• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TSA locks for luggage

Sarah28

DIS Veteran
Hi all

Was hoping someone can help me please! We fly on saturday and I was just getting last bits sorted when my other half's dad explained to us that you need special locks for your luggage when flying to USA incase they need to get into them. Can someone please explain this a bit more to me, and if anyone could please share their experience with locking their suitcases, that would be fab! :thumbsup2 I'm just a bit concerned I've left it a bit late to get some - not even sure where I could get some and I don't really wanna risk not locking it at all, especially as we are doing twilight check in. Thanks :goodvibes

You should be able to get them at any luggage store or even places like Superdrug and Semi Chem sometimes sell them. Otherwise you may be able to arrange a next day delivery online.

TSA approved locks just mean that IF customs in the US need to open your luggage, they have a key that allows them to open the lock without destroying it and they can therefore replace it once they are finished. If they do need to open it, a red ring appears around the base of the lock as an indicator that it has been opened. This disappears again when you open it with your own key/combination.

Many folk prefer not to lock their bags at all. I would want mine locked if doing twilight check in but again, it's a matter of personal preference.

I've seen the TSA locks in Boots recently as well.

If your case has a combination lock already and no facility for adding a external lock then you can get TSA luggage straps as well :)

I've seen them in Asda and Tesco, think it's about £5 for a pack of 2.

Personally I never lock my suitcase, and have never had any problems. After seeing Youtube clips, if someone wants to open a suitcase (even with TSA locks on) they can do it in seconds with a pen.

I never put anything of value in my cases anyway, and they go out empty so we can fill them with goodies. :goodvibes

Di x

ETA: I know some people just use cable ties and cut them off when they get to their hotel/villa. If customs need to get into your case they put a letter in it saying it has been opened and checked so you will know.

I second the above: never put any valuables in checked baggage for a number of reasons! I never lock ours if we check baggage.

Keep your valuables on you, and, if possible, 48 hours worth of clothes too :headache:

I am same as previous 2 posts, never lock a case, they are far too easy to get in with or without locks, I have seen the Youtube vids, TSA locks are quite useless, a zip can be opened in 2 seconds, a soft sided case can be torn open in seconds......
If anything is taken it can be replaced, if they take it coming home it will save on the washing:rotfl:
Never put anything of value in a case either locked or unlocked.

i lock my suitcases not to keep people out, but to keep my stuff in..

my bags have zippers...without the locks, the zippers have a tendency to slide open...

I always lock our cases, I know that if someone wants to break in they still can but I hope it would deter an opportunistic thief, plus as Disneyholic said I worry that they will open otherwise!

You can buy the locks at the airport as well. But like PP's we never lock our bags and we always do the twi-light check in and have never had any problems. We used to lock them but I don't think we have ever got home from MCO without a note inside our bags saying they had been opened and checked anyway! Quite frankly if somebody wants to get in your case they will do without any problem with or without locks. :confused3 Also think that maybe a opportunist will target a locked bag in the hope that there maybe something more worth while in there, but I suppose you could also say they might target an unlocked bag because its quicker and easier! who knows!

We used TSA locks and cable ties on our suitcases last year as we were carrying all our Wedding stuff. All cases arrived safely but we struggled to get off the cable ties for ages as we had nothing sharp to cut them off with (nail scissors / clippers were inside the case!) :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter