• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Turkey prices this year

Kroger has turkeys this week 8 to 10lb for $8, 10+lb to 19.99lb for $10 and 20lb to 24lb for $12. I went to Kroger twice today and got two 19.5lb turkeys for $20!!!

We have one store in MA advertising them for $0.49 a pound

Yes, but you had to spend $25 after all coupons 1st in order to get that price. Otherwise it was $.99 a pound. I was shopping & spending that anyway so I got 1. Hoping someone has a good deal closer because I like to put a couple in the freezer - 1 for Christmas & 1 for around February/March for a nice home style weekend meal.

I got mine on sale for 99 cents per pound. I thought that was good at the time, not so sure now. :rotfl2: But, I still don't think I could have found it for any cheaper around here.

Our local farm has Turkey Hens for 1.95 /lb and Toms for 1.75/lb
Um....I don't know what I've had in the past a girl turkey or boy turkey, never gave it much thought.
In anycase.... I need a 25lb turkey this year so I think I'll buy one at the local grocer for much less $.

Our local farm has Turkey Hens for 1.95 /lb and Toms for 1.75/lb
Um....I don't know what I've had in the past a girl turkey or boy turkey, never gave it much thought.

So, what is the difference? Other than the obvious, I mean. :blush: Is the hen better than the tom? I've wondered but never pursued an answer. Anyone know?

Pay for a turkey? It must be regional! All our local mid-Atlantic grocery stores (SuperFresh, Acme, ShopRite, Pathmark) have been running various promos during the last month to qualify for a "free" turkey (or ham or $xx off meat department purchase).

At SuperFresh and Pathmark, if you "purchase" $40 of a certain manufacturer's products, you earn a free turkey. The stores go by shelf prices, so by combining sales with coupons I earned one Proctor & Gamble turkey, 2 Kraft turkeys, 1 Campbell's turkey and one from somebody else!

At Acme and ShopRite, I have to "spend" $300 over 6 week period to qualify for a free turkey. I've been enjoying rolling catalina deals at Acme---got us a free turkey in two weeks and am working on earning one for my parents. I'll be at ShopRite's turkey amount early next week. I have NOT spent $300 for each store because I've been using an obscene amount of coupons!

For those who don't shop the sales, Pathmark is advertising $.59/lb on storebrand turkeys.

I will be donating at least one of the turkeys to a collection for the local food bank. I host Thanksgiving for 16. And I have a really big freezer in the basement :)

Maybe I'm trying to plan too far in advance, but I was just looking at the grocery store ads for the upcoming week - Nov 13-19 - and I only see a few advertised prices for your basic frozen turkey -- the lowest being .69/lb. It seems like in recent years, all the stores have really really cheap prices for turkeys, like .39 or .49 per pound.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of shortage this year, or if there's some reason to expect much higher prices for turkeys. I know that grocery/meat prices have really gone up overall, but is there any reason why we won't see huge promos on turkeys this year?

My DH is the manager of the meat department of our family grocery store. It is an independant of Hannaford, so the pricing and products are the same. Frozen turkeys are .49 cents a lb right now, and have been for a week and will be till Thanksgiving. I bought four the other day. DH has been going through them like wildfire. He has already sold more turkeys this year than he usually does, and there are still 2 weeks. And he has not mentioned any shortage or issues with supply...and trust me, I would hear about them!

Got a turkey Sunday for 49 cents/lb after I spent $100 in addition. This was with Farm Fresh. Thank goodness my coupons brought the total to $70 ;) We won't even be around for Thanksgiving as we are heading to NY to visit DH's family (I LOVE Italian Thanksgiving!!!) so we are having "our" dinner this weekend.

I checked at our Super Walmart and nothing was less than 88 cents a pound. They had Butterball, Sams and Honeysuckle White. We went with that one and paid 1.08 a pound....but we eat a small one so we're good with that price. The real expense was our ham, we LOVE the Smithfield ones with Paula Dean glaze....and they are EXPENSIVE....2.96 a pound!!!!!

I haven't noticed any increase. My husband just bought an 18lb turkey at Harris Teeter and said he paid $0.29/lb. This is about what we usually pay each year - Harris Teeter usually has a deal a couple weeks before Thanksgiving if you spend $40 in the order.

Amanda

Albertson's has a deal, but not advertised that I've seen, Honeysuckle White for 34c/lb if you spend $20
I got a 17 lb bird for $5.77!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter