• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

tv in master bedroom yeah or nay?

:thumbsup2

We refuse to have a tv in our living room. That is where we gather to do family things without the idiot tube distracting us. There is one in the family room for family movies.

We have a TV in both the family room and living room. But DW and I both grew up in households where the Living room was maybe used 2 days a year, and we vowed to make our living room livable, so to speak.

Just bought a new 39" TV for our bedroom. The old one just gave out. I watch the news as I get ready in the am; it's great if someone is feeling ill-they can lie down in the bed and rest quietly; watch a little tv before bed. I can't imagine NOT having a tv in our bedroom. It gets used often but is always off before we go to sleep.

We have one in the master and have had for many, many years. I love to watch my DVD's in there.

I don't see the issue. You can always turn it off if it bothers you.

Yes, we have and yes I like it. Honestly, I can't imagine not having one my bedroom, as I've had since I was about 12. We used to have one of the big tv's in our bedroom, but when we moved, we had to put a smaller one in our bedroom. I couldn't careless, but my DH likes watching stuff on the big tv, so we never really watch movies in the bedroom anymore, which I really miss.

Bedroom is for sleeping, not tv-watching. By sticking electronics in there, you subconsciously start to see it as a place for activity and not resting, leading to bad resting. I read it in a book or on the internets or something, but really!

I disagree. Maybe for you in leads to "bad resting" but for some of us, with insomnia, or just need to wind down a little, it is a wonderful thing. I hate reading, so for me I would say the bed room is not for reading but for sleeping, but that would be silly. What people do in their bedrooms is different for everyone. I personally LOVE winding down in my bedroom while watching tv.

I disagree. Maybe for you in leads to "bad resting" but for some of us, with insomnia, or just need to wind down a little, it is a wonderful thing. I hate reading, so for me I would say the bed room is not for reading but for sleeping, but that would be silly. What people do in their bedrooms is different for everyone. I personally LOVE winding down in my bedroom while watching tv.

Well, ultimately whatever works for you is cool, but the number one thing the sleep clinics tell those with insomnia is to make the bedroom a place where nothing else goes on.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-related-problems/insomnia-and-sleep

Regardless of what's causing your sleep problems, it is important to establish and maintain healthy sleep habits. Here are some tips that will help you sleep well:

At night:
"Use the bed and bedroom for sleep and sex only
"Establish a regular bedtime routine and a regular sleep-wake schedule
"Do not eat or drink too much close to bedtime
"Create a sleep-promoting environment that is dark, cool and comfortable
"Avoid disturbing noises  consider a bedside fan or white-noise machine to block out disturbing sounds

no we don't have tv in our room.
bedroom is for us, no interruptions whether sleeping or whatever....

dh would love tv in bedroom, but not happening.
he loves it when we're on vacation and we have tv in our room.
in fact he thought it was fab, that he could watch from the tub in okw, like a dream come true! :rotfl:

Yes - we have one in our bedroom. We have one in our room and one in the living room.

OP here thank you all for the input. I like the idea of having it if I'm sick but don't like the idea of dh watching it when I'm trying to sleep. Hmmmm....

Terri

The only tv I have hooked up right now in my house is in the living room.....but I sleep on my couch. I usually fall asleep with the tv on. I have a tv in the bedroom and I got a cheap streaming box for it so if I ever feel like sleeping in the bedroom again I can use that. I live alone so I can sleep where I want and no one complains.

I never had a tv in my room growing up. I got one in either late high school or college when my dad won a new one and gave me the old one that was in his den.

If you dont have a tv in every bedroom, I consider that living in poverty

yeah...
Some nights in the winter we like to go to bed...cover up and watch the tube...nice and comfy in bed..
We also have one in the kitchen area so I can watch the news during the supper making time..instead of running downstairs to the family room tv...and then our granddaughter who visits often has another one in her room...

Yep. Because DH has to get up very early in the morning and is a sports addict. He falls asleep several times a year to baseball games.

Yes! This is the TV we watch the most.

I put my kids to bed and then settle in with some papers to grade and watch TV in my bedroom.

In the morning on the week-ends, my kids come running in and jump on our bed--and watch cartoons.

On cold week-ends we rent a movie and all snuggle up in the king-size bed and watch away.

If there's important news that I want to make sure I see (and maybe don't want the kids to watch detailed coverage off-- like the Sandy Hook shooting)---my bedroom is the place to watch it!

Also...we like to watch John Stewart and Leno or Letterman as we get ready to go to sleep.

No way!

We both (ok, mostly me ;)) cannot fall asleep unless the bedroom is dark and quiet. And we usually read or talk to each other before going to sleep. I know we would do both of these things less if we had a TV in the room. Neither one of us is interested in getting one for the bedroom.

That being said, we don't have kids - I could see maybe getting one then so we could watch our "shows" in peace after kids go to sleep. And it is nice at a hotel to be cuddled up in bed and watch a movie or something.

But I think (for us) it's healthier not to have one. We go to sleep earlier, read more, and spend more time talking to each other than we would if we had a TV in the bedroom.

We have a TV in our bedroom but we never use it. In fact a few months ago my husband wasn't feeling well and decided to watch a movie in bed and we found the screen was cracked and must have been since we moved about 8 months before that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter