twinkybel81 & workmantm's Wishes VR 12.06.16 Japan/ADH/Lochside UPDATE 11/23 Two Weeks Out!

I love the Mary Janes!! I had a pair of those exact docs in high school, and once they were broken in, most comfortable shoes ever. I loved them, and if you care well for them, they last a really long time. So cool you're going to use those!

I love the Sally themed socks too. I would personally go with the thigh high ones vs the over the knee, but that is because I cannot get a pair of over the knee socks to stay up and that sounds like the last thing I would want to be constantly adjusting on my wedding day. However, if both styles work for you, it is a tough call (and if you have any tips/tricks/magic to make over the knee socks not live below the knee, please share haha). Order a pair of each and see which you like better with your dress?

I'm so behind but I've finally caught up!
Yay for getting penciled in!!! :cheer2:
I feel like once that important step is done, everything really starts to get moving!

I love the Mary Jane's with the Sally inspired socks!!!!
I definitely agree that you should order both and see which ones you like best!
Hopefully the site has a good return policy so you can send the unwanted ones back or just keep them both!

I would personally go with the thigh high ones vs the over the knee,

I will likely lean toward the over the knee or thigh high length over the knee highs. I'll also cut the binding/band off the top and then wear a garter belt to keep them up so I don't have to fiddle with them once I put them on. a) I am very much a "put it on and go" kind of girl, I detest having to work to maintain a look at several points throughout the day, it's too much work. ;) and b) I have never been, nor will I ever be, a slender thigh kind of gal, so anything that goes above my knee eventually rolls itself down if it isn't secured to a garter.

if you have any tips/tricks/magic to make over the knee socks not live below the knee, please share haha

Lol! Boy if I ever figure that out, I will be sure to let you know, because I am definitely lacking in that magic!

Hopefully the site has a good return policy so you can send the unwanted ones back or just keep them both!

They do have an awesome return policy. They are pretty much the only website that I will order thigh highs/pantyhose/etc from because they rock on so many levels!

Thank you both for commenting, I was starting to worry that maybe people don't like the way I write, because I could see that people were reading but not commenting and I was really bummed out. :goodvibes

Cute socks & Docs!

Yea, I'm like you too, I need a hard copy of stuff & need an organizer. I have mine in a 3 ring binder. And it's starting to get stuffed! LOL

So in case anyone was wondering what my shoe inspiration is, you're in luck!!!!

I've wanted a pair of these shoes since I was in high school (a long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), so I'd be tickled to finally have a reason to spend money on them:

http://www.drmartens.com/us/Women%2527s-Boots-%2526-Shoes/8065-MARY-JANE/p/12916001

And then I would wear something along these lines with them, firstly because I love stripes and secondly because it would be a nod to Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas, which is one of our themes:

http://www.sockdreams.com/products/striped-over-the-knee?t=744&

http://www.sockdreams.com/products/foot-traffic-striped-thigh-highs?t=2680&

http://www.sockdreams.com/products/striped-otk-with-ruched-top?t=11243&

What do you guys think?

Excited about following your planning journal! Those shoes are, as we said in high school, "dope".

I'm reading now and commenting since I just decided to start a VR pj for next June. I feel like I'm so far behind already. I can't wait to hear about your sites.

I called DFTW yesterday morning to follow up, per the instructions of the woman we spoke to Friday morning. I spoke to a different woman this time and she gave me a touch of attitude, telling me that it was generally 3 business days before they called. I politely explained to her that it had been 3 business days and that I was merely following the instructions of the other person who had helped us and that I wasn't trying to be a pest. She looked up my name and told be that we had been assigned to Kristi and that she was currently in a meeting and that the person I was speaking to would send her a reminder email.

Kristi finally called me at around 12:30 in the afternoon. pixiedust: I ended up on the phone with her for about a half an hour, asking a lot of the questions that I had been gathering over the past couple of months. She gave me a bit of pushback after one of my questions telling me that I was doing myself a disservice by reading about what other brides have done and that what other brides have done isn't the best way to do things, and that I need to trust Disney because they are the experts and will tell me the best way to do things. Figured out pretty quick that she isn't overly a fan of Carrie's book, saying it "has some good information in it, but there is a lot of inaccurate information as well", so I won't be mentioning her book directly anymore. I let her know that we know that they are the experts, but that 1) we are on a budget and want to make the absolute best use of our money, and 2) we are going to have ideas of our own on how to do things, that we are going to throw out as alternatives to what "Disney says is best", but that I hadn't meant to say they don't know what they are doing. Basically letting her know that we aren't just going to necessarily say yes to the first thing they suggest and that we are not pushovers, without using quite so many words. She calmed back down after that, but I was a little bummed that she was already giving me some attitude/pushback. She seems to know her stuff and has already answered some of the subsequent emails I have sent her, and we are in the process of scheduling our site visit for our trip in a couple months, so I'm hoping that things will continue smoothly. She didn't pencil us in like I thought they were supposed to either, but maybe she did it and didn't say anything, or I am misunderstanding the process a bit.

She got really good reviews a few years ago over on disneybrides.com, but there was nothing recent. Has anyone else here dealt with her?

Also, she made the comment that chartered transportation is required for Epcot ceremonies and receptions, rather than having the option of using some of the one way transport to save money. Can anyone else to speak to this?

Thanks for your help and have a great day! :cheer2:

Hello,

I was reading through your posts, and I am interested in becoming a member of disneybrides.com. How do I become a member? I read that somebody has to refer you in order to get access.

Thanks,
Mandy

Hello,

I was reading through your posts, and I am interested in becoming a member of disneybrides.com. How do I become a member? I read that somebody has to refer you in order to get access.

Thanks,
Mandy

To be completely honest, I haven't been on there for ages, so I am pretty sure they have deactivated my account by now. I was not referred by anyone, and if memory serves, I just went to the website, created a profile (just the user name and password), and then submitted it for review, as it were. One of the moderators then contacted me and I believe had me read and agree to their guidelines and restrictions, and then I was granted access. Sorry I don't have more specific info for you. Good luck!

Woohoo, an actual wedding related update!

Today I scheduled the last appointment for my first official day of dress shopping!!! The Saturday before Thanksgiving, I will be joined by my Mom, my sister (and possibly my nephew), my friend (my other MOH), and potentially my Dad. The plan is to start out the day at a local brunch restaurant and I will treat everyone to breakfast, and then head to my appointments at 3 different salons, so it's going to be a pretty full day. I'm excited (and nervous due to my weight struggles that the Dr's still have not figured out), but more excited than anything else. This step makes the whole thing feel a little bit more real to me. :yay:

The current plan is for this day to be mostly about figuring out what I really want, narrowing things down, and finding out if what I am drawn toward is even close to the budget I am trying to stay within for my dress. I tend to have expensive tastes without trying, so I want to have enough time, just in case that happens again, to search for my dream gown used/discounted if need be, or enough time to save up some extra moolah so that I can feel truly beautiful and happy on our day. I am torn between wanting to feel completely fabulous and special, and not wanting to spend an **** ton of $$ on something I am only going to wear for 1 day. :upsidedow

Yay for dress shopping!! I think trying on different styles to narrow things down first is a good idea. That way, you at least know a basic style you want when you start focusing on budget. :)

I cant wait to read about dress shopping!!
Trying on different styles is a great idea!!
I've learned from my own experience that you may end up loving something you didn't think you would!

I cant wait to read about dress shopping!!
Trying on different styles is a great idea!!
I've learned from my own experience that you may end up loving something you didn't think you would!

I'm quite intrigued to see how the day will go. Last summer I thought I had narrowed down what I wanted (when you were planning it for December 2015), but since then I have basically moved in a different direction, lol. I do know that whichever way I go, it will likely be at one end of the spectrum or the other, nothing in between. ;)

Can't wait to share, only a few more weeks now! Thanks for still following along.

Woohoo, an actual wedding related update!

Today I scheduled the last appointment for my first official day of dress shopping!!! The Saturday before Thanksgiving, I will be joined by my Mom, my sister (and possibly my nephew), my friend (my other MOH), and potentially my Dad. The plan is to start out the day at a local brunch restaurant and I will treat everyone to breakfast, and then head to my appointments at 3 different salons, so it's going to be a pretty full day. I'm excited (and nervous due to my weight struggles that the Dr's still have not figured out), but more excited than anything else. This step makes the whole thing feel a little bit more real to me. :yay:

The current plan is for this day to be mostly about figuring out what I really want, narrowing things down, and finding out if what I am drawn toward is even close to the budget I am trying to stay within for my dress. I tend to have expensive tastes without trying, so I want to have enough time, just in case that happens again, to search for my dream gown used/discounted if need be, or enough time to save up some extra moolah so that I can feel truly beautiful and happy on our day. I am torn between wanting to feel completely fabulous and special, and not wanting to spend an **** ton of $$ on something I am only going to wear for 1 day. :upsidedow

So exciting!! Agree that narrowing down what you want is important. I also didn't want to blow the bank on a dress, and like you, I gravitate towards expensiveness. Eh, whatcha gonna do, right? :D I got the sample of the dress I wanted at a discount, so maybe that's an option for you? Hope you have a fantastic dress shopping day, and hope you find something you love!!! ::yes::

So I went dress shopping the Saturday before Thanksgiving and had a marvelous time, but this is the first time I've had a moment to sit down to share about it. In attendance were my mom, dad, sister, and my friend who is my other MOH (sis being the other). I took everyone out to breakfast to start off the day since we had 3 appointments at approx an hour and half each to get through that day. This day ended up being so much fun and excitement and happiness, couldn't have asked for a better experience. All 3 consultants were lovely, not pushy sales people!! (I detest pushy sales people).

I ended up finding my dress at the first salon we visited!!! I didn't cry, but I had this emotional moment and connection to the dress that I wasn't expecting to have, since a lot of that is just hype from TV. My friend said she couldn't describe it in words, but that my demeanor and walk changed completely when I came out in it. I'm still so giddy, I keep going and looking at the pictures over and over, hehe. It's exactly what I wanted. It is $600 more than I was hoping to spend, but it is well worth every penny. My parents have graciously offered to give me the $600 difference if I really feel it is the one (my whole party was in agreement that it was). I am planning to head back to the salon at the end of January to place my deposit and have them order the dress for me. 2 reasons for waiting, 1) hoping to lose 5-10lbs by the time I get measured for ordering (even that little amount makes a lot of difference on my frame), and 2) we have a ton of large expenses coming up in the next 6-8 weeks (deposit to Disney (we will be finding out for sure on our date and locations while we are out at the World next week), downpayment to photographer, vacation, Christmas, and anniversary), so I am trying to pace the budget a bit, since I am still good timing wise. I can't post any pictures of the dress here because my hubby watches our PJ. So for now I will post some pictures of some of the other dresses I tried on that day. If you'd like to see The One, just shoot me a PM and I can send them to you there. Also, please excuse my many random faces. ;)

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
Wow....they let you take photos. Every boutique worth an ounce here BANS ALL photography (Primarily of you in the dress) because so many people take a photo...then go to a dressmaker to make it for them cheaper. This is especially true of those who travel to China and get it made there. Now...tbh there's not a lot in the ones I was looking at you could get MUCH cheaper (and I wouldn't have the time or patience anyway) because of the labour intensive beading but some of the designers .....ohhh ya!

The Vera Wang type Boutiques actually charge a fee of around $150 for you to just try on dresses which is deducted from the cost of the dress should you order.

I have a photo on the stand of the dress I ordered but that's it. Because we placed an order we might have been able to have taken a photo at that point with me in it but that's it...

Yay! Congrats on finding your dress!! :cheer2:
You look amazing in all of those dresses!
They are all so different and fun and completely beautiful!

That's exactly how I felt when I finally found my dress.
I didn't cry, I just had that connection and knew it was my dress.
My Bridesmaids said I walked out completely different when I had the dress on, opposed to the other ones.

I cant wait to see the one you picked! I'm sure it's absolutely stunning!!

Wow you look beautiful in all of them. SO happy you found the right one for you! Can't wait to see it on you!
Congrats

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter