Two 1-way tickets or round trip on Delta?

Julylady

DIS Veteran
Hi
We are planning a WDW visit for late March during our K-12 spring break. I just checked today and I can now purchase the first leg of the journey. If I want to purchase a round trip ticket I will need to wait another 12 days. The one way price I am seeing is actually a bit lower than 1/2 of a round trip fare that I usually pay.

My question. Is there any disadvantage to purchasing two one-way fares instead of one round trip fare if the price is right on Delta? Does anybody think I will see an even better deal if I wait another 12 days? I usually purchase these tickets as soon as they are available since flights sell out quickly during this vacation period.

THANKS

Buying two one way tickets is fine. For a domestic flight, the price should be the same as a round trip. As far as getting a better deal in 12 days, who knows?

Price-wise, it can be advantageous to book one way fares, and I have done this on Delta numerous times in the same situation you are describing.

But, you have to also take into account the disadvantages. Delta's change fee for a domestic flight is $200 per ticket, therefore if you have make any changes, it's $400 for both flights. If you had to cancel a round trip flight, you could receive a credit for any amount over the $200 to be used within a year, but if you cancel 2 one way tickets, the $400 fee would most likely eat up any potential refund.

The other worry would be if there were a problem with the flight over, that could cause you to miss the flight back. With a round trip ticket, Delta would likely be flexible with the return. With one way tickets, the trips are "separate". A weather delay or cancellation of the first flight will not matter for the return flight. Delta would still expect you to fly the return one way ticket, even of you were unable to make it to Orlando on the first flight.

I used to buy one way tickets often, but now I am hesitant. Over the years, I have had 3 trips to WDW delayed because of weather, once for a blizzard in my home city and twice for Hurricanes in Orlando. Luckily for me, all 3 of those tickets were round trip and Delta was very accommodating changing the flights down and extending the flights back.

I used to buy one way tickets often, but now I am hesitant. Over the years, I have had 3 trips to WDW delayed because of weather, once for a blizzard in my home city and twice for Hurricanes in Orlando. Luckily for me, all 3 of those tickets were round trip and Delta was very accommodating changing the flights down and extending the flights back.

Sound like you should be buying travel insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter