• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tulum or Chaccohoben Ruins tour?

tn4mickey

Mouseketeer
Dh and I are booked on PCC 4.0 and would like to hear input on shore excursions. Which is better Tulum or Chaccohben Ruins tours? There is $25 difference and a little time. Both of us are in good health and like to hike, we're looking for the best experience, what do you think? TIA

Guess I need to look at DCL's excursion to Tulum - but that should take up most of the port time in Cozumel!

I went on a private tour to the Chacchoben Ruins (with Ivan and David) in 2005, and it was great. I plan to book DCL's tour there on the Podcast cruise in December, as well as the Tulum Ruins tour.

**I checked both excursions on DCL's site. The Tulum Ruins excursion is 7-7.5 hours long (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/cozumel-mexico/tulum-ruins/), and the Chacchoben Ruins excursion is 4-4.5 hours long (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/c.../chacchoben-mayan-ruins-adult-only-departure/).

we are considering doing the chacchoben ruins tour when we're on our cruise, but we haven't found many people who seem to go on these tours.

do they cancel if they can't meet numbers? we're going nov 24-dec 1

We are sailing in Aug and were thinking about doing both Ruins. I would like to know what people think about these ruins. Should we just do 1 and something completely different for the other excursion. I can't lay on the beach and fry, so a beach activity is out for me.

We did the Chacchoben ruins on our own with David & Ivan in 2006. It was the highlight of our cruise and I would recommend it.

We've done both Tulum and Chacchoben. Both were very impressive and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to either. But if I had to choose between them, we enjoyed the Chacchoben ruins better. There seemed to be more walking at Chacchoben but then there were some unique things to see there. (There was also a lot of transportation time needed for Tulum -- the ferry, then walking to the bus then the bus. So even though the tour length is very different, I think you get about the same amount of time at the ruins -- maybe slightly more at Tulum. The bus ride to Chacchoben from Costa Maya was still about an hour each way if I remember correctly.)

On my 2005 Western Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean, I went to the Chacchoben Ruins and also to ruins in Belize. I decided against going to Tulum on that trip because I thought I would be "ruined out"! However, I made no alternative plans in Cozumel, and THAT was a big mistake! Therefore, I will book both Chacchoben and Tulum through DCL on my Fantasy cruise, and I'm sure I'll enjoy them.

We are sailing in Aug and were thinking about doing both Ruins. I would like to know what people think about these ruins. Should we just do 1 and something completely different for the other excursion. I can't lay on the beach and fry, so a beach activity is out for me.

We booked the Western cruise specifically for the ruins tour!

Originally, we were planning on Tulum but that ride time really turns me off. :scratchin I think we've decided on the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya and then the Cozumel Highlights and Mayan Ruins (ruins at San Gervasio) tour in Cozumel.

The Cozumel Highlights & Ruins tour also visits a tequilera (with tastings for the adults! :hyper:) and a seaside spot where, supposedly, the Spaniards landed. We're not beach-y people - CC will be enough for us, I think - so this tour seems like it will be interesting and fun!

Originally, we were planning on Tulum but that ride time really turns me off. :scratchin I think we've decided on the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya and then the Cozumel Highlights and Mayan Ruins (ruins at San Gervasio) tour in Cozumel.

The Cozumel Highlights & Ruins tour also visits a tequilera (with tastings for the adults! :hyper:) and a seaside spot where, supposedly, the Spaniards landed. We're not beach-y people - CC will be enough for us, I think - so this tour seems like it will be interesting and fun!

Hmmm...now you've got me considering this Cozumel excursion!

**I will be reading the Cozumel board at Cruise Critic more carefully in the next few months: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Hmmm- I missed that Cozumel one. I will have to take a look at it

I highly recommend skipping anything in Cozumel that requires the ferry, especially during the winter months. Somewhere on these boards (can't find it without the search) I posted a review of our miserable trip to Tulum. The ruins were cool, but not worth the pain of travel, particularly the ferry crossing which is notoriously difficult. We're doing another Western in January, and I definitely will be staying on Cozumel island. We'll use the mainland stop at Costa Maya to see some ruins.

I was very disappointed at the ruins on Cozumel island. While I know that ruins are re-created and rebuilt based on what we know or think we know about the people who lived there, it just rubbed me the wrong way when we were there and they were "refurbishing" the ruins. There seemed to be a lot of random people milling about and digging and moving things around so we asked about it. Basically our guide told us they were refurbishing by digging up any ol' rock and building something out of it. (We thought maybe they were students or some research group but we were told they were just locals paid to dig up any rock and haul it to where they were building something.) Just my opinion, we thought it was a waste of time after having been to Tulum and Chocchoban.

I was very disappointed at the ruins on Cozumel island. While I know that ruins are re-created and rebuilt based on what we know or think we know about the people who lived there, it just rubbed me the wrong way when we were there and they were "refurbishing" the ruins. There seemed to be a lot of random people milling about and digging and moving things around so we asked about it. Basically our guide told us they were refurbishing by digging up any ol' rock and building something out of it. (We thought maybe they were students or some research group but we were told they were just locals paid to dig up any rock and haul it to where they were building something.) Just my opinion, we thought it was a waste of time after having been to Tulum and Chocchoban.

Thanks that is good to know

Having been to both, I liked Tulum more.
The site was nicer and it is right on the beach. You can go down to the beach and swim. It is very nice.

The ride to both is long.
Yes, you do have to take a ferry from Cozumel to main land but we did not have any issues at all. We set outside on the 2nd deck and it was very nice.

We just did the Chaccohoben Ruins on the two weeks ago. My husband and I thought they were facinating and enjoyed the experience, but my 14 and 19 year old kids complained about how hot and muggy they were. So, it might not be for everyone. The bus ride was about 45 minutes or so, but was very comfortable. We hiked around and I'm still amazed at the whole Mayan culture. We had a great guide on our DCL tour too, which helped explain just how unique the structures are. On Cozumel we went to the Jade Caverns via off road sand rails. We will never do that again.

I wish DCL would run a tour to the Coba ruins. They are the best in that area, even better than Chichen Itza. In Coba they still allow you to climb the taller ruins.

we did the tulum ruins it was an amazing tour wear comfortable shoes and bring water it got very hot in april when we were there the tour guide was fun and knowledgable and then after the tulum ruins they take you along the coast with a nice picture spot and then to a small town that sell's black coral

I did both excursions and thought Tulum was much better. There were many more ruins and buildings as well as a small beach. Travel time is long to either so I highly recommend going through Disney to avoid worrying about missing the boat! Both took up the entire port day.

Tulum ruins are cool

tulum2.jpg

tulum4.jpg

but in the summer Tulum ruins are really HOT (this was May)

finallyabreese.jpg

There IS a ferry ride and it CAN be rough but in summer months usually is not .... usually {that comment is not based solely on a cruise stop or 7, but Coz was in my 'operations area' for 10 years of duty on CG Cutters and I was in that area quite regularly.}

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter