TSA and HA screening

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
My DH has mobility issues. It is really not possible for him to stand with his arms above his head without losing his balance, so he can't do the new body scanners. He uses a cane and a scooter. Bottomline: he ends up having to go through the "groping" every time we go through the security line at airports. We are not ordinarily complainers, but DH is a disabled 78 year old veteran and somehow this whole thing seems invasive and discriminatory. Does anyone have suggestions for us? TIA.

Hi Jean,
I know someone who works for the TSA and I asked him about it. This is what he told me:

If you are not physically able to hold the pose for the body scanner you should be directed to the metal detectors. You need to let them know that you aren't able to hold the pose though and not just decline to go through the scanner. If you just decline to go through the scanner without explaining that you aren't able to hold the pose you automatically get the pat down. As long as he can walk through the metal detector with a cane he should be able to avoid the pat down.

Hope this helps.:goodvibes

This is very helpful. Thank you so much. We are flying on Sunday. I will try to explain and see what happens. We will not make a fuss, regardless, but I was shocked at how invasive the pat down is. Thanks again for being so kind to ask for us. :love:
One potential issue: He has a prosthetic knee that may set off the metal detector, so he may still be patted down.

I would have him pull up his pant leg (if he is comfortable) when he goes through the metal detector. If they know about it the less likely they will pat you down.

DH has artificial knees and if there's any question they just use the wand.

I have seen situations where the agent had the person wait outside the metal detector in a wheelchair while the cane was xrayed, then gave the cane back so the person could walk thru the scanner with it.
I've also seen where the person waited in a wheelchair on one side of the detector, walked thru and then got into a waiting wheelchair on the other side.

My youngest daughter has been hand checked since she was between 2 or 3 because she can't walk or stand. We try to be clear to the TSA people on what she can and can't do and do whatever we can to assist the process so it's over as quickly as possible.

I'm gong to move this to the regular disABILITIES Board where you may get more replies.

As I can't walk through the scanner I always get the pat-down and yes, it does feel invasive. It also seems rather ridiculous as there are still areas they don't check where if I were a terrorist, I'd hide my "stuff". They swab my equipment and run it through a machine. Thankfully it's all over very quickly. My service dog also gets the pat-down, which she loves. :-)

As I can't walk through the scanner I always get the pat-down and yes, it does feel invasive. It also seems rather ridiculous as there are still areas they don't check where if I were a terrorist, I'd hide my "stuff". They swab my equipment and run it through a machine. Thankfully it's all over very quickly. My service dog also gets the pat-down, which she loves. :-)

I am glad to know that my DH is not the only one who feels somewhat violated. I just wish that there were a way for disabled people to get pre-certified, like some frequent fliers, so that all of this were not necessary every time. We are not ordinarily sensitive about these kinds of things but somehow this issue just sticks in our craws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter