TSM stampede question....

Holly324

Mouseketeer
We plan to do the TSM run twice during our trip in May. What is our best bet to get 2 rides each day? Should we get in FP line and then standby, or should we just get right into standby and pick up FP after our first ride? Would FP's be gone by then? Thanks! :goodvibes

If you are in the very front of the pack, then go ahead and FP first before riding. But if more than 50 or so people get in front of you then I would ride first and come back after.

But be warned, the line just to get FP's is very long first thing in the AM, so either be prepared to wait in it, or go ride something else and come back around 9:45 or 10am to get one without a wait (however the return time will be in the afternoon).

I would suggest riding standby and then doing the FP line. This works especially well if it's a morning EMH as the FP line generally is relatively short when you get off of the ride. On a regular opening, plan for the FP line to go all the way back past Little Mermaid and into the Animation Courtyard.

The problem with getting the FP first can be that you have such a long wait for the FP that the standby line is an hour by the time you get into it.

Please don't try to split up and have someone do the FP line and then attempt to rejoin the rest of the group in the standby line.

I don't know how busy it is in may, but what the wife and I do, every trip, including our one in 08 in June. I'd go ahead get FPs for the two of us. Meet her right outside and head into the line. Ride it, wander around and do our FPs and depending on when we get done there, we might FP it again. Thats our plan in how we do it.

Either one will work to get on it twice. We rode it last year 3 times by getting right to it, getting a fastpass then getting line. The line at that point was about 20 minutes, but it was more like 15. We got out then got back in line, it read 30 minutes at this time but it was more like 20. we then used out fastpass.

The FPs really shouldn't be gone with in the first hour the park is open, but crazier things have happened. I guess getting the fastpass first will guarantee you the second ride.

DH and I get there at rope drop and grab a fastpass first, then get in line. Whatever it says for time, it is usually shorter at the beginning of the day. When we come out after riding, if we are eligible and the line isn't too long, we grab another fastpass. That way we get to ride three times with very little waiting. We usually go in September, though, when crowds are light. Good luck!

We were there last month and went to HS twice on our trip. Each time we did rope drop: was there 1/2 hour before opening. Went right to the fastpass machine (one of us) grabbed our fast passes then rode the ride. Was awesome!!!

Please don't try to split up and have someone do the FP line and then attempt to rejoin the rest of the group in the standby line.

Why not? it's been a good couple weeks since we have seen a good heated debate thread here on this DIS about meeting up in line or what is and isnt' line hoping. :rotfl:

TIP:

Don't wear flimsy flip flops that day. You will get stepped on! In my mom's case, she got stepped on, her flop broke and fell off and back into the crowd. It was quite the scene :rotfl:

Just got back. Managed 5 rides (son did six).

Arrived for opening.
Got fastpass first (about 10th in line), got in standby line and rode in 5 min before first riders were coming back.

Rode standby for ride 2 with a 15 min wait.

Got second fastpass at 9:45 but did not ride as arms were tired.

Came back at lunch for a third ride (used first fastpass).
Got another set of fastpasses and rode a second time with earlier set.

Came back after supper for a fifth ride with the last set of fastpasses.

I left to ride RNR and my son rode a sixth time with a 20 min wait.

Keep in mind crowds were very low as a result of the rain and the tornado warnings and watches for the area. Got to love when mother nature helps control the crowd.

I would suggest riding standby and then doing the FP line. This works especially well if it's a morning EMH as the FP line generally is relatively short when you get off of the ride. The problem with getting the FP first can be that you have such a long wait for the FP that the standby line is an hour by the time you get into it.Please don't try to split up and have someone do the FP line and then attempt to rejoin the rest of the group in the standby line.

That's what I was worried about. I had been wondering if anyone had any experience with that. No worries...we will probably split up, but I won't get in line with the kids until DH is with us! :)
We were there last month and went to HS twice on our trip. Each time we did rope drop: was there 1/2 hour before opening. Went right to the fastpass machine (one of us) grabbed our fast passes then rode the ride. Was awesome!!!

That's what I'm hoping for!

Why not? it's been a good couple weeks since we have seen a good heated debate thread here on this DIS about meeting up in line or what is and isnt' line hoping. :rotfl:

Ahhhh!! Let's not....okay?? :rotfl2:
TIP:

Don't wear flimsy flip flops that day. You will get stepped on! In my mom's case, she got stepped on, her flop broke and fell off and back into the crowd. It was quite the scene :rotfl:

That couldn't have been fun....note made - no flip flops!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the advice all! :)

Just got back. Managed 5 rides (son did six).

Arrived for opening.
Got fastpass first (about 10th in line), got in standby line and rode in 5 min before first riders were coming back.

Rode standby for ride 2 with a 15 min wait.

Got second fastpass at 9:45 but did not ride as arms were tired.

Came back at lunch for a third ride (used first fastpass).
Got another set of fastpasses and rode a second time with earlier set.

Came back after supper for a fifth ride with the last set of fastpasses.

I left to ride RNR and my son rode a sixth time with a 20 min wait.

Keep in mind crowds were very low as a result of the rain and the tornado warnings and watches for the area. Got to love when mother nature helps control the crowd.

Wow! You must have been there on a day with low crowds.

Last year we arrived well before opening. Grabbed FP's and then got in the standby line. Had a while until our FP were good so we got in line for Buzz and Woody (very slow). By the time we got out the FP's for TSM were gone for the day.

This is true if everyone in your group wants to ride twice. However, if 1 person in your group is willing to ride only once send everyone else through the standby ride line while 1 person gets fps and waits for everyone to finish. There's even a chance that you can get a second set of fps and they WILL get to ride twice, and everyone else 3 times.

I would suggest riding standby and then doing the FP line. This works especially well if it's a morning EMH as the FP line generally is relatively short when you get off of the ride. On a regular opening, plan for the FP line to go all the way back past Little Mermaid and into the Animation Courtyard.

The problem with getting the FP first can be that you have such a long wait for the FP that the standby line is an hour by the time you get into it.

Ditto. I agree with 100% of this post!

IF you can see the rope, send one adult to get the FPs for the group, and then everyone get in line to ride standby. It normally takes 18 minutes from grabbing the fastpass to exiting the ride.

If you CANNOT see the rope, ride standby and then get FP's when you get off.

What if you just want to ride it once? Do you FP it or do you just jump in line - assuming you are there at opening?

What if you just want to ride it once? Do you FP it or do you just jump in line - assuming you are there at opening?

I also had this question when I first started using FP because I didn't quite understand it fully. Went around like crazy getting FP's whenever they became available - and ended up not using most of them... But we could always find some deserving family to give them to.
If you're only going to ride once, and you're there at opening - just go ahead and ride. The lines should be short enough.
HTH

Thanks - I appreciate the insight. I think that will be what we do. We definitely want to ride it but we want to do many other things as well. So once is enough for us. We will make it our first stop!

If you have never ridden it, I would do stand-by at least once. the queue itself is fun, esp. Mr. potato head

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter