Tusker or Y&Y or ...

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
...convince me it's worth the pain of dragging 3 kids to a bus to go to AKL then back to AK and then to whatever monorail resort we end up booking to go to Boma. As you can tell, we are not really resort diners. :p

We're at least two months out from ADRs but it's fun to think about. Two years ago, I loved, loved, loved our Tusker House dinner. Would not have even considered giving our AK TS to Y&Y. But this May I was completely disappointed with our Tusker lunch. I didn't like the one Indian offering (I swear they had more 2 years ago - mini samosas don't count) and I felt like there was just a lot more variety in 2015. Anyone else feel that way? Was it maybe a lunch versus dinner issue?

But now I'm toying with the idea of Y&Y. I loved having variety but would rather have something I know will be good if the variety really isn't going to be there.

Or, is Boma really worth a trip over to AKL? Is it significantly better than TH? Someday I would really like to stay at AKL but right now, staying at a monorail resort is make or break for DH.

I have dined at all three. We really like Yak and Yeti but if it's a buffet you are specifically wanting, then to me, Boma is far superior to Tusker. We liked Tusker for the characters but felt the food was kind of ordinary. Much prefer Boma food.

Resort to resort an Uber or a Lyft is inexpensive and worth it!

We were disappointed with our TH breakfast and while Y&Y wasn't bad it wasn't as good as the food we get regularly in our hometown. We really enjoyed Sanaa and I hear good things about Boma.

I absolutely love boma. The food is amazing and the resort itself very beautiful and worth a visit. However, I do have to say that it is a hassle and does eat up time that you could be spending visiting the park. I have hopped over to AKL from Ak park with two young children in tow for dinner twice on previous trips, but now my husband and I just don't find it worth it to leave the park with the kids. Often the kids were just too tired to enjoy their meals. If you were only adults I would say do it but with kids I don't know. I am kinda on the fence on the whole issue but my husband would vote to just eat in the park.

However if you do go to Boma's plan to spend time either before or after the meal to check out the grounds of the resort. It is just breath taking. Often we would have dinner there and then taxi back to our resort to not have to go back to the park to then catch another bus home.

I also want to mention that yak and yeti is not my first choice restaurant. My last meal there was ok but nothing compared to Bomas. It's kinda like an Americanized version of Asian food. Tusker house, on the other hand is a favourite of ours. I've only been for breakfast but never been for lunch or dinner so can't comment.

With that being said, if you want to go to AKL for a meal, I would go to Sanaa around lunch time, when the parks are heavy with people and the Sun is at its hottest. The kids won't be tired, you get to see AKL and eat great food at a very nice restaurant. You can even see animals from the restaurants windows. Then after you done you can take a Bus back to the park and enjoy the evening there.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm leaning towards Boma. Since AK is open later now and hopefully by next spring DS will have given up his naps so we could just do some quieter time at AKL at lunch.

Another vote for a taxi or Uber.
I always budget and save for a few resort to resort taxis. It is not that expensive and it is such a convenience.
Good Luck

No, it's not worth it for us. We did the same thing with Sanaa twice. Takes WAY too long to leave the park in time to make sure you don't miss your ressie time, wait for a bus, ride the bus, eat, wait for bus, ride bus, and then huff it back to the park and get back into what you were doing. We loved Sanaa and the beauty of AKL, but the 3-4 hours taken out of our Disney day wasn't worth it. There were other ADR's (Y&Y or Tusker) that were much easier and very good too.

Dan

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter