TSA Precheck approval process- our timeline

It took me about two weeks to get mine in August, but I opted for Global Entry since it was only $15 more than just Pre, and I know I’m going to be traveling internationally multiple times in the next five years so it just made more sense. I was able to get a same day appointment at JFK when they sent me the email to schedule the interview. It actually took me longer to park than to do it.

I would strongly suggest to anyone considering Pre to look into Global Entry even if you’re even considering international travel. You get all the benefits of Pre plus expedited customs processing.

For those heading into renewals of their PreCheck, such as myself, you can do it completely online. No re-visit to airport or wherever you originally had it done necessary. Filled in a form (have passport handy for passport number and issue and expiration dates), sent in the $85 by CC, and had my new expiration date in about 1 hour. I also got to keep the same KTN, which saved me having to go back and re enter it on various airline sites.

Thanks for posting. I’ll need this info soon.

I have Global Entry, and was renewing it. It can all be done online, no interview required for a renewal. It did take 6 weeks. You have a year to renew Global Entry, I’d suggest start earlier than I did. (I assumed it would take two weeks, and then was stuck 4 weeks without TSA Pre!!!)

My American credit card refunded the application fee when it was charged to the card. I didn’t have to contact them.

I read this thread the day after I went in for my appointment, lol. I had no problem using the regular TSA lines going from RDU to MCO until last year (it was less than 10 minutes), but then leaving MCO last time... I waited 30-40 minutes in line. (Of course, it was a Saturday afternoon in which lots of families were leaving or arriving.) I swore never again.

Southwest Rapid Rewards allows you to trade in a number of points for a TSA precheck code that waives the $85 entry fee, so I used that. And looking at other people's history and timing of getting their KTN, I expect to get my email confirmation on Friday.

For those heading into renewals of their PreCheck, such as myself, you can do it completely online. No re-visit to airport or wherever you originally had it done necessary. Filled in a form (have passport handy for passport number and issue and expiration dates), sent in the $85 by CC, and had my new expiration date in about 1 hour. I also got to keep the same KTN, which saved me having to go back and re enter it on various airline sites.

Quick question. I checked my expiration date today which is March 2020. It said I can renew starting September 2019 (6 months earlier). If I renew when my window opens, will my new expiration date be September, or will I keep my March expiration plus 5 years 2025. I don’t want to waste the last 6 months of my membership by renewing early. Hope that makes sense.

Quick question. I checked my expiration date today which is March 2020. It said I can renew starting September 2019 (6 months earlier). If I renew when my window opens, will my new expiration date be September, or will I keep my March expiration plus 5 years 2025. I don’t want to waste the last 6 months of my membership by renewing early. Hope that makes sense.
Your new expiration date will be March 2025. With mine, the original expiration was Mar 2019 and when I renewed it updated to Mar 2024.

Thanks. I tried FAQ on their website with no luck. I didn’t want to cheat myself out of 6 months for renewing when the window opens!

I read this thread the day after I went in for my appointment, lol. I had no problem using the regular TSA lines going from RDU to MCO until last year (it was less than 10 minutes), but then leaving MCO last time... I waited 30-40 minutes in line. (Of course, it was a Saturday afternoon in which lots of families were leaving or arriving.) I swore never again.

Southwest Rapid Rewards allows you to trade in a number of points for a TSA precheck code that waives the $85 entry fee, so I used that. And looking at other people's history and timing of getting their KTN, I expect to get my email confirmation on Friday.
Where can I find how to cash in rewards points for that code?

From Interview to receiving KTN was 9 days. For anyone interested, the Navy Federal Credit Union Flagship Rewards card offers TSA Pre or GE reimbursement for not only the card holder but all Authorized Users as well. I believe this is the least expensive card that offers this and the only one I'm aware of that doesn't charge for AUs. The Annual Fee is only $49.

I got my confirmation email earlier today.

Still surprised at the quick turnaround.

We had our interviews Monday. I got my email confirmation yesterday (Thursday) and my husband and daughter got theirs today. Super fast turn around!

Correct, PP was specifically referring to using Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points for reimbursement. To the best of my knowledge this is the only program that has this restriction.

I filled out the application online and scheduled the appointment on 9/11/19. Our appointments were for Wednesday 9/18/19. Appointment took less than 10 mins. Eligibility was determined on 9/19/19 and I received the email with the KTN on 9/21/19. It was about 3.5 days after the interview. Very surprised at how quick the process went.

I filled out the application online and scheduled the appointment on 9/11/19. Our appointments were for Wednesday 9/18/19. Appointment took less than 10 mins. Eligibility was determined on 9/19/19 and I received the email with the KTN on 9/21/19. It was about 3.5 days after the interview. Very surprised at how quick the process went.
Similar timeline. Very surprised how fast the process was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter