• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Twice As Nice & Double the Fun: an offsite October PTR where “2” is the magic number

Hopping over from your other TR's to wave hello and say how much I'm enjoying reading your plans for your October/December trips. I also want to say a hearty congratulations on 18 years of good health! As long as you have that, everything else is a bonus. :thumbsup2

I'm in the midst of planning our November trip which is only 92 days away. :cool1: We have WDW AP's so this trip will be Disney focused but I'm getting lots of ideas for our next Orlando vacation. I'd love to go back to Sea World as we haven't been since the kids were small. Our 'baby' is now 24, so that gives you a clue as to how long ago that was. :rolleyes: We've also never done either Aquatica or Discovery Cove and they both sound amazing! And then there's USO and IOA. I think I need to win the lottery, LOL.

I have a question regarding SW annual passes. If you purchase them online, do they work like Disney AP's in that they aren't active until your first park visit? Or are they active on the day of purchase?

Best of luck in the hunt for a second costume! I really hope the shop owner can put together something amazing for Steve. :goodvibes

The interview wasn't much of an interview, which I kind of figured. She knew of me, which I knew she would from the volunteer role I've had the past few years. She was ready to hire me off my resume based off my volunteer experience with them but also liked my work history. She asked me one maybe two questions. The challenge is the exec director wants the job to be local at their office but they haven't gotten any local candidates yet, and it's part time. So she understand the two challenges and will hopefully have an update a week from Monday. If they don't get any local candidates she'll work on getting the job remote and I can only hope they would see and understand what I can do with the role and that it should go back to full time. Not sure I can find a part time job I would tolerate, let alone like that would work with it, plus I don't really want to do that. Where I'm temping wants to hire me full time so while it's not what I want to do it's interesting, my days are never the same and I like the people I work with, so it would be hard to turn down full time with benefits for two part time jobs with the hope that one could maybe go full time. It'll all work out how it's supposed to, there's not really anything I can do but cross my fingers and wait.

I hope the owner has been able to put something together for Steve. :wizard: Two sets of costumes for you guys would be double the fun! :teeth: :teeth:

Thanks....me too!!! ::yes::

Planning a trip with a friend. Sounds like fun. We are hoping to go with my cousin and her family at the end of January. I'm a bit nervous about it as I think they have a slightly different touring style than us.

We leave for our next trip on Sept 3. I can't wait. Bought SeaBands for DH for this trip. HOpefully it will keep his motion sickness in check this time. We decided to not go to Discovery Cove :( My parents didn't really want to go and neither did DH. Ah well there's always next time. Now we are waiting for Sea World to publish the September bring a friend for free info. We got a postcard from Aquatica for it a few weeks ago but there is nothing on the website yet.

That's too bad about DC: I know it was a place you had wanted to visit. Waiting a year or two might be a good idea anyway, since you were a bit unsure of how Duncan would approach the dolphin swim. Kids mature and grow so fast, I bet he'll be ready and raring to take part on your trip-after-next :) .

If it helps, I was able to find this information on the SeaWorld site in regards to the September pass member offers:

SEPTEMBER: Friend for Free: Online reservation required. Valid for one visit from September 1-30, 2016. Check park hours before arrival. Will not be replaced if lost or stolen and will be confiscated if misused. Please note that each Pass Member must log in separately to redeem this offer. Limit one per Pass Member. If you purchased your Annual Pass online you will have to visit the park and redeem your voucher for a Pass with a barcode before being able to redeem this offer. Free Lanyard & Pouch and Beach Cleanup: Please refer to Pass Member website for upcoming benefits. Limit one per Pass Member.

It's in the fine print on the bottom of the "Benefits and Rewards" page.

Hopping over from your other TR's to wave hello and say how much I'm enjoying reading your plans for your October/December trips. I also want to say a hearty congratulations on 18 years of good health! As long as you have that, everything else is a bonus. :thumbsup2

I'm in the midst of planning our November trip which is only 92 days away. :cool1: We have WDW AP's so this trip will be Disney focused but I'm getting lots of ideas for our next Orlando vacation. I'd love to go back to Sea World as we haven't been since the kids were small. Our 'baby' is now 24, so that gives you a clue as to how long ago that was. :rolleyes: We've also never done either Aquatica or Discovery Cove and they both sound amazing! And then there's USO and IOA. I think I need to win the lottery, LOL.

I have a question regarding SW annual passes. If you purchase them online, do they work like Disney AP's in that they aren't active until your first park visit? Or are they active on the day of purchase?

Best of luck in the hunt for a second costume! I really hope the shop owner can put together something amazing for Steve. :goodvibes

Hi MrsB1228 :goodvibes . Glad to have you here and joining in! Thanks for the congratulations and all the kind compliments, they are both much appreciated :blush: .

You are correct that the SeaWorld AP's are not activated until you visit the park for the first time. If you buy them on the Black Friday BOGO sale (assuming they offer the same promotion again this year) you have one year from the date of purchase to activate the passes.

I think you would really enjoy both the SeaWorld and Universal parks very much. They are completely different than the Disney experience, but equally awesome just the same. Definitely keep them in mind for future trips: I am certain you won't be disappointed :) .

I can't quote part is a message from my phone Gina, so yes the interview is at 3. Leaving work an hour early for it ☺ thanks for the luck!

The interview wasn't much of an interview, which I kind of figured. She knew of me, which I knew she would from the volunteer role I've had the past few years. She was ready to hire me off my resume based off my volunteer experience with them but also liked my work history. She asked me one maybe two questions. The challenge is the exec director wants the job to be local at their office but they haven't gotten any local candidates yet, and it's part time. So she understand the two challenges and will hopefully have an update a week from Monday. If they don't get any local candidates she'll work on getting the job remote and I can only hope they would see and understand what I can do with the role and that it should go back to full time. Not sure I can find a part time job I would tolerate, let alone like that would work with it, plus I don't really want to do that. Where I'm temping wants to hire me full time so while it's not what I want to do it's interesting, my days are never the same and I like the people I work with, so it would be hard to turn down full time with benefits for two part time jobs with the hope that one could maybe go full time. It'll all work out how it's supposed to, there's not really anything I can do but cross my fingers and wait.

Thanks so much for the update. Waiting for news is just the pits: I hope they make their decision and don't keep you guessing very long. Sending lots of prayers and good wishes your way tonight :goodvibes . Do keep us posted once you have news!

Just convinced the kids into enjoying a dinner at Trails End the day we arrive. I would love to see the fort all decorated. Might even try for a Kona breakfast and take a tour of the mono resorts. Hmmm. Starting to fill in the days besides the parks. Asked the kids about the ICE exhibit, and both turned their noses up. So, I guess I need to think of other. As it gets closer, I am sure more holiday things will be advertised. I do plan on doing the Wheel, with a holiday pod, and enjoying the aquarium and maybe the skeleton place too. Hoping they will offer a Black Friday deal and I can also get a regular two or three pass at a discount from Shades of Green.

I guess no fast and furious planning yet.

Got myself Halloween ears. That, and my old Halloween Mickey ears shirt will be my costume. Think it is less than a month before the first party. It will be neat to hear reports of the parties before ours. Finished all my fast passes and have most of my days set. Funny, for Universal, just my resort and renew of AP is all the planning I did.

Sounds like you are having fun planning. Me too.:)

@Mrs Doubtfire .... it sounds like some Hoop Dee Doo ADR's are starting to open up again for the September to January time period. A few Disers were reporting success in booking earlier today. It might be worth checking your date to see if anything pops up (the day we are hoping for is still showing as unavailable, but this thread gives me hope!):

http://www.disboards.com/threads/hoop-de-do.3523304/page-4#post-56222922

Thanks Gina but still nothing showing for my dates :rolleyes: will keep trying!

Thank for that info. I did see that but there is no place to sign up yet. I'm thinking maybe on Monday since that is when the Mako front of the line thing is over. We scheduled our behind the scenes tour for Sept 10 so will have to make sure we sign up for the free tickets that day and then pick one more day.

I am so glad you two had a fun little getaway in Gatlinburg! My parents went there about 5 years before my father passed away, and they loved Tennessee: as big country music fans, visiting Dollywood was a highlight for them both. I'd love to go someday, especially as a little tribute to my dad. If (when?) that time comes, I'll be picking your brain for advice :goodvibes .

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is about a three hour drive from here and we love going. The best time to go is either in the autumn when the leaves begin to change color or during Christmas time when they have about a zillion twinkle lights up. It's something to see. It's funny you mentioned that about honoring your dad though. Prior to my dad passing away, he, mom and I would make an annual trip to Pigeon Forge for Father's Day weekend. He had the most patience when it came to "his girls" shopping and was a pro at holding bags and saying things like "oh, that's pretty" and "yes, you should buy that". He never complained that he spent Father's Day weekend shopping, or that it was hot and crowded. I suspect that time with us was what he enjoyed. That and a run through the tool store on the way home!

Soooo dropping in and reading 19 pages of your PTR! Holy cow, I have missed a lot, I think I need to finish up your TR from your last trip still! Life kinda of got crazy this Summer after we got back from our USO trip and school started back yesterday. So 2 trips in the works and yes I am slightly jealous! lol looks like next year is a no go for big vacation for us, hoping for an awesome Disney trip in 2018 though. It would be the youngest dds first trip and my oldest dds graduation trip. I am trying to not think about that part!

I need to re-read some of your updates so I can be sure I am all caught up, but it sounds like you have a fab trip planned for Oct so far! I like the 2s deal lol and honestly I like getting more than 1 day at most places too, I can relax and enjoy it more. That is why we do 4-5 days at USO, even though only 2-3 is needed. We still have not done everything though! We will head back there probably in 2019 (so far away!) and hopefully get to enjoy all the new stuff! We missed Kong by a few days, of course Hulk was closed as well when we were there in May-June. We should be able to enjoy Jimmy Fallon by then too, right? lol who knows what else will be new by then! :p

Can't wait to read more!

Hello!!!! Just popping in to visit. I'm so busy at the moment with work and life there has been little to no time to get back here and chat. I had three pages to read, when did all that happen? Heading off to Cuba next Saturday and off course work has blown up and DH was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with high blood pressure. I've done nothing but work and gone back and forth to the Dr. with the hubs. I'm living in Calgon take me away ville.

Funny, I knew our family Dr before she was our Dr so the relationship is a little different. She looks at me last week when we were in her office and says "so this is how old you are now". I said "what do you mean?" She then says "you have to bring your hubby to see me because he doesn't listen any more." The only person in the room NOT laughing was DH....because he didn't hear what she said. :rotfl2:

Just convinced the kids into enjoying a dinner at Trails End the day we arrive. I would love to see the fort all decorated. Might even try for a Kona breakfast and take a tour of the mono resorts. Hmmm. Starting to fill in the days besides the parks. Asked the kids about the ICE exhibit, and both turned their noses up. So, I guess I need to think of other. As it gets closer, I am sure more holiday things will be advertised. I do plan on doing the Wheel, with a holiday pod, and enjoying the aquarium and maybe the skeleton place too. Hoping they will offer a Black Friday deal and I can also get a regular two or three pass at a discount from Shades of Green.

I guess no fast and furious planning yet.

Got myself Halloween ears. That, and my old Halloween Mickey ears shirt will be my costume. Think it is less than a month before the first party. It will be neat to hear reports of the parties before ours. Finished all my fast passes and have most of my days set. Funny, for Universal, just my resort and renew of AP is all the planning I did.

Sounds like you are having fun planning. Me too.:)

We have been tossing around the idea of a tour of the monorail resorts, too: I'd especially like to see the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian. It's on the "possible" list but hasn't quite made it on the planning spreadsheet just yet ;) .

I think you will really enjoy the Orlando Eye and all the Frostival events that they host. The themed pod is SO worth it, in my opinion. We loved the Christmas music, the beautiful decorations, and especially having the pod all to ourselves versus with a larger group. Have you decided if you will ride it at night or during the daytime?

Will you guys try and squeeze in a day at Aquatica if the weather is favourable? I see on the pass member site that their monthly special offer for December is a cabana rental (which includes the cabana with fridge, towel rentals, 12 Dasani waters, and a large locker inside your reserved area) plus four 1-time dines at Banana Beach for $65. Its very tempting! :beach:

Thanks Gina but still nothing showing for my dates :rolleyes: will keep trying!

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why some people are able to book and others aren't :confused:. I even saw that someone was able to book yesterday for the date we were hoping to get (December 21st). Both Kerry and I have been checking for ADR availability multiple times a day, and have both consistently come up empty. It's so bizarre!

Thank for that info. I did see that but there is no place to sign up yet. I'm thinking maybe on Monday since that is when the Mako front of the line thing is over. We scheduled our behind the scenes tour for Sept 10 so will have to make sure we sign up for the free tickets that day and then pick one more day.

Oh good, you decided to do the Behind the Scenes tour! Madeline and Duncan will love the chance to pet a penguin. I think you will all really enjoy it!

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is about a three hour drive from here and we love going. The best time to go is either in the autumn when the leaves begin to change color or during Christmas time when they have about a zillion twinkle lights up. It's something to see. It's funny you mentioned that about honoring your dad though. Prior to my dad passing away, he, mom and I would make an annual trip to Pigeon Forge for Father's Day weekend. He had the most patience when it came to "his girls" shopping and was a pro at holding bags and saying things like "oh, that's pretty" and "yes, you should buy that". He never complained that he spent Father's Day weekend shopping, or that it was hot and crowded. I suspect that time with us was what he enjoyed. That and a run through the tool store on the way home!

Aw Ruthie, what sweet memories. That little story just touched my heart. You must miss him fiercely: those kinds of awesome Dads leave some big voids that can never be filled.

I never thought about Christmas at Pigeon Forge, but you're sure making it sound appealling. What airport would be closest to fly into? Is there one in Gatlinburg?

Soooo dropping in and reading 19 pages of your PTR! Holy cow, I have missed a lot, I think I need to finish up your TR from your last trip still! Life kinda of got crazy this Summer after we got back from our USO trip and school started back yesterday. So 2 trips in the works and yes I am slightly jealous! lol looks like next year is a no go for big vacation for us, hoping for an awesome Disney trip in 2018 though. It would be the youngest dds first trip and my oldest dds graduation trip. I am trying to not think about that part!

I need to re-read some of your updates so I can be sure I am all caught up, but it sounds like you have a fab trip planned for Oct so far! I like the 2s deal lol and honestly I like getting more than 1 day at most places too, I can relax and enjoy it more. That is why we do 4-5 days at USO, even though only 2-3 is needed. We still have not done everything though! We will head back there probably in 2019 (so far away!) and hopefully get to enjoy all the new stuff! We missed Kong by a few days, of course Hulk was closed as well when we were there in May-June. We should be able to enjoy Jimmy Fallon by then too, right? lol who knows what else will be new by then! :p

Can't wait to read more!

School starts back SO early for you guys in the south! Kids here in Canada don't generally start back until after Labour Day weekend, so they've got another month of summer vacation yet to go. But, they also stay in class until the end of June....so it all works out in the wash, I guess.

You have absolutely hit the nail on the head: at this stage of our lives, while we like to have busy vacations (busy from a "lots of fun stuff to do" standpoint), we don't like it to be rushed, chaotic, or with any kind of frantic pace. Allowing ourselves twice the amount of time for each park or attraction allows us to relax and enjoy our days twice as much. Maybe its a sign of getting older? I hope not :rolleyes2 but yet, perhaps.......

I bet Universal will be a whole new beast by 2019 ::yes:: . I would think their new Secret Life of Pets ride will be open, and the new water park will be long since operational (Volcano Bay). Having a little break to enjoy Disney in between will just make your next Universal trip that much more fun, too :thumbsup2 . Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Hello!!!! Just popping in to visit. I'm so busy at the moment with work and life there has been little to no time to get back here and chat. I had three pages to read, when did all that happen? Heading off to Cuba next Saturday and off course work has blown up and DH was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with high blood pressure. I've done nothing but work and gone back and forth to the Dr. with the hubs. I'm living in Calgon take me away ville.

Funny, I knew our family Dr before she was our Dr so the relationship is a little different. She looks at me last week when we were in her office and says "so this is how old you are now". I said "what do you mean?" She then says "you have to bring your hubby to see me because he doesn't listen any more." The only person in the room NOT laughing was DH....because he didn't hear what she said. :rotfl2:

I am so glad you stopped to check in! I was planning on emailing you by the end of the week if you didn't soon surface. I was wondering if I had either (a) bored you enough that you jumped ship, (b) somehow managed to insult you (is that even possible? I think you have the most fun sense of humour of anyone I know) or (c) that things had unravelled with your DH's job. I didn't like ANY of those options so I was waiting it out and hoping for the best. Now that you're here (or were here, as the case may be) I feel so much better :blush: .

Well, somewhat better. I am sorry that your Beloved is suffering from high blood pressure :( . Not what either of you needed before your vacation (be sure to get some good out of country medical coverage, just in case). And I am gutted to hear that things at his job have not settled down since we last chatted. Rotten all around. We've been thinking of you guys and sending lots of good vibes your way, but obviously we need to kick it up a notch.

I hope you plan to use the spotty Cuban wifi to check in every now and again: we'd all love a beach selfie or two. You are certainly due for a relaxing, peaceful, uninterruped week in the sun. I hope Grumpy Cat is helping to get you guys excited about your impending departure, despite all the other stuff that's muddying the waters on a personal level.

I have to ask, though.......isn't it awkward to have a doctor who you had a friendship (or at least, was aquainted with) before your relationship expanded to a medical level? Or am I just weird? (nevermind....don't answer that :ssst: )

Yep, I will be going to Aquadica, and thanks for the cabana tip. Will take advantage of that for sure, Hey, remember, we are northerners too, so even a starting temp of 62, did not stop us from enjoying the park. Our favorite ride was as warm as bath water, and that and a big pile of towels made the visit fun. Off to see if there is a Kona breakfast time that will mesh with our plans.

I kind of want to go back at Christmas time to Disney again. I got sick midway thru our last trip, and was miserable. I missed the GF gingerbread house and was so excited to see it, but I had gone back to our hotel to nap when the sister and mom went :( I ended up sick for almost two months til finally getting better.

I never thought about Christmas at Pigeon Forge, but you're sure making it sound appealling. What airport would be closest to fly into? Is there one in Gatlinburg?

The closest airport would be Knoxville. That's a 30 minute drive to Pigeon Forge and maybe another 15 minutes to Gatlinburg.

I don't think visiting the monorail resorts just to see the decorations, even the GF, is worth it? I think it's ok if you are there for some other reason anyway, but I wouldn't make a separate trip out of it. The Contemporary doesn't have much, nor does the Poly. The gingerbread house is cute at the GF, but it takes about 5 minutes and then you're done. The trees are pretty there, but again, not worth a separate trip unless you dining somewhere on the monorail anyway or something like that. Just my 2 cents! :)

I agree. It used to be worth it. I remember when I was a kid they gave out cookies and cider at the monorail resorts. They also had carolers and the Grand Floridian was actually roasting chestnuts on an open fire. When we went a few years ago the Poly had nothing, the Contemporary had a small gingerbread display near the gift shop and the Grand had the gingerbread house.

They did have a lot of gingerbread displays on the upper floor of the Land at Epcot though. Seems they moved everything over there that used to be in the hotels.

I agree. It used to be worth it. I remember when I was a kid they gave out cookies and cider at the monorail resorts. They also had carolers and the Grand Floridian was actually roasting chestnuts on an open fire. When we went a few years ago the Poly had nothing, the Contemporary had a small gingerbread display near the gift shop and the Grand had the gingerbread house.

They did have a lot of gingerbread displays on the upper floor of the Land at Epcot though. Seems they moved everything over there that used to be in the hotels.

I'm finally here! I remember the roasted chestnuts. The contemporary used to have a band playing Christmas music too. Does anyone remember the Christmas dinner and show at the contemporary ballroom?
The yacht and beach club used to have incredible displays. Do they still have them?

I don't know about the Yacht and Beach club. We didn't stop in the last time we were there. They did have excellent displays there too though. I would assume they stopped putting most of that stuff up too.

I wonder what year they stopped the extravagance. The last Christmas I was there when they had all of the great decor was 1998 and then I think it was 2012(maybe) when it was sparse.

Hi Gina ~ I have been following your reports for quite a while (stalker-HA). Really just shy and quiet. Not sure what motivated me to post but here I am.

Perhaps it was the "gangster costume" - Have you given thought to just buying a real suit? Large pinstripe with large lapel. It would probably be comparable in cost. Also, do you have Goodwill or Salvation Army type stores up there in Canada that you could shop weekly. Might potentially find something you could put together yourself that way.

My name is Jane. I live in Massachusetts. I have two adult kids Pat - 30, Kate - 26 this year and 3 fur babies (dogs). I feel old typing that. Husband and I met in high school got married and still having fun. I am the FL lover he is not so much but beginning to enjoy too.

I enjoy reading about your trips so much you give some great travel advice and your style is fantastic and upbeat....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter