• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tusker House or Yak & Yeti or BOMA?

rmjkharrisfam

Mouseketeer
Help! I need a restaurant in the Animal Kingdom area for dinner on our day there. I have a ressie for BOMA currently but am a little worried about 1) getting there and 2) my kids liking the food.

I have 3 kids (9, 7, 3) that are slightly picky eaters and a DH who is a bit more adventurous.

Thoughts?

Boma has a very good children's pod with a lot of standard fare choices while the rest of the pods have some adventurous dishes.

Out of the 3 you are debating, Boma is my favorite for dinner.

Boma has something for everyone. My family of 6 all found plenty of food that they liked. I agree, boma would be our pick too.

we've done both Boma and Tusker house and both have some similarities in that you can get really odd things at both but you can also get fairly normal things especially kids items.

But, we found Boma to have more items which the kids deemed "normal looking" yet different - like chicken or beef that was recognizable but just had a different flavor/spices that were new to try. So it was still chicken. Do you know what I mean? Or the favorite, the coconut curry soup which didn't look odd to the kids at all - looked just like a chicken stew/soup, but which tasted out of this world. I actually found Tusker house (as an adult) to have more strange foods. Boma has a great desert area too.

My son was 8 at Tusker house and mostly ate from the kids area. He was 10 last year for Boma and spent most of the vacation not touching kids food at all. He's more adventurous than the teenage DD but both were pleasantly full at both restaurants. Both have requested Boma be added to our rotation again. And to confuse you more, both want to try Yak and Yeti this time. haaha.

So I'm sensing a theme here.....how far is it from AK to AKL? Do you take the bus?

You would take the AKL bus and get off at the second stop, Jambo. The first stop is Kidani. It's about a 5 minute bus ride from the park to the resort.

Without knowing where you are going after dinner, I can't recommend a transportation route.

I agree I would choose Boma! We love it there! You would take the bus from AK to AKL. The bus is a 5 minute bus ride. I don't know where you are staying but after your meal you can take the bus to any park that is still open (most likely MK since they tend to be open the latest) and then take a bus from there to your hotel. :)

Agree with Boma as best. But if you are tired, and just want to get back to resort after eating, it can be a real hassle to get "home" afterwards, and will take much longer than you want, unless you are willing to pay for a cab.
But the Boma, and the beautiful Lodge, is really the best, and wonderful if you are not too tired.

They are all top favorites of ours! You can't go wrong with any of them.

Both Tusker House and Boma have kid friendly options at the buffet. If you want to add a character meal for photo opps, do Tusker House for lunch. It could be a good mid-day break for you.

Getting to Boma is easy. Just take the bus to AKL. Getting from Boma to your resort would take a long time with a bus transfer, or you can take a taxi. AKL is a nice place to visit.

Yak and Yeti has good food and would be more relaxing than getting up and down for buffet food if you're looking for a relaxing meal.

Yak and Yeti is my DD7s fav rest... but for the record it is not anything like Boma. She gets fried rice (same as a chineese rest) and I get chicken Lo mein.. again like a chineese rest. she mixes them together. Boma is more Africa, and more not streamlined food.

Both are good. Both are close enough, 10 min bus ride, then take which ever park bus is close to your resort home. (IE SSR take DTD, or BLT take MK ect), and AK closes early anyway, so you could make a 6 PM ressie at Boma, and the park would be nearly closed anyway.

Thanks everyone! We have a 5:50 ADR at BOMA - we'll spend the afternoon at AK and then take the bus to AKL. We're staying at ASMu Family suite so after dinner we'll take the bus to one of the parks - probably which ever bus comes first :) to get home.

Thanks! I'm excited to try it out!

Thanks everyone! We have a 5:50 ADR at BOMA - we'll spend the afternoon at AK and then take the bus to AKL. We're staying at ASMu Family suite so after dinner we'll take the bus to one of the parks - probably which ever bus comes first :) to get home.

Thanks! I'm excited to try it out!

The MK bus is the longest ride, and don't get on the DTD bus. Take the Epcot or Studios bus for your transfer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter