Tween girl book recommendations to get more interested in reading

Tons of great ideas, I will try most of them. :)
DD does have a kindle, she was reading quite a bit on it in 1st and 2nd grade. Somehow it dwindled in 3rd and now she rarely reads for fun, unless it's the diary books. I like the suggestion of increasing the font size, because I do feel that seeing so many small words on a page is what she hates most. She already knew that she would be reading more when she saw the "C" in reading on her report card. No complaints from her about it. There was also some mention of "distraction" on her report card and we have parent/teacher conferences tomorrow so i'll see what's up with that.

My daughter read just a couple of the 43 Old Cemetery Road series - it has sketches and various fonts like you said your daughter likes. My daughter also is "picky" about her books ;) and enjoyed these and want to read more.

She is currently reading The Land of Stories. They are another take on the fairy tales, and includes a map at the beginning of the book. I think there are only two currently. Interesting tidbit: they are written by Chris Colfer from Glee. I hope he writes more - she is really into it - she picks up the book whenever she has a chance to read. :)

I bet she'd like the "Amelia's Notebook" series by Marissa Moss. They look like journals with handwriting and doodles in them.

There have been some great suggestions here, I'm going to check some out to suggest to my students!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I bet she'd like the "Amelia's Notebook" series by Marissa Moss. They look like journals with handwriting and doodles in them.

There have been some great suggestions here, I'm going to check some out to suggest to my students!

I was going to suggest this series. The books are great for a 10-year-old (that's 4th/5th grade, right?). It was one of my favorite series when I was her age.

My DD's 3rd grade teacher sucked the "reader" out of my DD. Still irritated about it, and DD is now 19.

So - I was desperate to find some books that she would read - and in the 10'ish range was a great little series of books - the first is "TTYL", the second was "ttfn" and the last one was "l8r, g8r". The author is Lauren Myracle.

The premise on this series is instant messaging, and some of issues caused when one of the girls had . My DD LOVED these books, so much that for a brief time - was actually corresponding with the author. The author even sent her a journal - with my permission (i.e. wanted me to give the address if it was OK.)

A great series of books for someone who needs a little encouragement to read more. DD was in 5th or 6th grade when she read them.

I'll second the Lauren Myracle books. I would also add her "Winnie Years" series: Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, (Thirteen Plus One, delves more into teen issues and may be a little mature for a ten year old.)

Other books you might want to look at:

Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls series by Meg Cabot. Most of Cabot's books are written for teens, but this series is geared towards 9-12 year olds.

Gallagher Girls Series by Ally Carter. Series of books about a teen spy.

Anything by E.D. Baker or Frances O'Rourke Dowell.

My DD13 is now an avid reader and will read pretty much anything you put in front of her, but in 3rd-5th grades she was very much a reluctant reader. These are some of the books/authors that really got her interested in reading. Most of the books are in the 200 page range and are not as daunting as some of the other ones mentioned upthread.

If she likes Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries, try the Popularity Papers. Same kind of thing, like a notebook with doodles, aimed at girls.

Thanks, all! I just ordered Amelia's Notebook (DD's name is Emilia, so she'll enjoy that :) )and the Popularity papers because those look right up her alley. The others look good too, i'll probably try those on the kindle so the font can be adjusted. Might start with the Winnie years.
I was a little discouraged trying to find something for her at the library (small town) so these will work well!

Harry Potter? At least the first two or three (they get kind of long after that).

Maybe Narnia, but there are certain aspects of those stories I think that are becoming less and less relevant (mostly time-period related).

My daughter read just a couple of the 43 Old Cemetery Road series - it has sketches and various fonts like you said your daughter likes. My daughter also is "picky" about her books ;) and enjoyed these and want to read more.

She is currently reading The Land of Stories. They are another take on the fairy tales, and includes a map at the beginning of the book. I think there are only two currently. Interesting tidbit: they are written by Chris Colfer from Glee. I hope he writes more - she is really into it - she picks up the book whenever she has a chance to read. :)

My daughter is the same with Land of Stories, she can't wait to get to bed as she reads for a bit each night before she goes to sleep. She rates them up with her iPod touch and that's saying a lot for a 10 year old!

My daughter is the same way. She use to really love to read but once she hit 4th grade it all went downhill. She does like the "Diary" books and has read them all.

A book you could try that is similar is called "Smile." It was the must have book at her last book fair. It is written in more of a comic book setup so my daughter read it without complaints.

You can also try graphic novels. They tend to be kind of spendy but my daughter will actually read one so they are worth the money IMO.

The Anastasia books by Lois Lowry (starting with "Anastasia Krupnik"). The Alice books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (starting with "The Agony of Alice").

Have you thought audio books. My DD always wanted to read stories that were above her reading level but not her comprehension level.

Has she read the Pendragon series -

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Lawson

The Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler

any of the newberry award winners.

DD is 18 now so I hope I am remembering the correct age but these were some of DDs fav. Of course the Harry Potter Books turned many kids into readers.

I'll second the idea of an e-reader, but don't make it a Kindle Fire or an iPad. Go with a simple, dedicated reader -- not something that she can use to surf the net. E-readers feel cool in the hand, and reluctant readers don't realize whether they're reading a long or a short book. Do include a protective case.

Next, read with her. You can take this two ways: 1) Sit down in the evening where ever you're comfortable -- in the living room together or cuddled up in bed -- and both of you read. By modeling reading behavior, she's more likely to copy you. OR 2) The two of you read the same book so that you can discuss it; both of my girls ABSOLUTELY LOVED discussing literature with me, and I enjoyed it too -- even when we were discussing things that were very simple, I enjoyed seeing their little minds turn. My youngest was a voracious reader as a child, but had some trouble making the jump from children's books to chapter books -- but she responded very well to the two of us taking turns reading a chapter out loud.

Third, give her a gift card to the bookstore so SHE can pick some books on her own.

Finally, limit her access to computer, TV and other distractions . . . but don't be too obvious about it. If you lecture her on the importance of reading, you're likely to meet resistance.

Specific ideas for books:

The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket -- very dry sense of humor; my oldest's 4th grade teacher read the first book to the class, and she was hooked -- they still sit in a place of honor on her nightstand

Running Out of Time -- Jessie thinks she lives in a pioneer village; nope, the reality is that her family lives in a model village, and modern kids come to watch them every day; until a plague hits the village, and the "keepers" are going to let people die, so Jessie has to run away to get help -- this was an uber-fave with my youngest

Harry Potter by JK Rowling -- no other book series has prompted so much discussion in my house -- my two daughters' ultra-forever favorite, though maybe not the series to hand to a reluctant reader right off the bat. Some success with shorter books might be a better starting point.

The Warriors by Erin Hunt -- great for kids who love animals, easier reading than the other books mentioned here -- a KittyPet named Rusty finds life with his Two Legs rather dull and longs for adventure; he meets a wild cat who invites him to join his band of warrior cats in the forest, and he struggles to become a tough warrior himself -- this was the first book series that hooked my youngest

Magic Treehouse series -- these are very easy reading; perhaps too easy for a 10-year old, but my girls and MANY of their friends loved them

Ella Enchanted, Fairest, Two Princesses of Barrymore -- by Gail Carson Levine. All strong female protagonists, good storylines. My girls enjoyed them all briefly, though they never became favorites.

Hunger Games -- though I think ten is a little young for this series.

Artemis Fowl -- my girls never were huge fans, but they did read them.

Holes -- great storyline, good moral about forgiveness. A family curse leads to a boy being sent away to a juvenile detention center. Sounds dismal . . . isn't.

A Wrinkle in Time -- this was an uber-favorite of mine when I was a kid, but my own kids didn't love it.

Little House on the Prairie -- again, I loved this series; I used to play Little House all the time, but I couldn't get my own girls interested.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DeCamillo -- Great story; the author has written a number of other wonderful stories as well -- did she write The Tale of Despereux? Oh, my youngest adored that book!

The American Girls' advice books, but NOT the American Girls doll stories -- my girls loved the books on etiquette, friendship advice, middle school . . . but they found the stories about the historical doll-girls dull and contrived. I agreed.

Harriet the Spy
My Sister the Horse
Number the Stars
The Midwife's Apprentice
The Ruby Ring
The Borrowers series
The Giver
The Narnia series
The Children Who Stayed Alone
The Boxcar Children
Maximum Ride series
Fever
Eragon, though that might be a little advanced for a reluctant 10-year old

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Witch of Blackbird Pond and the Five Little Peppers series were my favorites between the ages of 10-12. I really got into the characters of the heroines of those books. Also Little Women and the Little House on the Prairies series are good for that age.

I'll second the idea of an e-reader, but don't make it a Kindle Fire or an iPad. Go with a simple, dedicated reader -- not something that she can use to surf the net. E-readers feel cool in the hand, and reluctant readers don't realize whether they're reading a long or a short book. Do include a protective case.

Next, read with her. You can take this two ways: 1) Sit down in the evening where ever you're comfortable -- in the living room together or cuddled up in bed -- and both of you read. By modeling reading behavior, she's more likely to copy you. OR 2) The two of you read the same book so that you can discuss it; both of my girls ABSOLUTELY LOVED discussing literature with me, and I enjoyed it too -- even when we were discussing things that were very simple, I enjoyed seeing their little minds turn. My youngest was a voracious reader as a child, but had some trouble making the jump from children's books to chapter books -- but she responded very well to the two of us taking turns reading a chapter out loud.

Third, give her a gift card to the bookstore so SHE can pick some books on her own.

Finally, limit her access to computer, TV and other distractions . . . but don't be too obvious about it. If you lecture her on the importance of reading, you're likely to meet resistance.

Specific ideas for books:

The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket -- very dry sense of humor; my oldest's 4th grade teacher read the first book to the class, and she was hooked -- they still sit in a place of honor on her nightstand

Running Out of Time -- Jessie thinks she lives in a pioneer village; nope, the reality is that her family lives in a model village, and modern kids come to watch them every day; until a plague hits the village, and the "keepers" are going to let people die, so Jessie has to run away to get help -- this was an uber-fave with my youngest

Harry Potter by JK Rowling -- no other book series has prompted so much discussion in my house -- my two daughters' ultra-forever favorite, though maybe not the series to hand to a reluctant reader right off the bat. Some success with shorter books might be a better starting point.

The Warriors by Erin Hunt -- great for kids who love animals, easier reading than the other books mentioned here -- a KittyPet named Rusty finds life with his Two Legs rather dull and longs for adventure; he meets a wild cat who invites him to join his band of warrior cats in the forest, and he struggles to become a tough warrior himself -- this was the first book series that hooked my youngest

Magic Treehouse series -- these are very easy reading; perhaps too easy for a 10-year old, but my girls and MANY of their friends loved them

Ella Enchanted, Fairest, Two Princesses of Barrymore -- by Gail Carson Levine. All strong female protagonists, good storylines. My girls enjoyed them all briefly, though they never became favorites.

Hunger Games -- though I think ten is a little young for this series.

Artemis Fowl -- my girls never were huge fans, but they did read them.

Holes -- great storyline, good moral about forgiveness. A family curse leads to a boy being sent away to a juvenile detention center. Sounds dismal . . . isn't.

A Wrinkle in Time -- this was an uber-favorite of mine when I was a kid, but my own kids didn't love it.

Little House on the Prairie -- again, I loved this series; I used to play Little House all the time, but I couldn't get my own girls interested.

Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DeCamillo -- Great story; the author has written a number of other wonderful stories as well -- did she write The Tale of Despereux? Oh, my youngest adored that book!

The American Girls' advice books, but NOT the American Girls doll stories -- my girls loved the books on etiquette, friendship advice, middle school . . . but they found the stories about the historical doll-girls dull and contrived. I agreed.

Harriet the Spy
My Sister the Horse
Number the Stars
The Midwife's Apprentice
The Ruby Ring
The Borrowers series
The Giver
The Narnia series
The Children Who Stayed Alone
The Boxcar Children
Maximum Ride series
Fever
Eragon, though that might be a little advanced for a reluctant 10-year old

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this! Dd does have a kindle, which I posted before. She used it for a few years but doesn't have much interest in it anymore. I'm going to see if I can get her back into it.

We went to a library book sale a few months ago and she bought 7 or 8 books that looked interesting. She started reading one, but never finished and never had interest in picking up the rest. They just had a book fair at school and she bought the newest Dork Diary book, which she read in 3 days. So that was nice! She has to read 20 mins each night for homework so she usually does that in bed and I read my own book next to her.

At the parent teacher conference, I found out her reading grade was so low because of the essays. She really hates writing. Her teacher said that they were all having some trouble with essays and they were working on it. I think it's genetic, DH and I are math/science people. Also hated English/writing. I love reading, but don't particularly want to discuss it or write about it. ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this! Dd does have a kindle, which I posted before. She used it for a few years but doesn't have much interest in it anymore. I'm going to see if I can get her back into it.

We went to a library book sale a few months ago and she bought 7 or 8 books that looked interesting. She started reading one, but never finished and never had interest in picking up the rest. They just had a book fair at school and she bought the newest Dork Diary book, which she read in 3 days. So that was nice! She has to read 20 mins each night for homework so she usually does that in bed and I read my own book next to her.

At the parent teacher conference, I found out her reading grade was so low because of the essays. She really hates writing. Her teacher said that they were all having some trouble with essays and they were working on it. I think it's genetic, DH and I are math/science people. Also hated English/writing. I love reading, but don't particularly want to discuss it or write about it. ;)

That's a whole different ballgame. If writing is the real issue, I'd say she needs to work on two basic skills: 1) making educated statements about the book and backing those statements up with evidence from the book. 2) organizing her thoughts before she begins writing. I'd say discuss the things she reads, and then push her to jot down the main points before she starts writing. Reluctant writers do resist these things, not seeing that they lead to better quality writing and a train of thought that the reader can follow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter