• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

trying to wrap my head around DVC...

SunshineSusie

Earning My Ears
We've been considering DVC for about a year now. The sticker price scared us away last year, but this year on our cruise we went to a DVC info meeting. We really do want to join now. I'm thinking for us, resale is the way to go (Family of 4, 2 young children).
I've been looking at the Timeshare Store at different options. I have a few questions and would appreciate any guidance offered!
1- Why are Vero points so much cheaper than other resorts?
2- how well does DVC and DCL work together?
3- we want to do a week long summer vacation every year (cruises preferred) and I wouldn't mind a 3-4 day weekend at a place that's in driving distance (in the Midwest) using the points once/year also. So how many points do you think we need? DH and I were thinking 300. Too many? Not enough?
TIA!

I wouldn't buy DVC points with the intention of heavily using them for cruises. You can do it cheaper paying cash most of the time. Or trading out to RCI. DVC points are best for Disney resorts.

Vero Beach is cheaper because it's not as in demand. It also has high maintenance fees.

Edited: can you even use resale points for cruises? Isn't that one of the items they removed for resale purchaser options? (Not a question to the OP, but others.)

I wouldn't buy DVC points with the intention of heavily using them for cruises. You can do it cheaper paying cash most of the time. Or trading out to RCI. DVC points are best for Disney resorts. Vero Beach is cheaper because it's not as in demand. It also has high maintenance fees. Edited: can you even use resale points for cruises? Isn't that one of the items they removed for resale purchaser options? (Not a question to the OP, but others.)

Nope, you can't use resale points for cruises anymore. Also, it doesn't make sense financially to use points for cruises. It's cheaper to pay OOP for cruises.

Also unless Orlando is considered driving distance form the Midwest, you must be considering trading out to another timeshare. Also not a good use of DVC points.

Buy DVC to stay at DVC resorts, whether you buy direct or resale. If you were to buy direct, you would spend a ton more per point. We saved $18,000 buying our 300 points resale, versus if we had bought direct. That's adequate to fund a whole lot of cruises, without spending any of your points.

There are no reasonable timeshare trade outs for DVC in the Midwest. Many timeshare ownerships in our region (I live near Cincinnati) can be bought for literally one dollar. You'd be crazy to spend DVC points to stay at one of those options.

So, if you see yourself consistently visiting WDW (or other DVC resorts) annually to once every two years, for at least a decade, buy DVC. For the other options, cash or different timeshare systems are a wiser financial play. If you're not planning to stay at a DVC resort this often, don't buy in.

And don't forget that you CAN use a DVC resale contract to book a cruise. It's just less straightforward. You rent your points at $11 through a broker, and then use the proceeds to pay cash to DCL...

We've been considering DVC for about a year now. The sticker price scared us away last year, but this year on our cruise we went to a DVC info meeting. We really do want to join now. I'm thinking for us, resale is the way to go (Family of 4, 2 young children).
I've been looking at the Timeshare Store at different options. I have a few questions and would appreciate any guidance offered!
1- Why are Vero points so much cheaper than other resorts?
2- how well does DVC and DCL work together?
3- we want to do a week long summer vacation every year (cruises preferred) and I wouldn't mind a 3-4 day weekend at a place that's in driving distance (in the Midwest) using the points once/year also. So how many points do you think we need? DH and I were thinking 300. Too many? Not enough?
TIA!

Disney advertises all of the wonderful places where you can use your points but it's to make a sale. Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do so.

:earsboy: Bill

It sounds like you are not planning on using DVC for DVC resorts very often, if at all? If so then don't buy it. DVC's value is in using it for DVC resorts. In most other cases you're better off paying cash.

You cannot use resale points purchased after March 2011 towards DCL. Even if they could be used then from what I see for a week long cruise in the summer it's going to be over 250 points per person for the first 2 adults in the very cheapest cabin so lots of point required. And DVC is not good to use to trade out to other destinations on a regular basis - very poor value. Trades also have a $95 booking fee and there's no guarantee that there will be cabins available on DCL. Just a few years ago bookings were suspended for a time for DVC owners wanting to use points on cruises.

1. If you use DVC at Disney World and you buy resale you might break even at the 8-10 year mark (over paying cash for rooms on your Disney vacations).
2. It makes sense for people that vacation at Disney every year or at a minimum every 2 years and want Deluxe resorts.
3. If using DVC for anything other than the DVC resorts you are paying a premium.
4. You really need to be able to plan your trip at least 7 months in advance preferably 11 months.

There are +/- 's to these but if your plans differ significantly from any of these rules of thumb then DVC is the wrong thing.

TIA!
300 too many.

If that's what you want to do, seeking deals and paying cash is probably your best bet. Getting cash deals is almost certainly the best deal for cruises.

Using DVC points for cruises and other non-DVC stuff is a huge waste of money.

There are good timeshare options for the Midwest, but probably not for 3-4 days once a year. A week a year, plus a couple of long weekends...yes. 3-4 days once a year...nah. Cash is king there, too. Investigate renting stays from timeshare owners. (NOT DVC owners)

With the others here - if you are planning on buying DVC to use on cruises - DON'T. Cruises will actually be MORE expensive generally this way than just booking cruises smartly (book them early when they first open up).

DVC should only be used for DVC unless you have lots of money to throw around and don't care about best values. Then there is a level of convenience to using the DVC system to book these other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter