• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TSA will allow small knives. What do you think?

From the link: ..."novelty-sized and toy bats, billiard cues, ski poles, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks and two golf clubs as part of their carry-on baggage..."

My comment--This may make the overhead bin baggage battles a little interesting. I'm guessing many of these items will be carried in cases? Will some passengers just shove the regular baggage back/aside to accommodate these long oversized items in the bin? What was TSA thinking? :rolleyes1

From the link: ..."novelty-sized and toy bats, billiard cues, ski poles, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks and two golf clubs as part of their carry-on baggage..."

My comment--This may make the overhead bin baggage battles a little interesting. I'm guessing many of these items will be carried in cases? Will some passengers just shove the regular baggage back/aside to accommodate these long oversized items in the bin? What was TSA thinking? :rolleyes1

just because the TSA is allowing it y law, does not mean the airlines have to allow something oversized onboard.

just because the TSA is allowing it y law, does not mean the airlines have to allow something oversized onboard.

Yea, I realize that. It will be interesting to watch if individual airlines have different rules on knives in the cabin, and all the other sports equipment. I see it as an unnecessary complication.

JMO-I think flight attendants may not be overly happy with the knife situation. It's OK for the flight crew, they're locked away in the cockpit.

Ahh, air travel, it was a lot more fun in the good 'ole days. ;)

I remember, shortly after 9/11, when my sister had her nail clippers confiscated before boarding a ship. She was pretty ticked off when she found out that they had "souvenir" nail clippers for sale in one of the gift shops on the ship. I mean, what did they think she was going to do with a pair of nail clippers? Grab the captain and threaten to clip his nails too short unless he sailed us to Cuba??? Sheesh.

Meh, I'm waiting for the change, that allows me to wear my shoes and carry a bottle of wine through security. Although, I'm not holding my breath...:rolleyes2

I wonder if we'll see lots of hold ups at the airport as people argue with the TSA about the length of their blade.

I've had the responsibility of measuring knives at work to see if they meet a threshold under federal law, and it's not always clear which parts count as blade, plus you're measuring something curved. I can imagine people either not thinking to measure their knives, or measuring it and getting a different result from TSA and being surprised when they're denied the opportunity to bring it on board.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of knives (no matter how big or small they are) in general, but not having to check my lacrosse stick will be nice.

Frankly, at this point, if I was on a plane and some guy started running around with his pocketknife thinking he coudl hijack the plane, I'd be laughing in his face before me & all the rest of the passengers wrestled him to the ground.

The days of "Do what the hijacker says" ended with 9/11. I think anyone trying to hijack a plane these days is infor the fight of their life. I am assuming that if my plane is being hijacked that I am going o die in the end enyway, so I wouldn't go down without a fight.

I wouldn't be laughing in the hijacker's face. I'd be PISSED. :mad: You know that as soon as we wrestled him to the floor and people are sitting on him that the pilot will have to divert the plane to the nearest airport to take that idiot off the plane. That means flight delays, missed connections, extra travel time. :furious:

Perhaps the TSA included these back on so we can use them to fight the idiot hijacker with the pocket knife?
lynchstill1.gif

I wouldn't be laughing in the hijacker's face. I'd be PISSED. :mad: You know that as soon as we wrestled him to the floor and people are sitting on him that the pilot will have to divert the plane to the nearest airport to take that idiot off the plane. That means flight delays, missed connections, extra travel time. :furious:

That would be a very good reason to beat him/her senseless. You won't get there any sooner but you would feel better about it. :rotfl::thumbsup2

gwynne said:
Yea, I realize that. It will be interesting to watch if individual airlines have different rules on knives in the cabin, and all the other sports equipment. I see it as an unnecessary complication.
Given that airlines don't pat you down before you board, they are going to have to live with TSA's rules regarding knives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter