Turtle Farm Grand Cayman

mi2boyz

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of doing the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman on our own. How does the transportation work through them? Do you have to pre buy tickets to get their transportation?

I have read that the turtle farm tickets include transportation.

We did the island tour thru Captain Marvin, which included the turtle farm (about 45 minutes, which was perfect). The cost was $30; exactly what the turtle farm was charging. It was the best part of the tour!

On our last trip we went to the Turtle Farm. We had a great time! Ahead of time we inquired about their complementary transportation but they never responded to our emails. We ended up arranging transportation once we got to the port. Someone with the Port Authority helped us get a taxi that was actually like a van. It was something else! They loaded as many cruisers as they possibly could in the van and once full they started dropping us off at our various stops. I think they charged us twenty dollars for the four of us.
After we were done at the farm we wondered how we would get to our next destination - the area they call Hell (limestone formations). We were told to stand by the side of the road and a taxi (van) would stop for us. It turns out if you stand by the road and a van drives up honking, you simply waive at them and they stop. (We just happened upon this... I thought they were just being really friendly, honking and waving to us, but waving back causes them to stop to pick you up!):wave2:
Once we toured Hell and sent a postcard from the post office, we stood by the road and minutes later another van/taxi picked us up. This was a total departure from what we typically do, but we made it back safely on our own and even met some celebrities on the way!:thumbsup2

The turtles at the farm are cute. Since the farm is all about preservation of the species I thought it was ironic that the cafe there served turtle soup.

We also went to hell and back in the Caymans. Interesting rock formations, but not something we need to do twice. Sent "wishing you were here" post cards that took about two weeks to get delivered stateside. So when we tell people the postal service is slower than hell, that means the mail took longer than two weeks.

We booked the turtle farm on our own, which was much cheaper than through the ship's port adventures. Upon arrival we were directed to meet Turtle Farm personnel in teal polo shirts at the port. We were herded into our included transportation. We made the ride over to the farm and were checked in and given wrist bands for access for the park. We were told what time to be back to meet our bus for a ride back to the pier. We had a bout four hours at the park. This gave us time to shop and wander around before getting back on the ship.

We just got back from there last week. We did the turtle farm on our own. I bought the tickets online and saved 20% I think. We took the city "bus", which is really just a van. It was 2.50 per person. The taxis are $8 per person. You have to walk outside of the little area that you come to when you get off the ship to catch the city bus though. It's really only a block away. Just ask someone for directions to the bus. It's near a bank and a clock tower, I believe. We told the bus driver when to come back and get us and he did. The turtle farm was great! I've posted pics on my blog:
http://aimeesland.blogspot.com/2012/10/grand-cayman.html

Our cruise also has a trip report thread and since we are back now, we are all starting to post on it.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2978578

I booked on our own through the website @ $36/person for whole park access. We rode to and from the Turtle Farm on the DCL Excursion bus. Two other families did the same as us. We just had to find the rep at the port - she was not wearing a teal shirt so there was some confusion but everything worked out great! Tip: email the Turtle Farm and let them know you need transportation so that they will have an accurate number for their bus count and they will give you the pick-up and departure times.

Thank you for the great info! I was a little on the fence about booking this for us and our 4 youngest There have been mixed reviews about it, but you guys sold me! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter