TS Recommendations for 8 year old girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katibosch

Mouseketeer
My daughter and I are flying in to Orlando, we arrive at 1:55 pm. We are staying at All Star Movies and taking DME to the resort. I would like to eat supper at one of the parks and hit a few attractions that late afternoon and evening -- is that feasible at all? What would you recommend? My daughter is 8, loves Princesses but has been to Akershus already and isn't especially fond of EPCOT anyway so I'd rather have something in the other 3 parks. Ideas, please? :)

Be Our Guest -MK
Sci-FI in DHS (not princess related but a cool atmosphere)
1900 Park Faire (I realize it isn't in a park but just a short monorail away from MK)

At 1900 you can also take a boat, i love boats!

I agree. My kids loved seeing Cinderella, Prince Charming and the stepsisters at 1900 - the stepsisters are really funny - and the food was pretty good. They also enjoyed the boat ride to MK and exploring the lobby of the Grand Floridian.

WIth the non-refundable $10 pp no show fee, my personal policy is no non-refundable ADRs on arrival day. You never know with air travel when youwill actually arrive

My last flight was cancelled. Instead of arriving at 10:30 am, we finally got there at 4:30 pm.

My advice? Play it by ear and plan on CS for your arrival day. It takes all the stress off and you can decide on the ground what park to go to

We often played bus routlette - whatever comes first, that's the one we got on!

Other option, once you are on thr ground, call and make an ADR for a TS same day. Pickings might be a tad slimmer, but alot of people cancel the night before. You would be surprised what coveted ADRs are available same day/next day

Have a great trip!!!

I agree with Pumbaa_ --- we don't do ADRs on arrival day. Also, my kids are so excited on that first day that they don't want to waste time in a restaurant! We usually go to MK first, get a favorite snack, go around the park like crazy, then head back to the hotel for a quick bite before a swim.

If you decide to make one...I would agree with 1900. All of my kids love it. Very entertaining!

Last year I had an ADR scheduled for arrival and we ended up missing our plane so we got in later than expected. As soon as I realized we weren't going to make it on time to Disney, I called the dining number and cancelled the reservation and they did not charge the $10 no show fee even though I was well within the 24 hour time frame for cancellations.

LOVE 1900 Park Fare!! But even if your flight is on time, you have to get through the airport, wait for the bus to leave, add in travel time to the resort and check in...that gets you to about 3:30-4 pm at best. If you get right on a bus, it's nearing 5 by the time you hit your next destination. I personally think you can hit something that evening, but I would either choose a park with a quick service meal OR a nice dinner at a resort at a little later time slot. No need to add stress into the night by packing in all the things at once! Also many airlines have a way to check the on-time percentage for your flight, so maybe you can check that and see what you're up against to start.

Buying a $25 prepaid visa and spending all but $1 on it solves the issue of being charged the no show fee is something happens like described above. I never reserve or book anything with my regular debit card because things can happen that are out of your control. People should call Disney immediately as soon as they realize the can't make a reservation but I'm also not going to pay a no show fee for something that is out of my control. In regards to restaurants like BoG, Disney is not losing any money if you don't show. There is a 100% chance someone will take that spot. So no, I'm not paying $10 per person for someone else to eat.

A prepaid card only needs to have $1.00 on it to authorize a res. I have used this method for over probably 10 years. Fortunately, I've never had to miss a reservation. I'm not saying use a prepaid card to abuse the system, but if you are concerned about having to pay a no show fee in case you can't make it due to unforseen isuees, that is an option that can let you rest easy.

Buying a $25 prepaid visa and spending all but $1 on it solves the issue of being charged the no show fee is something happens like described above. I never reserve or book anything with my regular debit card because things can happen that are out of your control. People should call Disney immediately as soon as they realize the can't make a reservation but I'm also not going to pay a no show fee for something that is out of my control. In regards to restaurants like BoG, Disney is not losing any money if you don't show. There is a 100% chance someone will take that spot. So no, I'm not paying $10 per person for someone else to eat.

A prepaid card only needs to have $1.00 on it to authorize a res. I have used this method for over probably 10 years. Fortunately, I've never had to miss a reservation. I'm not saying use a prepaid card to abuse the system, but if you are concerned about having to pay a no show fee in case you can't make it due to unforseen isuees, that is an option that can let you rest easy.

How on earth is this NOT abusing the system? You're setting it up so you don't have to pay a fee that's required if you cancel---that's abusing the system! No way to justify that one. Whether you think it's a reasonable rule or not is another story. Whether Disney is nice and waives the fee is another story. But it IS a rule that you're choosing to circumvent.

You're setting it up so you don't have to pay a fee that's required if you cancel

But thats the point. I'm not canceling. If my flight gets delayed, which I would have proof of, its beyond my control if I didn't make it. If I dilly-dally around in DTD and miss a reservation, then I should pay the fee and I would.

I have never abused the system by doing this because I either cancel in the allotted time frame or have made it to my reservations. So, no, you are incorrect. With everyone being linked to reservations via a name, address, and phone number it would not be difficult for Disney to see if people were abusing the system and ban them from the parks or from making reservations.

What about people who don't have credit/debit cards? Do you think they shouldn't be able to make a reservation? Thats exactly how I discovered it. I don't have a credit card to my name and at the time I didn't have a checking account.

If my flight is delayed or I'm in a car wreck on the way there, thats not me canceling or "not showing". I made every reasonable effort to keep my reservation but something beyond my control stopped me and I dare say Disney wouldn't hold it against me in the first place being that I'd have and offer proof of such. There is a difference in that and me just not caring enough to show up or cancel.

When dealing with children, as Disney does, the cancellation should be a lot more family friendly. 4 to 6 hours would be sufficient. I keep hoping Disney will amend this because I can't imagine traveling with kids and waking up one morning to have a sick kid plus dealing with a $50 fee for your party of 5 all because you were courteous enough to not take your sick kid into the restaurant.

There are ways to block prepaid cards. Paypal use to do it. If it becomes a problem, I'm sure Disney will take care of it.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a whole lot of justification there!

Disney policy doesn't distinguish between whether something is beyond your control or not. That's not their problem. Whether it's a delayed flight, a sick kid, or just a change in plans--those are all cancellations. If Disney is nice enough to excuse you and not require the fee, that's great. But you can't expect it, no matter the reason for your cancellation.

If you don't have a credit card, you can get a prepaid card, just as you already do, but make sure there's enough to cover the fee if necessary. Purposely making sure there's only $1 on there so they can't take their fee when it's due is abusing the system. Period.

Again, all the reasons you keep listing--doesn't matter to Disney! You say you're not cancelling, but YOU ARE! You may be cancelling because of a delayed flight or car wreck, but you are cancelling! As far as Disney's policy is concerned, there's no difference in that and just not showing up.

before this heads any further down the path of justification of humongous working around the spirit of the policy, we will just end it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter