Turning 30 with the Mouse - 05/12/09 update

OMG how sweet of you to help that family :) You sound like you had so much fun and now I can't wait to go!!

I am going to Disneyland in just over a week. Too bad it's just for one day:sad2:

I just started reading, Dolce, and so far I am loving it!!! Can't wait to read the rest!

Dolce, your TR is so good, I sat here and read the whole thing! Love, love, love it. You have a way with your writing that makes the reader feel they are right there with you. The pictures are wonderful, too. I have enjoyed every minute.

You have such a kind heart. Helping the wheelchair bound man protect his feet, being a personal tour guide to a clueless family... you are awesome! I'll bet those people will always remember the pretty girl who helped them out at Disney on Christmas Eve. :goodvibes

I assume there will be more, yes? This was a 10 day trip, right? I can't wait for the rest. princess:

I am LOVING your TR!!! It's so nice to read and I love the pictures so much. I'd love to go to WDW at Christmas but w/ my DW working for the school system it's really hard to.

Well, Christmas is a crazy time - but it is beautifully decorated.
I'll try to check out your pre-TR soon. Regardless of the time of year; I'm certain that you and your DW will have a blast.

Again, your pics are stunning. I wish I could see them full-size! What a wonderful thing you did for that man and his mom, as well as the girls from Georgia.:) I'm sure they will always remember you for that.:thumbsup2

I'm trying to remember to size the photos a little bigger this time around - just for you Teresa!

OMG how sweet of you to help that family :) You sound like you had so much fun and now I can't wait to go!!

I am going to Disneyland in just over a week. Too bad it's just for one day:sad2:

Have a blast! Is this your first trip to DL? Mine was last year.

I am really loving this report, Dolce. Great job.

Thank you :goodvibes

Dolce, your TR is so good, I sat here and read the whole thing! Love, love, love it. You have a way with your writing that makes the reader feel they are right there with you. The pictures are wonderful, too. I have enjoyed every minute.

You have such a kind heart. Helping the wheelchair bound man protect his feet, being a personal tour guide to a clueless family... you are awesome! I'll bet those people will always remember the pretty girl who helped them out at Disney on Christmas Eve. :goodvibes

I assume there will be more, yes? This was a 10 day trip, right? I can't wait for the rest. princess:

Yup - 10 day trip. Pictures keep slowing me up. It takes so long to download them and then resize them. I'm hoping to post Day 3 tomorrow.

*Please ignore any misspelled words that you may have found in this post tonight; I'm too tired to think strait right now*

Subscribing now...sorry I'm late! You;re incredibly witty... really enjoying this read.

I'm going to brave it with the characters this year. I love meeting them, but am a tad shy and have never attempted the interaction thing, but LOVE hearing of others that do it.

I very seldom read the trip reports because I have never found many that keeps my interest but yours is GREAT!! I look everyday to see if you have posted more. The pictures are awesome. Hope to read more soon!:)

I am loving this TR! You are so funny and I am totally going to be in Disney for my 30th next year....you have to turn 30 somewhere, might as well be Disney! And that is so nice of you to help that family from GA. I'm constantly trying to help people at Disney when I hear them talking and I think they all probably just want me to mind my own business! It's nice that you could actually do a good Disney deed!:thumbsup2

Subscribing now...sorry I'm late! You;re incredibly witty... really enjoying this read.

I'm going to brave it with the characters this year. I love meeting them, but am a tad shy and have never attempted the interaction thing, but LOVE hearing of others that do it.

Thanks! I'm normally shy but I decided to have a bit of fun with the characters this time... but I still felt like a dork. But the characters were usually great if I tried to interact with them.

I very seldom read the trip reports because I have never found many that keeps my interest but yours is GREAT!! I look everyday to see if you have posted more. The pictures are awesome. Hope to read more soon!:)

Welcome! Thank you! :goodvibes I appreciate the compliment.

I am loving this TR! You are so funny and I am totally going to be in Disney for my 30th next year....you have to turn 30 somewhere, might as well be Disney! And that is so nice of you to help that family from GA. I'm constantly trying to help people at Disney when I hear them talking and I think they all probably just want me to mind my own business! It's nice that you could actually do a good Disney deed!:thumbsup2

I say GO! That was a great place to celebrate a birthday – esp the 30th.

Back when I was a CM and was at a park on my day off I'd still try to help people if they looked like they needed it. Everyone always looked at me if I was insane for it - even after I explained that I worked for Disney. I guess that there are those of us that love that place and want to help in anyway we can and those that just don’t get us. :teeth:

I was hesitant at first to offer help to the family from GA – no one ever really wanted my help before and we were total strangers – didn’t even exchange names until in line for Pirates – the last ride we went on at closing!

But they were really great people – it was obvious just by finding out that they had spent the entire day doing nothing yet had the biggest grins on their face. They were just so happy to be there. How many people in our society are like that? Most people would be screaming and yelling about how horrible Disney is – how they’re never coming back – how Disney owes them something since the spent so much money and only rode two rides. Not these people; I think that I left an impression on them by showing them around but at the same time they left a huge impression on me by their awesome attitude. I won’t ever forget them.

You were awesome for helping out with the person with a disability. As a teacher of children with disabilities and an aunt of children with disabilties, I just wanted to give you a big thank you.

Thank you.

Christmas Day has arrived. :cool1:

OK.. to be honest, it takes a few moments upon waking to realize it was Christmas.

I'd forgotten.

I wake-up at 6:29 am. I’m panicking – why isn’t the alarm going off? Oh, because it’s set for 6:30 am. That’s why. I was beginning to feel like the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland: I’m late! I’m late!

I swear, I'm OCD about time. I have to be a park opening.

It suddenly dawned on me that it was Christmas Day (see? I told you it took a few moments) and I had two gifts from my sister to open. Flinging the covers back, I hop out of bed and rush over to my "Christmas Corner" to grab the two neatly wrapped gifts.

The unwrapping wasn't quite as neat.

The first one was a t-shirt; blue with Mickey Mouse on the front that says something like Mickey is My Loverboy. (I’m not currently looking at the shirt – but that’s what I recall the it saying.

.... interesting gift.....

I might wear it to sleep in...)

I’m wondering if Disney made any money off of that shirt. My sister is anti-Disney. Seriously. We’re already in a fight about if I’ll ever be allowed to take any future nieces and/or nephews of mine to Disney.

At one point she called to say that she was going to go for my birthday... but she didn't want to stay on property... and she didn't want to go to the parks.. and she didn't want to give Disney a penny of her money.

The trip planning including her didn't last for very long before she was back out of the picture.

I wasn't allowed to purchase a gift for her while at Disney - back to the whole 'she doesn't want Disney to have a penny of her money.. or money spent on her behalf'. My brother in-law also hates Disney … so he says. While I don’t think he’s ever been a Disney fanatic I’m betting most of those negative Disney thoughts didn’t develop until he met my sister and found that it makes his life much easier if he agrees that Disney is an evil empire trying to take over the world.

But, despite that my sister hates all things Disney with an undying passion, she bought a Mickey Mouse shirt for me. But that wasn't the only gift!

The second gift was a beautiful mug that my sister purchased for me while in Japan (the actual country as she won’t step a foot near EPCOT - just incase you didn't get that whole "she hates Disney" thing the first time.) last summer.

I quickly dressed and raced down to the Boardwalk Bakery to grab orange juice, a cheese Danish ….. and a Mickey cake.

CIMG2669-1.jpg

What?

Hey! I’m an adult, I’m on vacation and it’s Christmas Day. I’m allowed to eat cake for breakfast! Besides, this little cake has been discussed on here before – they usually don’t make it to the evening – apparently a popular item – so I had to purchase it now if I wanted to try it. ::yes:: And of course it would have been a hassle to carry it around EPCOT all day long so I had to eat it now ::yes::

It was really very good. The icing looked like it should be hard but it wasn’t. What it was, was rather messy. It rubbed off on my hands and my face and anything else it touched. I scrubbed with a napkin and prayed that I didn’t walk around with a chocolate covered face for the rest of the day. The cake was very light – I honestly didn’t feel like I was eating anything at all.

I enjoyed it all, especially the messy cake, as I sat out on the boardwalk. Such a peaceful morning...

CIMG2667-1.jpg

CIMG2666-1.jpg

Finished, I walk over to the international gateway at EPCOT and arrive an hour before opening. I find a bench and plop down to wait. And wait some more. And some more. Finally a few families begin to arrive and find benches of their own to sit on for the wait.

It’s getting closer to time.

I walk up to a Security CM to ask if they’re going to let us inside for any type of rope drop. Question answered with an "I don't know", I turn around and find all of those families, that had been sitting back and waiting, to have formed a long line at the turnstiles. I guess my walking up signaled some sort of unspoken cue that I didn’t realize I was sending.

I muttered to a woman that had magically appeared beside me, “I didn’t know that I was starting lines.”

She just looked sheepishly away. Well, now we have lines to stand in instead of benches to sit on for the remainder of the wait. Finally the CM’s at the turnstiles get a phone call giving the go ahead to do a rope drop and they begin letting us thru and lead us on up to the top of the pathway at the base of the bridge leading into the UK pavilion.

CIMG2717-1.jpg

CIMG2716-1.jpg

Yup, that's how far into the WS you make it for a rope drop if you're entering from the IG. ...yeah, I didn't think it was very far in either.

Here’s a tip: If you want to rush to Soarin’ or Test Track and beat all of the other 10 million people heading in that direction – entering from the international gateway is not the way to do it. Everyone coming in from the main gate has a serious head start on you. By the time the Land Pavilion was within my sight – I could see the masses already moving in that direction from the front gate.

I quickened my stride and continued on.

I had a game plan for this day: Grab a Soarin’ FP, ride Mission Space, do Test Track Singles, Nemo, Soarin’ with FP and then stick to the world showcase for the rest of the day as I knew it was going to be a busy one. I would attempt to squeeze in Spaceship Earth at some point.

Reality: I rush down – remember, being solo you can weave in and out of crowds easily without them noticing you – to get a Soarin’ FP. The return time is showing a time of 1 hr later as I enter the huge queues to the machines. I find a machine and quickly nab a spot in line for it. Before I could make it to the front of the line, a CM walks over to several of us and asks how many is in each party. She begins handing out FP’s to some of us, not all as the guy in line behind me said his was a party of six and she didn’t give him anything.

CIMG2722-1.jpg

Clutching my free FP with a posted return time of ... pretty much right then… I fight my way out of the crowds and leave the pavilion. I’m tempted to go ahead and use my FP but I decide to stick to plan. Over to Mission Space – orange side, of course :thumbsup2 – I go. It had a posted time of 30 minutes. I don’t think that I waited in that line for that long at all. The line moved pretty fast.

I absolutely love this attraction – it’s my favorite thrill ride at Disney. I was Engineer – I’m always Engineer. I was Navigator once last trip in 2006, but I’m always Engineer. I think NASA should hire me for that position now - I have it memorized.

Due to having a free fast pass in my pocket, I’m able to use my ticket and grab a FP for Mission Space to use later. I do deviate from plan a bit here as I decide to go ahead and use my Soarin’ FP now ... so I make a mad dash back over to The Land, passing Character Connection as I do. I have a pixie sized photo pass burning on my arm but the line looked to be as long as Soarin’ so No Thank You.

On to Soarin’ I go, off to California I fly. I’m on the 3rd row. Honestly, I don’t mind it – which is a good thing as that is the row I usually find myself on. Last year at California Adventure at Disneyland I did get front row center for the ride. Didn't even have to request it. But, much like being the Engineer at Mission Space, I'm always in the third row for Soarin'. I didn’t pay any attention to dangling feet and enjoyed the ride. Gotta love the Orange Grove part!

Nemo and Friends is next.

CIMG2737-1.jpg

Now, have I’ve mentioned that I’m a fast walker? Especially when I’m by myself and I don’t have to keep up with anyone, I can move. I did have to –obviously- bypass a couple of families as we were winding down the outside queue to this attraction. They were walking sooooooo slllloooowwwwllllyyy. I just couldn’t walk that s l o w.

I simply don’t know how to. :confused3

I waited for areas to widen up and then I’d quickly bypass them. Really, I'm not trying to be rude. I simply can't walk that slowly.

Finally I was in the lead and they were all following me. I know where I’m going – right? despite that this was my first time on this attraction. I'm in the lead. I'm walking fast. I know where I'm going....

So, I’m leading… leading… and we all come to an abrupt halt as I lead us all to a dead end.

I turn around to face all of the people piled up behind me, staring intently at me with a 'What now? look upon their face and noticed the entrance to the building up a few feet from where we stood. On the opposite side then which I turned. I’d bypassed that and attempted to go to my left. I should have turned right. I just looked at the group that still stared expectantly at me.

“Ummm…. Over there.” I point to my left “Please don’t follow me – I have no clue as to where I’m going.”

A few of them grin at me and we all take off towards the building’s entrance. One of the families made it in before me but they stepped back and let me pass them by. They learn fast - huh? :teeth: I guess that there was genuine fear that I’d run them over. I quickly walked – or “swam” as the CM kept telling us to do – and quickly climbed into my clam shell. I took a few pictures – minus a flash.

CIMG2730-1.jpg

CIMG2725-1.jpg

With the design of the clam shell it didn’t look like the LCD screen of my camera would bother anyone. A few clams in front of me and a few clams behind me were taking flash photos so my guilt over my lit LCD screen – that really no one could probably see except for me since there are sides on the clams- subsided a bit.

I skipped Turtle Talk. It’s very cute but I’ve seen it and unless I’m bringing children – preferably my own – I probably won’t see it again.

Aww.... Future World

CIMG2739-1.jpg

CIMG2741-1.jpg

*sigh*

Love it!

Next up is Test Track.

CIMG2743-1.jpg

CIMG2745-1.jpg

CIMG2746-1.jpg

Is it just me or is this the ugliest building in all of Disney?

Test Track is not one of my favorites. I don’t recall if I rode it on my 2003 trip and I know that I didn't on my 2006 trip. My last ride may have been during my College Program back in 1999.

I walk up to (in my opinion) the ugly building. The singles line had a posted time of 30 minutes … but it was more like 15. All of my memories of this attraction is the stopping and waiting about ten different times before it finally ended – it seemed that something was always going wrong with it and they’d have to stop and start and stop and start. This was my very first ride where I’ve made it all the way through with out one single stop. :eek: It's a lot better when you don’t break down in the heat room. ::yes::

My hair was a tangled mess by the time I exited. Do they sell brushes here?

I saw my car.

CIMG2747-1.jpg

How long has this car been on display now?

Better question: Are they ever going to market that car?

My fast pass time for Mission Space was up but I decide to hold off for later and trek back to the World Showcase.

Bye-bye Future World

CIMG2750-1.jpg

CIMG2754-1.jpg

Hello World Showcase

CIMG2751-1.jpg

CIMG2761-1.jpg

CIMG2759-1.jpg

My plan is to catch the UK players performance at 11:30. I looked around the UK pavilion

CIMG2764.jpg

CIMG2784.jpg

Disney is amazing with detail. Here are some pic's of the real cottage in England

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

…. Oohhh.. digestives… Cadbury digestives? I’ve never had Cadbury ones before but I do love Cadbury chocolates... and I love digestives... Tucking that info aside for later, I walk over to France.

CIMG2773.jpg

CIMG2781.jpg

CIMG2782.jpg

CIMG2768.jpg

CIMG2835.jpg

I’d made dining reservations to Bistro de Paris for my aunt and uncle on New Years Day. I took a photo and intended to e-mail it to my aunt to taunt her with it…

… I’m so mean….

But her e-mail address wasn’t stored in my phone.

Darn.

I’d have to taunt later.

Stupid karma.

I headed back over to the UK and plopped down on a curb to catch the showcase player’s hilarious rendition of A Christmas Carol

CIMG2790.jpg

… an extremely abridged version of A Christmas Carol. The guy they pulled from the audience to play Scrooge was great! He really got into it and even cracked the actors up a bit.

I circled around and over to Norway for some lunch. I wanted School Bread. I was still drooling over it from my 2006 trip. I’d also loved the soup I’d had in 2006. Unfortunately they weren’t serving the soup that I wanted and the school bread

CIMG2791.jpg

just wasn’t as good as I recalled. I don’t know if it was because of the recipe change that they made – which I didn’t feel was that big of a change, or because my inaccurate memory had built it up to be more than it was.

Probably my expectations were just too high.

I still ate it all. I’m not not going to eat School Bread. That sucker was gone in 2.7 seconds.

….alright, it took a bit longer than that to eat the monstrous thing. On my way to Norway, passing thru Mexico, I saw several early 20-something guys walking around with margaritas.

I wanted a margarita.

I stopped over at the stand and got a strawberry margarita for ... $10.00. :eek:!

Yeah. And I’m not a big drinker so I only had about half of it and threw the rest away.

*sigh*

I’ve never really explored the Mexican pavilion before..
CIMG2792.jpg

so I went inside. Beautiful interior. Doubtful that I'll ever eat here.

CIMG2796.jpg

I hopped on the ride

CIMG2795.jpg

(gotta love pictures... couldn't remember the name of that for anything!)

for my first time. It was actually better than I expected it to be; I really enjoyed it. Of course, thanks to Mickey's Philihar Magic, Donald is growing on me. And trust me, it's better than It's a Small World.

I looked around at Norway… no interest in riding Maelstrom. Every time I’m in that pavilion I have this sudden urge to buy a troll… and then I leave the pavilion and no more urges to buy trolls. It’s the weirdest thing.

Troll!
CIMG2807.jpg

Are they supposed to be that happy looking? :confused3

Germany was next

CIMG2808.jpg

CIMG2810.jpg

CIMG2811.jpg

Ohhh I'm loving your pics of Epcot!! I can't WAIT to try Test Track and Soarin' The last time I was there, World Of Motion was there and stopped like every five minutes :)

I’m sorry, you guys. I’ll have to finish this day tomorrow – I hope! I’ve realized that a few pictures that I want didn’t load into photobucket. All of my delays have been due to the pictures. I only have a little time to work on this each day and it takes a while to upload and then resize the pictures.

No worries :) I'm sooo enjoying your TR!!! We've changed our trip for the last time---going June 14-23 and staying at Pop :)

Italy was the next pavilion I came upon. In my opinion, this has to be the most beautiful pavilion:

CIMG2815.jpg

CIMG2816.jpg

CIMG2818.jpg

CIMG2819.jpg

CIMG2822.jpg

CIMG2824.jpg

CIMG2825.jpg

The Christmas storyteller for Italy was due soon so I found a comfortable seat to watch the show.

CIMG2831.jpg

I must admit, I really enjoyed it. She was fun to watch and it was interesting to learn something of their country’s traditions. She was the only storyteller that I stopped for, but it turned into one of my favorite things that day.

By this point I realized that I need something more in my stomach than School Bread … and cake….

Unfortunately it’s prime eating time and lines for food are massive everywhere I turn. Honestly, I really don’t know what I want to eat …. that is until I spy the funnel stand at the American Pavilion. Yeah, exactly what I need – sugar and carbs on top of more sugar and carbs that I’ve already had. Where’s the protein in my diet? :confused3 Apparently it was also on vacation.

So, a carb and sugar filled funnel cake it is! and the line is the shortest one around. Woo-Hoo! I’m finally next in that *ahem* short *ahem* line when I noticed the little sign posted on the window. They currently weren’t accepting room charges or Disney dining plan.

Darn!

I’d been charging everything to my room (I wasn’t on the dining plan). I reach into my pocket and pull out a five dollar bill….and that was it. The rest of my pockets were empty. The funnel cake cost $6.00.

Double darn!

With a sigh and a frown I leave the line and both me and my hungry stomach move on. Honestly, I’d been looking forward to that funnel cake – the whole 5 minutes that I recalled they even existed. The last one I remember eating was in 1999 and now I had a craving for another one.

And I wasn’t getting it.

Feeling sorry for my poor, hungry stomach; I find myself back in France. Impression De’ France was on my list of things to do so that was where I headed to. Was it always so packed or is it just because it’s today? It was crammed. I had a bit of a wait outside of the theater and it got to a point to where I couldn’t breath. I finally worked my way through the crowd and over to an area that was a bit less crowded.

Finally. I could feel some of the air blowing from air condition vent above me and I could breath once again. I worried that I’d pass out if I stayed back in the mob any longer.

After waiting for for what seemed to be a year, they opened the doors and we all packed inside. And I do mean packed:

CIMG2838.jpg

(Is it normal for the theater to be this full? I was under the impression that this is an unpopular and overlooked show)

The music was beautiful but the movie almost put me to sleep. Note to self: Great location for an afternoon nap.

As I exited the theater I noticed that everything around me was wet … including that drenched looking guy racing by me. ‘Uh, sir? You’re already soaked, you don’t have to run now.’

Apparently I missed the one and only rain shower for the day. Ha! Perfect timing on my part.

Now back to the food thing. I finally stop at the fish shop in the UK pavilion.

(Still want that funnel cake! :mad:)

The best fish and chips I’ve ever had were at some little restaurant in Dover, England. The worst had to be at my school dormitory in London, England – fish and chips every Friday for lunch. But even those weren’t all that bad. It was fish and chips Friday! Can’t complain.

EPCOT’s fish shop shows to be serving Harry Ramsden’s fish. I’ve seen people complain that these are horrid fish and chips (and as others point out, why do you always find Brit’s in line for them at EPCOT if they’re so horrid? In fact, the people in front of me were British… and the guy was rather cute...didn’t see a girl with him… but I digress…)

A couple of years ago they opened another Harry Ramsden’s fish shop in London. It was located at the football (soccer for us Yanks) stadium in Fulham. (Although a quick look at the website and I don’t think that location exists any longer.) So, last time I ate at a real Harry Ramsden’s in the UK was 2006.

I guess that my entire point of this is that EPCOT’s fish tasted the same as I recalled the one’s I had at the restaurant in London. Harry Ramsden’s has always been a popular fish shop in the UK so the Brit’s – the founder’s of fish and chips – don’t think that they are so horrid. And it’s pretty darn hard to mess-up French fries.

So, I give my very American stamp of approval for EPCOT’s fish and chips.

I still want my funnel cake.

:mad:

*sigh*

Alright. Finished with my fish and chips tirade. Moving on.

I found a quiet spot over by where the Beatles cover band plays (they weren’t playing at that time) to sit and eat. While in the UK pavilion I attempted to (unsuccessfully) find Alice. It wasn’t going to happen. I have no luck. I asked the guy at a register (actually, he was working at the merchandise cart earlier that morning and had chatted with me then. He recognized me and we chatted a bit while he made the call to find out if Alice was to make an appearance that day – no such luck. I have no luck.)

At this point I almost go home. The Boardwalk is only a short walk away. I look longingly towards the international gateway. I begin to walk towards the international gateway.

Yay! I love getting on here in the morning and there's new updates! Good job!
You are making me seriously want to go on a solo trip...you can do what you want and not worry if anyone else is having a good time! LOVE IT!
But, I doubt that will ever happen...my mom is WAY too into Disney to allow that!
Excited for the rest of Christmas!

I’m walking towards the International Gateway thinking “bed..bed.. bed” when the gift shop at the exit distracts me. A detour through there and suddenly I don’t want to go home – I want to shop!

(I said almost want to go home. I didn’t say that I wanted to go back. Who says that I was thinking something about a bed??? It’s in the middle of the day, I don’t truly want to go back… just having momentarily crazy thoughts.)

Back to France. Nothing of interest.

Onward to Morrocco.

CIMG2851.jpg

CIMG2844.jpg

CIMG2846.jpg

CIMG2849.jpg

CIMG2848.jpg

The incense gets to me each time… I can never stick around the Moroccan shops for long. Empty handed I move on.

It’s the afternoon of Christmas Day.

I’m walking from the Moroccan Pavilion to the Japanese Pavilion

One of the busiest days of the year for Disney

CIMG2854.jpg

And I’m soooooooooo not feeling overwhelmed by the crowds.

I looked around the Japanese pavilion

CIMG2857.jpg

CIMG2855.jpg

CIMG2856.jpg

CIMG2859.jpg

and was conned … I mean, talked into… buying some saki. $6.00 later I drink half of my glass of saki before tossing the rest. How in the world can people afford to drink around the world? Seriously. I’ve spent almost $20.00 on a margarita and a glass of saki. It’s expensive!

I planned to do pick a pearl for my birthday on the 30th and I quickly find the location so that I can look at the settings. I wanted to get an idea of what I want beforehand. The area is packed with people but most seem to be observers rather than participants. The crowds force me away so I move on.

A quick peek at the American Pavilion and I spy

CIMG2833.jpg

CIMG2834.jpg

Nope, didn’t stop for the American Adventure. I have never seen it. Maybe one day….

Shopping done, still empty handed, I head back towards Future World a little after 3:00. It’s time to once again fly to Mars. I passed an ice cream cart on my way to Mission Space and there’s a sudden halt and a quick detour. I’ve always wanted to try a frozen banana….so I stop and purchase one. I began walking towards MS, unwrapping my banana as I do ….and splat!

My frozen banana is no longer in my hands by lying on the ground at my feet.

*sigh*

Those things are expensive! I pick it up and throw it away. The guy at the ice cream cart looks at me in confusion as I stand before him once again.

“It fell on the ground; can I buy another one?”

He was kind enough to give it to me for free. This time I cautiously opened the wrapper and ate the frozen banana before it, too, had a rendezvous with the ground. And you know what? I find them highly overrated. Sorry to all of you frozen banana lovers out there – it just wasn’t all that good.

But Mission Space, now that was good. I walked straight on with my fast pass. Can anyone guess what position I had?

Can you? Can you?

After safely putting us into hyper-sleep (and … uh… something else that with as many times that I’ve been Engineer I should remember…) we landed on Mars.

My question is: How did I get back to Earth so fast? I’m in the shuttle. I’ve landed on Mars. I exit the shuttle and I’m on Earth??

Weird.

I decide to walk over and take a peek at the Spaceship Earth line. It looked long but was only posted at 20 minutes. The CM assured me that it moved fast, so to the line I joined. I believe that I waited 18 minutes for it. I DISed via my iphone while in line. There were 10 million “How crowded are the parks?” threads in the theme park section that day. It was hilarious reading the trip planning boards. How many people at the parks actually wanted to take the time to check the DIS that day?

…OK! Besides me?

Honestly? The park today? Not bad. It was busy, yes, but not – at least in my opinion – crazy busy. You saw the picture. I was expecting much, much worse.

DISing over. Line finished. I now enjoyed a trip through communications.

I thought the new changes to Spaceship Earth were nice … but then again, except for the narrator and the missing scene with the tv screen where kids are communicating with China (am I remembering that correctly?) via television, I honestly don’t know what’s new and what isn’t. I’ve never been that familiar with the attraction.

By the time I’m off, I’m feeling a bit sick. Waaaay too many carbs and sugar all morning. Not good. I’m developing a massive headache from it all. Fortunately it’s close to my dinner ADR at the Garden Grill in the Land pavilion. Walking over, just coming out of the Innovations breezeway, I pass a character meet and greet line with Chip and Dale.

*sigh* I’m so tempted to jump in line despite the fact that it stretches all the way to Soarin’. (OK… it wasn’t really that long. But almost.)

I check in for Garden Grill and am told that it will be a 15 – 20 minute wait time. What? My head hurts. I need food now.

*sigh*

Unbeknownst to me it’s Soarin’ (the DIS poster, not the ride) and her family’s fault that I had to wait. Her ADR wasn’t until after 5:00… mine was at 4:45. Guess which one of us was seated at 4:45??

I’ll give you a hint: Not the person with the 4:45 ADR.

Humph!

I stood in the waiting area casting dirty looks at Soarin for stealing my ADR time.

Actually, not really. I didn’t know that her family (successfully) tried to sneak in early. Honestly I wish that I’d know that was her and her family so I could have met a fellow DISer while there.

Instead of chatting with Soarin (the poster, not the ride), I found a patch of carpet located between an occupied bench (Soarin – was this by any chance your family on the bench?) and (I think? But didn’t look) a press penny machine. I had brought my monstrous book – Breaking Dawn. It’s 768 pages long (probably about how long this TR is going to be if I don’t learn how to shut-up). I opened my book and attempted to read as I sat on the floor, against a wall between a bench and a penny press machine (I think), ignoring all around me.

My head hurt.

My name was finally called. I have no idea how long I waited - if it was 15 – 20 minutes or if it was less. I was seated on the upper floor – second tier – and noticed that we weren’t moving. At all. No rotation for us tonight. I would love to say that I enjoyed my meal… but I just didn’t.

I liked the salad and the beef. I’m really not a big beef eater but I enjoyed the beef the best at Liberty Tree Tavern and now here at the Garden Grill. I didn’t even like the rolls and I’m a huuuuge bread lover. (Gotta have those carbs!)The characters began to make their rounds.

Like the Liberty Tree Tavern, my server was never around when the characters were there in order to take the pictures. I swear that was deliberate; they don’t want to be stuck holding a camera all of the time. Unlike the Liberty Tree Tavern, there wasn’t an over eager lady sitting at the next table to take my picture. I attempted to take a few self-photos with some of the characters… and that didn’t turn out so well.

Hey, but I got Pluto!

CIMG2867.jpg

Chip sat down with me upon finding out that I was alone. I asked him if he wanted to join me for dinner. He shook his head yes. I asked him if he wanted me to pass the bread. He shook his head yes. He was sweet and spent some time with me before moving on.

I asked Pluto a question that was troubling me: Why is it that he and Goofy are both dogs yet Goofy gets his own house and clothing and Pluto only gets a doghouse over at Mickey’s? It just wasn’t fair if you asked me. Pluto let his frustration at the situation be known to me and he seemed happy that I understood the injustice of it. I asked him if he wished for me to address this with Mickey and he vigorously shook his head yes.

Dessert came and I was stuffed. I really didn’t eat much at dinner but throughout the day I’d eaten a bit. I took a couple of bites and must admit that the apple bread pudding tasted pretty good. Still to full to eat more than a bite, however.

This dinner at the Garden Grill was another first for me and looking around; it seemed to be a mess with how narrow the aisles were. Not only were servers passing thru with trays of food and people constantly being seated or leaving their seats after their meal, but you had the characters going to each table where they had to find room to stop and interact with the people seated there. I wasn’t completely impressed with the set-up … but maybe it was just the headache putting a negative perspective on everything at this point. Perhaps if I didn’t have a massive migraine forming I would have found the food to have tasted better and the set-up of the restaurant wouldn’t have bothered me.

*sigh* Not trying to turn this report into a gripe-fest on anything. I feel so negative right now.

On my way back to the World Showcase I stopped off at Innovations and watched the last performance of “What’s Your Problem” for the day. Cute but once is enough. I buy a blanket at a merchandise cart (finally bought something after how many hours??) and walk towards the direction of Italy.

Dusk is falling as I approach the showcase and the scenery is beautiful everywhere I look. Lights have sprung up casting a glow on the surroundings.

CIMG2873.jpg

CIMG2874.jpg

My head still hurt. A lot. But I tried to take in as much of the beauty as I could as I walked around the lagoon. I managed to enjoy what I could as I walked. I was on a mission. After all, it’s 6:30 pm and what do I do?

Why camp out for Illuminations, of course. (Hence, lugging the book around with me that that day and purchasing a blanket at a merchandise cart).

As a former castmember at the Walt Disney World Resort, I must make a confession:

This will be my second (yes, you read that right) second time to ever see Illuminations. The first time had been on the 2006 trip. I never made it over to EPCOT in the evenings while on the CP in ’99 – besides, most evenings I was working anyway. I didn’t stay at EPCOT late enough on my one and only EPCOT day during my 2003 trip. It wasn’t until 2006 that I discovered what I was missing. For some reason I’d chosen to watch it from the Italy Isola in ’06 and I enjoyed the view.

CIMG2876.jpg

The view

CIMG2887.jpg

(This is off to the side – doesn’t block the view of the show)

Everything happened right between the gondolas and poles so my view was never blocked from anything important.

I decided that was where I wanted to watch the show from again. I knew that I’d have to camp out early (and there were already people holding spots when I arrived at 6:30 for the 9:30 pm performance). I managed to sit in the exact same location as I did in ’06. My recently purchased blanked provided a cushion. So, of my planning:

I planned to camp out early.
I planned on having a blanket to sit on.
I planned to read my book until show time.

I didn’t plan on this growing headache that would not go away.

I was miserable. Simply miserable.

But I’m stubborn. I was not leaving. I’m watching the show I tell ya.

I know that the people sitting around me thought I was crazy (and maybe I am). I spent my time back and forth between reading in dim light to bowing my head, closing my eyes and massaging my scalp in agony.

Eventually, I became a bit cold even though it wasn’t a cold night. I guess the breeze off of the water combined with not feeling well gave me chills. I wrapped myself up in my blanket and continued on with the rotation of reading a bit, rubbing my head a bit, reading a bit…

I’m certain that I was pathetic looking to everyone but I was beyond caring. I wanted the show to start and then end so that I could go home. The pre-show music began. I love the pre-show music and listen to it all the time online but instead of feeling the excitement of listening to it at EPCOT, before Illuminations, I was just thankful it began as it was an indicator that it was that much closer to the start of the show. I began wishing the music to finish so that the show could start.

Finally… the show began. A small, seated, crowed had gathered around me. When the show began and they all stood. Hmmm… crazy. Great view from the ground and that’s where I remained throughout the show. Everyone else stood. I sat.

I’m stubborn like that.

The smoke from the fireworks became pretty bad at one point and I couldn’t see the globe for a couple of minutes. It looked like the wind was carrying it all in the direction of France. Fortunately, the smoke soon cleared and I had excellent viewing once again. The show ended with an amazing Holiday finale that filled the sky in various colors such as green and red.

Then everything was silent.

I finally stood, wrapped up my newly purchase blanket, packed up my book and began walking home… snapping a few photos as I went.

CIMG2890.jpg

EPCOT had EMH that night but I was barley able to make it for Illuminations. The only thing left on my agenda for the evening was bed.

Man, I want a funnel cake….

I'm so enjoying this report! I turn 29 on Saturday and I'm hoping to celebrate 30 1/2 next year in WDW. I'm excited about turning 30. I'm a strong believer in you are only as old as you feel.

Thank you so much for making some of your pics bigger just for me!:thumbsup2 . I love how you have them interspersed with your story. I love frozen bananas!!! But, will only get them at Animal Kingdom. It's tradition. I can't have them in any other park.:)

One of my other favorite Disney food items is the fish and chips in the UK, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them.:cheer2:

Now, one other thing, and this is the mom coming out in me, "what were you thinking not eating anything but carbs :cake: all day missy???" Didn't you realize you would come crashing down and then feel like crap:crazy2: for the rest of the day? On Christmas day no less. Dolce, Dolce, Dolce, you silly girl. Just kidding, but here's a hug for not feeling well and not being able to enjoy Illuminations.:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter