• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TTD in Houston after you disembark

cinderellanprince

Mouseketeer
Any suggestions for what to do/people have done after you disembark? We have a night flight out of Houston and looking for something to do with a family of a wide range of ages-- 6 to 91!

We just got back last night from five extra days in Houston after our trip on the Wonder last week. Something you might all enjoy is the Space Center Houston which is kind of between Galveston and the airport anyway. My kids liked it but the adults enjoyed it more.

My children's favorite thing we did while we were there was the Children's Museum. We have been to a few of these around the country and Houston's was by far the best. But that might not interest everyone in your group as much as the Space Center.

If you're flying out of IAH, be aware that it is pretty much on the far side of the city relative to Galveston and traffic can be *horrendous* at any time of day or night in Houston. Make sure, if you go to Johnson Space Center, that you can get to the airport in time. That said, I grew up going to JSC at least a dozen times a year and it was always a treat for me. I can only imagine how wonderful it is now that they've made it a genuine tourism destination.

thanks so much--that was actually on my list of things i was considering, but was not sure everyone of all ages would enjoy it.

My brother and his family (from the Houston area) met us at the Space Center so we had 6 kids with us: 18 months, 3, 6, 8, 9 & 10. Right now, there is an Angry Bird's exhibit that the kids really enjoyed and they probably could have spent all day playing there. There is also a Leonardo DiVinci exhibit there that my 10 year old loved. The kids did get a little restless going out on the tour, but that was the adults favorite part.

And I will seconded that traffic in Houston is a nightmare. Pretty comparable to LA. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere so plan accordingly. We were a little later than we wanted to be to the airport and although everything turned out OK, it was a little hairy there for a few minutes.

As an aside, if you can fly out of Houston Hobby Airport instead of IAH you will be on the correct side of town relative to JSC.

My brother and his family (from the Houston area) met us at the Space Center so we had 6 kids with us: 18 months, 3, 6, 8, 9 & 10. Right now, there is an Angry Bird's exhibit that the kids really enjoyed and they probably could have spent all day playing there. There is also a Leonardo DiVinci exhibit there that my 10 year old loved. The kids did get a little restless going out on the tour, but that was the adults favorite part.

And I will seconded that traffic in Houston is a nightmare. Pretty comparable to LA. It will take you twice as long to get anywhere so plan accordingly. We were a little later than we wanted to be to the airport and although everything turned out OK, it was a little hairy there for a few minutes.

Having lived in la and Houston can safely say Houston's is way worse. Also if flying from iah leave enough time to drop the rental car as the facility is not connected to the terminal buildings and requires a bus transfer

The children's museum is nice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter