of the parties. I’m very glad we did this! We were more excited about riding the big rides than the cookies and parades, and we definitely got our money’s worth. The longest line we waited in was Space Mountain for 20 minutes. We caught some of the parade, and the fireworks were outstanding! Definitely a great way to start our trip!

The other Christmas decorations at the parks and resorts were wonderful. I loved the special touches at each part of the world. We got to see Holiday Wishes twice and Osborne Family Lights which were both spectacular! We caught a little of the Candlelight Processional, and that is the only thing I regret not getting to see all of. The music was beautiful, but we were standing outside of the main amphitheatre so it was hard to see and hear what was going on. Next time!

And here goes the food report! :banana::banana::banana:

Pepper Market--we both agreed that breakfast was much better than dinner. We ate breakfast there almost every morning, but only twice for dinner. We didn’t mind the 10% service charge…we always had good service, didn’t have to fight for a drink station, and didn’t have to bus our own tables. We also wandered in to Rix Lounge on our last night and had some amazing mojitos and margaritas. Ask the bartender what HE would order!

Cosmic Rays—The others on the boards aren’t kidding. BEST burgers in WDW! We went there shortly after arriving in Orlando and we were starving. It was so good, we went back on our second night in MK.

Biergarten—The German buffet was really good and I loved the entertainment. The schnitzel, spaetzel and potato leek soup were my faves. “Family Style” means you are seated at large tables with other small parties. We sat with a family from Canada and a family who lives within 10 minutes of our house!

San Angel Inn—I can’t give a food report, because we took a look at the menu and decided to go across the street to the cantina and eat near the lake. I’m not saying the food sounded bad, but $25 a plate for Mexican food seems a little ridiculous. Again, if we had been on the dining plan, we may have stayed, but the cantina food was just fine.

Yorkshire County Fish and Chips—No reservations at Rose and Crown available, so we opted for the CS. Actually we would have ordered fish and chips at the restaurant, so this worked out. DH raved about the chips. Again, we found a table by the lake and enjoyed the people watching.

Earl of Sandwich—I had the Holiday turkey special (Thanksgiving on a roll!) and DH had the turkey club. There’s a reason there is a line…it’s good stuff!

House of Blues Gospel Brunch—BEST MEAL OF THE TRIP! The food was excellent. Soul food, omelet bar, carving station and shrimp bowl. Yum!
The show was as good or better than the food. Amazing talent, energizing and a good time, even if you aren’t a churchgoer.

Restaurantasaurus—meh.

Promenade Refreshments (Epcot)—that is NOT a smoothie!

Captain’s Grille (Yacht Club)—a little loud, but the food was excellent. I had the turkey sandwich, which is unlike any turkey sandwich I’ve ever had. DH had the fish and chips and they were also great. This is one meal that I would pay the same amount for if it weren’t at Disney. A must-do if you get to the boardwalk.

ABC Commissary—is there any good food in DHS?

Toluca Legs Turkey Company—reminded me of the state fair.

Aloha Isle—40 degrees and rainy, and I was bound and determined to get my Dole whip!

Thanks for the report. A question for you: did you report the "water pressure" to the front desk? The reason I ask is that we've stayed at the CSR eight times (it is our home away from home) and we have never had a problem with water pressure. Overall, it sounds like you had a great trip. And we agree with you on Cosmic Rays--awesome cheeseburgers.

We did ask about the water pressure...not a huge deal, but we were happy to get home to our own shower. We were near a housekeeping unit, and I wonder if their laundry or something had anything to do with it. Glad to hear that isn't usually a problem though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter