• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Turkey Day Gang 2009

Oh boy....Andrew is saying he's got to go back to the land of the Mouse asap! Looks like we'll have to start planning something...maybe Memorial week? Anyone else there then?

We typically visit the mouse Memorial Day Weekend. However, we may have to skip this year b/c we need to be in Baltimore the following weekend.

Lisa

Thomas - welcome aboard! And, please don't say "just" an inside cabin.... cause we have one as well. Only way we could afford to go - especially, Thanksiving week.

Lisa - we live outside Baltimore. You'll be here at a good time of year.

Hope everyone is having a great 2008! Our group of friends/family going on the Turkey Day cruise is growing each day. We now have six cabins booked (9 adults and 9 kids). We are waiting for one other family of 3 to possibly join us. :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

well we had 63 people linked for dinner this past year...who knows how high the count could be in 2009? we did APL second seating which is the first of the 3 times...ie 8pm.

Chuck:cool1:

And I'll add that Chuck did an incredible job of getting us all linked together so that we were sitting near one another! It was absolutely fabulous and the "late" seating at 8 p.m. worked great with all the shore excursions (and gave Steve and Andrew an "excuse" for a 5 p.m. ice cream cone!)

Karen

I have no idea what # I am at - but add one more - HEHE...

Was home sick today and decided to spend the day reading the dis boards - loved it - great way to get better!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I'd think it would be better to be on the DISboards than to watch the news in NH right now! I'm sure you all must be sick of all the candidates trapsing around the state (and the throngs of media that follow them everywhere).

Hope you are feeling better.

Karen

Oh gosh if I pick up my phone one more time to a get a "can we have your VOTE today" message I will just flip - I actually started yelling at a recording!! Yesterday while sick there were 37 calls to this house - now normally with a teen (very hot teen) daughter that would be normal - but she has her cell now so that rings around the clock. SO yesterday it could be my staff - yes yes that is it - they need me - so dedicated staff....BS!!! "hello is lisa d.......(pronounce my name right and you have a shot) we are from so and so's campaign and we wnat to know if we can count on you tomorrow" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" click
now of course I voted - but DANNGGGGGG enoughhhhhhhhhhh...

And today while working out I ran for the phone thinking it could be DD calling to tell me to pick her up at school - " 'ello is Mrs. D ( again PRONOUNCE the name - it is an EASYYYYYY ONE! ) there .....? " "nope but if you find her let her know that her husband & I changed the lock on the front door and threw all her stuff outside - that he wants a divorce and I am pregnant" That poor english chap was speechless and hung up.... I never did find out if it was a politician or someone that really did need to talk to me......

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well, today we canceled our WDW trip that we had scheduled for January 19-26. :sad1: Sad day, indeed. I just had a gut feeling that it wouldn't be right to pull Rachel out of school for that long. (We'd done it every year through 4th grade, and there was never a problem.) She's in 7th grade now, and even though the teachers agreed to provide assignments ahead of time, I thought it'd be too hard to catch up with everything. (There's sooooooo much homework anymore. And I wouldn't know the first thing about helping her with math.:scared1:) Fortunately, Rachel's okay with not going. (I think she's actually relieved. She already missed a week in November when she had the flu, and the make-up work was overwhelming.)

Which brings me to my next questions. Has anyone gone to WDW in mid-August, and if so, is it crowded? I know that we won't be able to just 'walk right on' to the rides as we've done in November and January. And, I can even handle crowds, but I am worried about the heat.:scared: I think I even posted this question on an another board. I'm trying to convince Rob, but he's not as eager as me.:rolleyes: Are the lines long at night? I figured if people are at the shows (Fantasmic, Illuminations and the Main street parade) that we might, just MIGHT be able to ride then?:confused3

Any tips would be great!
Priscilla

Priscilla --I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. Taking kids out of school is such a hard decision. That's why we went to WDW last Thanksgiving and are taking our cruise then as well - my children are not the best students so they can't miss a week of school.

As for August - it is very hot, very humid. Have fun figuring out when you can go.

As for August - it is very hot, very humid. Have fun figuring out when you can go.

LOL! One of the reasons I look forward to our summer vacations is to escape the Texas heat and humidity.

I'm going to have to rethink this one. Rob's attitude waiting in lines, and mine with the heat/humidity..what a wonderful vacation memory!:rotfl2:

Priscilla

Disney in August...hmmm...bring a butter knife to cut thru the humidity...as to the crowds, it depends on whether your schools start later than Florida's schools....if Florida still out, it will be crowded.

In addition to the heat in the summer, expect it to rain at some point every day. We live in Florida and try to avoid WDW in the summer. Sorry!!!

Lisa

Which brings me to my next questions. Has anyone gone to WDW in mid-August, and if so, is it crowded? I know that we won't be able to just 'walk right on' to the rides as we've done in November and January. And, I can even handle crowds, but I am worried about the heat.:scared: I think I even posted this question on an another board. I'm trying to convince Rob, but he's not as eager as me.:rolleyes: Are the lines long at night? I figured if people are at the shows (Fantasmic, Illuminations and the Main street parade) that we might, just MIGHT be able to ride then?:confused3

Any tips would be great!Priscilla

We went August 9th-16th several years ago. The crowds were manageable because Florida schools had already started. I think they start later now. It was incredibly hot and humid but we took a mid-day break and went back to the resort to swim/relax then hit the parks again in the early evening. The lines were a little longer than what we experienced in Oct/Nov/Jan (when we usually go) but it wasn't as bad as June or July.

The schools do start a week or so later now...but, disney in august is still better than no disney if that is what is available for you...just bring your ponchos for the inevitable 30 minute daily shower, or two.

Howdy Yall!

Priscilla, I saw your question about WDW in August. I have been a couple of times then, and it is pretty dang humid. You will have to have a mid day pool dip. And like Chuck said. You will get a shower or two each afternoon, usually, to pump up the humidity even higher. Their weather is almost the same as ours here on the Texas coast.
BUT, it is STILL the greatest place on the planet for a vacation! You just gotta be prepared. I.E., wear very little clothes!:laughing: I know that Rob will hate that! You guys would be fine because Rachel is old enough to not have "tired attacks" like the little ones have. I would not reccommend WDW in August for anyone with young 'ens in strollers!

Don't count the Miller Family out for the Magic 2009. We may surprise yall.

Sounds like that year end bonus may have come in nice for you Willie...hope to see you make it official soon...the 5J's are leaning that way too...we had dinner with them down here in Florida recently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter