Twice As Nice & Double the Fun: an offsite October PTR where “2” is the magic number

Details? Well I think the hubs is feeling a little left out or something. He asked for a vacation which is sooooo not him. If I didn't tell him we were taking a trip he would never go any place. Normally, he doesn't care if he takes any time off work. Last year he only took the two days off for our long weekend in WDW in December. A couple of weeks ago he asked if we were taking a summer vacay and I said probably not. He then said he wanted to take a trip so I should figure something out. Grumpy Cat then throws her hat in the ring and wants to go to Cuba. I checked out Florida first and then on a whim I looked at Cuba. Turns out that Cuba comes in at about $1600 less and when you weren't panning a trip and the vacay account is a little low...:confused3.

So I found the most gorgeous brand new resort that gets rave reviews and it's a very reasonable (actually cheap) price.
Have a look... https://www.westjet.com/vacations/en/hotels/hotel-overview.page?hotelID=SNUOCM

Funny thing is I've never had any interest in going to Cuba. I guess after finding this resort I'm kind of excited. I'm also thinking that once the doors open up to American tourists things will change, probably for the better, but I want to see it in it's Cuban simplicity. It will be very interesting being in a country where something as everyday as Coke or Pepsi do not exist. I've travelled to many countries all over the world and they have all had the things that are so common to us.

LOL....haven't told GC that the WiFi is extremely unreliable. As in hardly works. If we manage to get a little WiFi I'll try to check in with you.

Anyone want to join us August 13th?

This sounds wonderfully interesting. Are you planning to post a trip report on any site?

This sounds wonderfully interesting. Are you planning to post a trip report on any site?
No not really. I will post a resort review on Tripadvisor though.

There probably won't be much to do a trip report on other than mass quantities of mojitos and some salsa dancing with hot Cubans. The place we are going doesn't offer much in the way of excursions. It's an island attached to Cuba by a causeway. There are no locals that live on the island and only one tiny little pueblo. It will be very much a lounge at the pool kind of a week.

There probably won't be much to do a trip report on other than mass quantities of mojitos and some salsa dancing with hot Cubans. The place we are going doesn't offer much in the way of excursions. It's an island attached to Cuba by a causeway. There are no locals that live on the island and only one tiny little pueblo. It will be very much a lounge at the pool kind of a week.
It looks fabulous Dancin! Strangely enough my dh had me pricing out Cuba a little while ago too after friends were raving about their trip. Sunwing had some seriously tempting packages. It's not in the plans just yet, but I am sure we will get there one day. Definitely let us know what you thought when you get back.

Gina, I hope you had a successful shopping trip. I LOVE the Fred and Wilma Flintstone idea someone posted! I think you are smart to start looking now. I really don't like last minute Halloween costume shopping for the kids either.
I'm little sad that ds won't get to trick or treat this year. He'll be in 7th grade and around here kids really stop after grade 8. So only one more year. It's not exactly a hardship for him to skip Halloween for a Universal trip though lol.
Hmmmmmm...You know how I said DH and DD are going to HHN when were are in Orlando? I am sorely tempted to take DS over to Disney for MNSSHP. :scratchinTHAT is a Halloween activity that I would love. I bet we could Uber over. In fact I am planning to creep downstairs and pitch the idea to dh when I'm done typing. I'll let you know how it goes. I was thinking Blue Man Group too like you suggested. I'll have to see what ds thinks as I don't know which one he would enjoy more.

It looks fabulous Dancin! Strangely enough my dh had me pricing out Cuba a little while ago too after friends were raving about their trip. Sunwing had some seriously tempting packages. It's not in the plans just yet, but I am sure we will get there one day. Definitely let us know what you thought when you get back.
For sure will pass along some
info. I have a good friend who is a manager at Sunwing and she goes on trips to inspect the resorts they sell. She thinks Cuba is the bees knees. I don't put a ton of stock in her opinion though as she never travelled much prior to this job. I can get a pretty good discount through her but I've read too many articles about problems with Sunwing.

info. I have a good friend who is a manager at Sunwing and she goes on trips to inspect the resorts they sell. She thinks Cuba is the bees knees. I don't put a ton of stock in her opinion though as she never travelled much prior to this job. I can get a pretty good discount through her but I've read too many articles about problems with Sunwing.
Our friends took Sunwing for their Cuba trips and said it was fine, but some of the reviews are dreadful. I am such an awful flyer (like have to drug myself to get on the damn plane) that it makes me nervous to fly with a company with all those complaints. In fairness, they don't seem to be safety related complaints though. Our friends loved Memories Holguin, but weren't fans of Memories Varadero. They said the people are absolutely lovely and the island is beautifully unspoiled. In the end we decided to wait until we are desperate for a trip somewhere warm before we try an All Inclusive.

As for the decision for ds and I and what we will do when DH and DD go to HHN..... We're going to MNSSHP!!! We both debated a bit. We are big Disney fans and we worry that going over to Disney for such a short time might actually make us miss it or wish we were there. But we've decided to look at it as a fun bonus night and we know we'll be back to Disney soon. So my credit card is in hand, and I'm off to purchase MNSSHP tickets for October 30thpirate:.

Enjoy your afternoon off and best of luck finding fun costumes. Our family loves to coordinate fun event costumes also. Last year we were all Star Wars characters. The boys are trying to decide what I will be working on this year. :hyper2: I may be in for a lot of sleepless nights. We shall see. :rainbow:

We definitely found that being in costume for last year's Halloween parties increased the fun factor ::yes::. It is especially awesome if we can co-ordinate costumes so that we match to some degree :).

I have a huge amount of admiration for those that are creative and talented enough to make their own costumes. I am woefully inadequate on both counts....so for us its either rent or buy, or bust! :rolleyes1

What about Fred and Wilma Flintstone?!

LOL, that's an awesome idea! But not exactly what Steve had in mind :rotfl:.

I will make a prediction on that one. We've owned Sheraton (and Silver Lake) for several years now and trade around quite a bit. We have yet to find anywhere that feels as "home" as Vistana Resort. We've stayed at other Wyndham, Marriott, Vacation Village, Bluegreen and Vidanta properties as well as a few smaller ones and none have matched up, although the Vidanta (sic? - better known as Grand Mayan) properties in Mexico can come close. We have yet to try a Hilton timeshare but have high expectations if we do. The neat thing about Sheraton is that "coming home" feels about the same everywhere. Broadway Plantation and Vistana Villages felt just like Vistana Resort to us.

If you do go for the Fallsview room, I would suggest the Sheraton Fallsview. We've stayed there and at the Marriott and the Sheraton has a much better viewing angle for the falls. Keep an eye out for "couples getaway" packages for the fall shoulder season. We seem to get a raft of offers late summer every year. Good room price plus a few dining perks - the dinner won't work, but it often includes a great breakfast. Possibly in the same price range as your current selection. If any land in my inbox, I'll forward the deal along. About the only negative for the Sheraton is that the parking structure is about a block away (at the indoor waterpark) so a short walk back, or use the valet.

ETA: and reading that over, I seem to really sound like an ad for Sheraton. Honestly we "sleep around" a lot, but always seem to come back to the same spot. DDS - I'm talking about the hotels here...

I almost spit out my lemonade at the sleeping around comment :rotfl2:. These threads do take on a life of their own sometimes :teeth:.

I, too, suspect that the Wyndham will be nice but the Vistana will still emerge the unwavering favourite. In fact, that's why we reserved Cypress Palms for the first week and SVR for the second: we wanted to end on a high note ::yes::. But hopefully, the Wyndham will be perfectly acceptable for the initial half of the vacation and earn a good review in the process.

As for the Niagara stay, I'm still wiffle-waffling......the affordable option versus a Fallsview splurge. I asked Steve for his input and he (sweetly) told me to pick whichever one I wanted, that he would be happy with either. A lovely sentiment but not the help I was hoping for. Sigh.

Hey Gina! We'll be at Niagara Falls tomorrow! Thanks again for your planning help!

How AWESOME! :banana: I hope you have an fantastic time, and look forward to hearing about your northern adventures once you make your way back to the sunny south! Safe travels to you and the fam.

Details? Well I think the hubs is feeling a little left out or something. He asked for a vacation which is sooooo not him. If I didn't tell him we were taking a trip he would never go any place. Normally, he doesn't care if he takes any time off work. Last year he only took the two days off for our long weekend in WDW in December. A couple of weeks ago he asked if we were taking a summer vacay and I said probably not. He then said he wanted to take a trip so I should figure something out. Grumpy Cat then throws her hat in the ring and wants to go to Cuba. I checked out Florida first and then on a whim I looked at Cuba. Turns out that Cuba comes in at about $1600 less and when you weren't panning a trip and the vacay account is a little low...:confused3.

So I found the most gorgeous brand new resort that gets rave reviews and it's a very reasonable (actually cheap) price.
Have a look... https://www.westjet.com/vacations/en/hotels/hotel-overview.page?hotelID=SNUOCM

Funny thing is I've never had any interest in going to Cuba. I guess after finding this resort I'm kind of excited. I'm also thinking that once the doors open up to American tourists things will change, probably for the better, but I want to see it in it's Cuban simplicity. It will be very interesting being in a country where something as everyday as Coke or Pepsi do not exist. I've travelled to many countries all over the world and they have all had the things that are so common to us.

LOL....haven't told GC that the WiFi is extremely unreliable. As in hardly works. If we manage to get a little WiFi I'll try to check in with you.

Anyone want to join us August 13th?

That sounds like a blast! An all inclusive is definitely a change from all the planning required for a Disney trip. What are you going to do with all of your time between now and the middle of next month? :confused3

We will be waiting for the link to the youtube videos.

Gina, I hope you had a successful shopping trip. I LOVE the Fred and Wilma Flintstone idea someone posted! I think you are smart to start looking now. I really don't like last minute Halloween costume shopping for the kids either.
I'm little sad that ds won't get to trick or treat this year. He'll be in 7th grade and around here kids really stop after grade 8. So only one more year. It's not exactly a hardship for him to skip Halloween for a Universal trip though lol.
Hmmmmmm...You know how I said DH and DD are going to HHN when were are in Orlando? I am sorely tempted to take DS over to Disney for MNSSHP. :scratchinTHAT is a Halloween activity that I would love. I bet we could Uber over. In fact I am planning to creep downstairs and pitch the idea to dh when I'm done typing. I'll let you know how it goes. I was thinking Blue Man Group too like you suggested. I'll have to see what ds thinks as I don't know which one he would enjoy more.

Steve is a difficult body to fit, so we usually have to shop early or else run the risk of going costume-less. The lady who owns the costume store here in town is ah-mazing but even she had nothing in stock that would fit my big fella. She took all of his measurements and vowed to make our vision happen if at all possible, so hopefully she'll be able to work her magic and get him fitted with exactly what we were looking for.

Which, I don't think I mentioned, is Gangster wear. Al Capone, roaring-20's style.

Since we have reservations for Capone's Dinner Show, we thought it would make the most sense to go with Gangster/Flapper costumes which we could wear twice on the trip, once to one of the MNSSHP's and once to the dinner show. Ditto, then, to the Pirate costumes: once to the other MNSSHP and the other to Pirates Dinner Adventure. We usually end up investing some serious resources into the costume purchases, so its nice to get them to do double-duty while we are there. It justifies the expense a little bit. Or, that's my story anyway ;).

So, while we didn't get Steve's costume yesterday, I did find one that I liked (though its a tad more revealing than I would like....man, those Flappers don't incorporate much material into their dresses :eek:) and Claire the Costume Goddess has vowed to fix us up in more than enough time to be ready for October. Progress has been made! .... I think :).

We flew Sunwing once, and our biggest complaint was the cramped seats. You and Grumpy Cat will be just fine, but if your DH is a big guy like my Steve, he might be rather uncomfortable as the seat width and leg room is definitely minimal.

Our friends took Sunwing for their Cuba trips and said it was fine, but some of the reviews are dreadful. I am such an awful flyer (like have to drug myself to get on the damn plane) that it makes me nervous to fly with a company with all those complaints. In fairness, they don't seem to be safety related complaints though. Our friends loved Memories Holguin, but weren't fans of Memories Varadero. They said the people are absolutely lovely and the island is beautifully unspoiled. In the end we decided to wait until we are desperate for a trip somewhere warm before we try an All Inclusive.

As for the decision for ds and I and what we will do when DH and DD go to HHN..... We're going to MNSSHP!!! We both debated a bit. We are big Disney fans and we worry that going over to Disney for such a short time might actually make us miss it or wish we were there. But we've decided to look at it as a fun bonus night and we know we'll be back to Disney soon. So my credit card is in hand, and I'm off to purchase MNSSHP tickets for October 30thpirate:.

Wahoo for the decision to book MNSSHP! :jumping1: That deserves a dance! :banana::dance3::cool1:

Disney puts on a great party, and I don't think you will be disappointed. What a fun thing for you and your DS to enjoy together. Have you decided if you are going to dress up? It truly makes it super fun. Oh, I am so excited for you two! :hyper:

Let me know if you might be interested in a Memory Maker share for that night. Our group is still looking for two more participants. It works out to be about $25 US each which is less than the one-day MM that is sold by Disney for the parties (which last year was $39, if I remember correctly). Some of the magic shots are super cool and if you're in costume, you will definitely want some photos from your big night!

You're right the Sunwing issues are customer service related. Very big ones they have been though. You've never been to an AI? You really should go. It can be very relaxing or action packed. However, not action packed where I'm going. Cuba has always been known as a 'sit on the beach and read' destination.

Good call on going to MNSSHP. I'm sure we will eventually do it again. So much fun!

That sounds like a blast! An all inclusive is definitely a change from all the planning required for a Disney trip. What are you going to do with all of your time between now and the middle of next month? :confused3
Right, not much in the planning area. Actually, nothing as far as the trip itself. I do have a little shopping to get done to prepare. I started that yesterday....bought 6 bottles of sunscreen. :cheer2: I will divide the shopping up over the next few weeks. I would be slightly painful to go out and have to spend $100+ on things like Immodium. I always pack a rather large medical kit. I much prefer to have all I might need on hand than have to try and find it onsite. I've been doing that for years though. Many of the things I have at home anyway so it's just a matter of packing it up.

Aside from the packing aspect I've got to get work prepped. Things need to be done ahead or scheduled out so that it happens after I come back. I have to try and leave things so that there is nothing to handle except the everyday stuff. Right now I'm dealing with my assistant who is really slacking and I have to decide if I'm going to let her go or not. On one hand I feel guilty thinking about it (she's a single mom) but on the other hand she has left me in a VERY bad spot a few times and it's getting worse lately. I can't function without an assistant and I need someone reliable. The timing could not be worse, I booked the trip and then the very next day there was a problem at work.

We will be waiting for the link to the youtube videos.
Oh, it won't be fit for YouTube.

We flew Sunwing once, and our biggest complaint was the cramped seats. You and Grumpy Cat will be just fine, but if your DH is a big guy like my Steve, he might be rather uncomfortable as the seat width and leg room is definitely minimal.
Not going with Sunwing, they don't offer this resort. Actually, they don't offer much in the way of anything over a 4star. They mainly push the resorts that they have financial interest in. Memories is the biggie. I did look at Sunwing but I really don't like the flight times they offer. You depart YYZ very late in the afternoon and when you come home it's 2am. Even with the discount I get and the possibility of a little special treatment on the plane it just isn't worth it to me to fly with them. I booked with WestJet. I really like the flight times, depart YYZ at 10am and depart Cuba at 2:30pm. We probably lose a half a day but I'm fine with that. I really hate having to check out of my room and then still have 4 or 5 hours until getting picked up to go to the airport. This way we get up in the morning, have breakfast at a normal time and get on the bus to go home.

DH is only 5'7" so he fits on any plane.

OMG, your photobook is amazing! I appreciate that there was a dedicated Krispy Kreme page!! Your titles are creative, H2Oh! lol. Our 2016 calendar is made up for pictures from our 2015 vacations, which is really fun to see each month. I think you might have inspired me to do a photobook for the next trip!

I have had time to catch up on a bunch of Dis threads this weekend. The last two weekends have been spent entertaining our parents: 2 weekends ago it was my parents and then DH parents for the 4th of July weekend. We referred to it as Parentpalooza! I love spending time with family, but I am oh so enjoying this lazy Sunday morning catching up. Hope you are having a great weekend! I am glad you got a half day on Friday!! You can't put a $ price on free time and family time, and it seems like your current job has more of that!

Beautiful job on the photo album! I like to make one after each of our trips, too. They take a lot of time, and yours is outstanding. :)

They do take a lot of time.....as I'm getting started, I always wonder why the heck I do this to myself :rotfl:....but yet they always end up being our favourite souvenirs of all, hands down. I used to do traditional scrapbooks but found those to be even more cumbersome to create, more expensive in the long run, and take up WAY more space on the bookshelf. I have also experimented with Shutterfly in the past, but the picaboo books are always my favourite finished product.

Those albums take so long to make. A lovely reminder though. My dd did ours last time which saved me a job :)

How sweet of your DD! And even nicer that you get to see your vacation memories through HER eyes......because everyone puts a unique, individual spin on a book ::yes::.

I was happy to secure another great deal this time. I was able to purchase a $200 picaboo voucher on Groupon for $56 and then got an additional $4+ back in ebates. My hardcover book was "only" $159.99 (USD.....so add 30+ percent in exchange) which leaves me with an additional $40 to make two small softcover mini books for the grandmothers. I will start working on those later this week.

Right, not much in the planning area. Actually, nothing as far as the trip itself. I do have a little shopping to get done to prepare. I started that yesterday....bought 6 bottles of sunscreen. :cheer2: I will divide the shopping up over the next few weeks. I would be slightly painful to go out and have to spend $100+ on things like Immodium. I always pack a rather large medical kit. I much prefer to have all I might need on hand than have to try and find it onsite. I've been doing that for years though. Many of the things I have at home anyway so it's just a matter of packing it up.

Aside from the packing aspect I've got to get work prepped. Things need to be done ahead or scheduled out so that it happens after I come back. I have to try and leave things so that there is nothing to handle except the everyday stuff. Right now I'm dealing with my assistant who is really slacking and I have to decide if I'm going to let her go or not. On one hand I feel guilty thinking about it (she's a single mom) but on the other hand she has left me in a VERY bad spot a few times and it's getting worse lately. I can't function without an assistant and I need someone reliable. The timing could not be worse, I booked the trip and then the very next day there was a problem at work.

Oh, it won't be fit for YouTube.

I'm another one that's never done an AI. It might be something we need to consider for 2017 or 2018. Especially when we can travel in the offseason, there are some great deals to be had. Steve flatly refuses to go to Mexico but there are plenty of other places where we could explore. Jamaica or Antigua are on my short list.

Not going with Sunwing, they don't offer this resort. Actually, they don't offer much in the way of anything over a 4star. They mainly push the resorts that they have financial interest in. Memories is the biggie. I did look at Sunwing but I really don't like the flight times they offer. You depart YYZ very late in the afternoon and when you come home it's 2am. Even with the discount I get and the possibility of a little special treatment on the plane it just isn't worth it to me to fly with them. I booked with WestJet. I really like the flight times, depart YYZ at 10am and depart Cuba at 2:30pm. We probably lose a half a day but I'm fine with that. I really hate having to check out of my room and then still have 4 or 5 hours until getting picked up to go to the airport. This way we get up in the morning, have breakfast at a normal time and get on the bus to go home.

DH is only 5'7" so he fits on any plane.

Lucky girl. That simplifies things more than you will ever know.

OMG, your photobook is amazing! I appreciate that there was a dedicated Krispy Kreme page!! Your titles are creative, H2Oh! lol. Our 2016 calendar is made up for pictures from our 2015 vacations, which is really fun to see each month. I think you might have inspired me to do a photobook for the next trip!

I have had time to catch up on a bunch of Dis threads this weekend. The last two weekends have been spent entertaining our parents: 2 weekends ago it was my parents and then DH parents for the 4th of July weekend. We referred to it as Parentpalooza! I love spending time with family, but I am oh so enjoying this lazy Sunday morning catching up. Hope you are having a great weekend! I am glad you got a half day on Friday!! You can't put a $ price on free time and family time, and it seems like your current job has more of that!

Thanks ElenaJane! LOL, donuts are big part of our trip so there had to be a page just for our Krispy Kreme indulgences :blush:. I just wish I had snapped a picture of Batman on Super Hero Day.....that would have been a good memory to preserve!

LOL, so glad to hear you survived Parentpalooza :rotfl:. I hear ya on the family visits being taxing: its fun to entertain, but often a relief once its over. It's like a vacation in Orlando in many ways......so much preparation beforehand, and very busy when they're there!

I have been very, very blessed by the little perks of my current job over the last 18 years. We often close early if the bosses decide we all deserve an extended weekend. I sometimes am given small , unexpected cash bonuses if they feel I've went above and beyond the call of duty. They often bring me lunch from my favourite pizza place or a freshc up of Tim Hortons coffee in the middle of the afternoon. I have the freedom to take as much or as little time off as I see fit, no questions asked. While my pride is still a bit sore at being turned down for the other job (which would have paid significantly more), I'd be lying to say that I wouldn't have missed the wonderful benefits of my current office. It's like that Garth Brooks song, Unanswered Prayers.

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

:goodvibes

I'm surprised you guys aren't dressing up as minions!

I'd suggest signing up for e-mails from the fallsview hotels you're interested in (probably Embassy Suites, the Hilton and the Marriott would have the best views). They send out special deals to e-mail subscribers all the time and once you're past the summer craziness, you should start seeing decent fall deals. I know you're a planner but if you're willing to wait until late August/September to book something, I think you'll find a deal. Maybe book a backup hotel (that you can cancel) in case the fallsview deal doesn't work out? As for the parking charges - my husband and I have (free) Players Advantage cards for the Fallsview casino and the cards give you free parking in the casino parking garage. We always park there for our Niagara Falls stays as a way to avoid the insane $20 to $30 parking charges at the hotels and it's never been a problem. The Marriott and Embassy Suites are a short walk from the parking garage and the Hilton is even connected by an indoor walkway.

Gina the photo book looks great!!
Make sure to keep an eye on TravelZoo for deals on a Niagara Falls hotel as summer wraps up. I live in the area and even I'm surprised at how good some of those deals are!

I'm surprised you guys aren't dressing up as minions!

I'd suggest signing up for e-mails from the fallsview hotels you're interested in (probably Embassy Suites, the Hilton and the Marriott would have the best views). They send out special deals to e-mail subscribers all the time and once you're past the summer craziness, you should start seeing decent fall deals. I know you're a planner but if you're willing to wait until late August/September to book something, I think you'll find a deal. Maybe book a backup hotel (that you can cancel) in case the fallsview deal doesn't work out? As for the parking charges - my husband and I have (free) Players Advantage cards for the Fallsview casino and the cards give you free parking in the casino parking garage. We always park there for our Niagara Falls stays as a way to avoid the insane $20 to $30 parking charges at the hotels and it's never been a problem. The Marriott and Embassy Suites are a short walk from the parking garage and the Hilton is even connected by an indoor walkway.

Thanks for the tips :thumbsup2. I had no idea about the Fallsview Casino players cards: that's an awesome deal not having to pay parking at the hotel (and one of the things that has been discouraging me from splurging on a Fallsview room). Any decent price on the room is negated by the horrible cost of parking. The Embassy Suites was actually one of the properties I had been eyeing, and the Hilton has been on my wish list FOREVER (their pool area looks so pretty).

Gina the photo book looks great!!
Make sure to keep an eye on TravelZoo for deals on a Niagara Falls hotel as summer wraps up. I live in the area and even I'm surprised at how good some of those deals are!

Oh yes, Travelzoo! I get their Top 20 emails every week, so in another month or so I will have to keep a keener eye on their offers. While I'd rather wrap up that decision sooner versus later, I'll be happy to employ some patience if that patience would pay off for a Fallsview room.

I am also watching Wagjag: sometimes some good packages end up there, too.

I had fully intended to get a decent entry up today, but alas......it turned into Sunday Fun-day and I ended up playing more than I was on the computer. We are off to watch the Secret Life of Pets tonight: when we first saw the previews when we went to see the Minions Movie (oddly enough, exactly one year ago today) we vowed we would go see it when it came to our local theatre. From what I can see, our showing is in 3D as well: super exciting for this boring girl, who has never seen a movie in 3D before (LOL, I know.....I need to get out more :o ). I am hoping its as cute and amusing as the Minions was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter