TV reception at the Fort

romarbeardies

Earning My Ears
Now this is going to sound like a strange question but my husband is very interested in the US election and wants to watch the results.
The problem is we will be camping (tent) at the Fort election night
My question is : If we take a small TV what type of reception will we get with just rabit ears?
If we don't take a TV any suggestions as to where we can go and watch the results?
And just to make sure that you don't think we are totally crazy, we will not start watching until after the park closes.

most sites in fw depending on when you go if not all will have cable being you mentioned election i guess you will be there then we used our tv with out cable and still got several channels but i believe our camper has a amplifier so not sure how much that helps guess to answer your ? will depend on if you have cable or not if you have it then no problem if not probably still no problem but less channels :happytv:

As far as I know we only requested a site with water and electricity seeing as we are tenting, are you saying that all sites have the possibility of cable?
I thought cable was only available at preferred sites.

As far as I know we only requested a site with water and electricity seeing as we are tenting, are you saying that all sites have the possibility of cable?

Cable was supposed to be at all sites by early December, but they are behind schedule. You should be able to get one of the big three networks with just rabbit ears.

If you are just in a water/electrical site for tent camping, from my understanding the cable upgrade has not yet been installed. We head out in the next week or so and we are bringing our TV with rabbit ears. From previous posts, you can pick up some of the local network channels without too much of a problem.

Ft Wilderness is in the midst of a major renovation and restructuring of the amenity packages. It used to be that only preferred sites had cable & internet accessibility. When finished, all sites will have cable & internet accessibility. Mind you, internet will still be a surcharge, but all sites will have accessibility. A new class of Premium site is being added, standard sites are all becoming Preferred, and Partial sites are getting cable. But as the previous poster said, you are coming in the midst of the changeover, so the possibility is there that you'll get an old partial, non-cable site. If the price is the same, I'd make sure to ask for a new partial, with cable. I've found the off-air signal to be dodgy.

We receive a few channels using the antenna on our RV, I imagine you'll get a couple using rabit ears.

Suggestion: get one of those DTV converter boxes so you can receive the digital broadcast, if you get one of the coupons from the government, it will only cost $10 at Wal-mart/Target. The picture from the digital channels is so much clearer than analog.

We receive a few channels using the antenna on our RV, I imagine you'll get a couple using rabit ears.

Suggestion: get one of those DTV converter boxes so you can receive the digital broadcast, if you get one of the coupons from the government, it will only cost $10 at Wal-mart/Target. The picture from the digital channels is so much clearer than analog.

Don't know what this is but I also doubt we could get the coupon considering we are from Canada. :confused3
DH though we would probably get some sort of reception so your information is great.
I called Disney and their only suggestion was a premium site. AT that cost for the whole trip :eek: vs only wanting TV reception for 1 evening renting a room would be cheaper :rolleyes1 and that is always an option. You would think if there just happens to be cable on the site they could activate it for one evening, but it seems that Disney dosen't do much out of the goodness of their hearts anymore. I person suggested that I might find a hotel that had a quiet TV area??

Thanks for all the help guys, you are all great

Don't know what this is but I also doubt we could get the coupon considering we are from Canada. :confused3
DH though we would probably get some sort of reception so your information is great.
I called Disney and their only suggestion was a premium site. AT that cost for the whole trip :eek: vs only wanting TV reception for 1 evening renting a room would be cheaper :rolleyes1 and that is always an option. You would think if there just happens to be cable on the site they could activate it for one evening, but it seems that Disney dosen't do much out of the goodness of their hearts anymore. I person suggested that I might find a hotel that had a quiet TV area??

As of Jan. 1 ( I think ) all television will be broadcast in digital. If you have a TV that is not digital you will need a converter or your old TV will not work. This will not happen until after your trip so not a real concern( yes, even with rabbit ears ). Due to this changeover, a lot of stations are already broadcasting in digital and analog. With a digital signal you either have a great picture or none at all, there is no in between. I don't know how Canada broadcast so, you could already have a digital television. As for the cable, you don't have the option. You either have cable or not. Meaning that if cable is there, it is on whether or not you use it. It is included, not an add on.I don't think you will have any problem picking up enough channels to see what your after.

When we were there last we had a small black and white tv with rabbit ears. We got several channels. I'm sure the radio will have plenty of coverage also.

Does anyone know how far behind schedule they are? Are there any loops that have been done already?

As of September 21st, here is the last visual status of the cable installation from a group member Tri-Circle D

"went back by this morning...

1500 & 2000 loop show no signs of having cable added
1600 no signs of having cable added
1700 pipe in the ground and coax in the pipe
1800 pipe in the ground, no coax visable
1900 no signs of having cable added

At the entrance to the 1700 loop there is a CATV junction box with multiple large coax cables (described in previous posts) sticking out of the ground. On them were tags stating "out to 1600 loop, out to 1700 loop" etc..."

Folks report being able to receive the following off air stations:

2 - Local NBC Affiliate
6 - Local CBS Affiliate
9 - Local ABC Affiliate
15 - Daytona Beach
18 - WB 18
24 - PBS
27 - WRDQ
35 - Local FOX Affiliate

I was thinking even the ESPN sports bar might have it on :confused: I'm not sure how likely that would be having never been to a sports bar.

You could also tell your husband to stop worrying about the Americans and worry about our election instead :lmao: (Probably not a good idea)

Hope it works out :wizard:

I was thinking even the ESPN sports bar might have it on :confused: I'm not sure how likely that would be having never been to a sports bar.

You could also tell your husband to stop worrying about the Americans and worry about our election instead :lmao: (Probably not a good idea)

Hope it works out :wizard:

We thought about the sports bar but like you not sure what to expect.
Canadian elections will be done and over with by the time we leave. :scared1:
DH works the elections in advanced polls and is a deputy returning officer so he is more involved than most in our political scene.

But with the information already received it looks like we will be bringing a small TV and counting on local reception, just have to decide on a back up plan

The ESPN sports bar is all the way over at the Boardwalk resort. I wouldn't go there to hope to see election results.

Crockett's Tavern, right there at the Fort has a TV, and the pool bar at the Wilderness Lodge does, too. There is also a bar inside Wilderness Lodge with a TV. Of course, you could always head over to the Contemporary, and watch one of their bar TV's. I don't think that there would be any big sporting event going on on election night, so no one would probably mind if your DH wants to watch that channel.

Also, if you are really set on seeing the election results, I'll bet someone right on your loop will be watching TV outside (lots of RV's have entertainment centers in the basement storage units these days). Your DH can make a friend. Someone who is spending his evening at the Fort watching election results probably could use the company ;).

TCD

Someone who is spending his evening at the Fort watching election results probably could use the company ;).

TCD

Now that's low ;) but kind of sad isn't it :sad2:
Hey but he isn't going to watch until after the park closes and we get back to the campsite. He does have his priorities :thumbsup2

All joking aside guys thanks for all the info, you help put the magic in the Kingdom :wizard:

You will be able to get Channel 2 very well with Rabbit ears. It is our local Orlando main station, and they will be having major election coverage. You also will be able to get others, but Channel 2 WESH, is our main news and information source here in Central Florida. You will get good coverage of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter