Trying to stay positive

Mcky36

Mouseketeer
Heading to the parks in February. Its the only time we could make work with school and work. We knew there would be some closures but gosh, there are SO many with the 60th anniversary coming up!! We've been managing our expectations and trying to just be happy with what we WILL be able to do, but the list just keeps growing and growing.

The kicker though...I called tonight to book the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I figured with all the closures, this would be a good time to take advantage of the tour and my 11 year old daughter has been soooo excited to see Walt's apartment. Wouldn't you know it......THAT is closed too! So we don't even get to see it on the tour :(

Trying to stay positive. We still get to go to Disneyland, but man, this refurbishment schedule is crazy all at once:

Disneyland

Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Mickey's Toontown Closed for Refurbishment
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Closed for Refurbishment
Peter Pan's Flight Closed for Refurbishment
Splash Mountain Closed for Refurbishment
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Main Street, U.S.A. Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - New Orleans Square Closed for Refurbishment
Matterhorn Bobsleds Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Tomorrowland Closed for Refurbishment
The Briar Patch Closed for Refurbishment
Professor Barnaby Owl's Photographic Art Studio Closed for Refurbishment
Enchanted Chamber Closed for Refurbishment
Le Bat en Rouge Closed for Refurbishment
Pooh Corner Closed for Refurbishment
Hungry Bear Restaurant Closed for Refurbishment

Disney California Adventure Park
Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar Closed for Refurbishment
Soarin' Over California Closed for Refurbishment
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail Closed for Refurbishment
World of Color Closed for Refurbishment
Grizzly River Run Closed for Refurbishment
Boardwalk Bazaar Closed for Refurbishment
Sideshow Shirts Closed for Refurbishment
Point Magu Tattoo Closed for Refurbishment
Fly 'n' Buy Closed for Refurbishment
Taste Pilots' Grill Closed for Refurbishment
Ariel's Grotto Closed for Refurbishment

Oh my. Is that an official from Disney list? Maybe this will be the trip to do more character meet and greets than you otherwise would. Characters are something we often skipped in favor of rides but I have found the pictures I cherish the most from our trips are always the character pictures with my family members. Also maybe try a dining experience: my favorite budget-friendly one is breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace. Don't rush it, just soak all the Disney in. They say it was one Walt's favorite places to enjoy the park from. If budget allows: blue bayou is a very unique dining experience that I even enjoyed as a young kid because it is was in POTC. Take the monorail for a whole ride around, ask the drivers to sit up front & be willing to wait if necessary, it's so cool & never gets old.

I went in May last year, and while the list was not this long, there were a lot of rides closed that I could have taken my son on.

At the time he was 2 and we were very limited to what he could ride. We tried to find the positive in the trip, it was his first trip and we had so much fun even though some key rides were down.

We will be there at the end of February and it's disappointing to see how long the refurb list is but it's also considered the slow time of the year, tack on the 60th anniversary and it was bound to happen.

Look into some lesser known things we probably miss out on when everything is up and running. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I know the refurbishment list seems dauntingly long, but try to focus on what IS open. There is so much more to see or do than most people realize. The 'non-E ticket rides' can bring a lot of nostagia, and you'll most likely get to go on attractions that you may not have either been on or thought to go on!

I could be wrong, but I heard that the Walk in Walt's Steps goes into the Dream Suite instead of Walt's apartment. Have you ever seen pictures of it? IT'S FABULOUSLY GORGEOUS!! And a real treat to go inside, since it's so rarely accessible to us common folks!

California Adventure has some fun interactive things to do along Hollywood Land. And if you've never stopped to see Alladin, plan on that! It's a GREAT performance that I bet your daughter will love!

You can also have new experiences trying different restaurants. Go out of your comfort zone, and skip the burgers in favor of something different. There's lots to chose from, especially at California Adventure.

While your favorite attractions may not be available, use this as an opportunity to go explore. I'm betting it'll be a trip like you've never had before!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I went ahead and booked a Fantasmic dinner package, so we are excited about that, and catching Aladdin is a great idea too....we usually skip it in lieu of getting more rides in, so this is a perfect opportunity for that as well. Thanks for all the positive posts....I'm excited again! :)

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I went ahead and booked a Fantasmic dinner package, so we are excited about that, and catching Aladdin is a great idea too....we usually skip it in lieu of getting more rides in, so this is a perfect opportunity for that as well. Thanks for all the positive posts....I'm excited again! :)

The Aladdin show is fantastic!!! You will enjoy it for sure! Not sure if you DD is still into Frozen but there is ALL that to walk through as well ;-)

What are your dates? We will be there President's Day week, and the refurb list is lengthy, but not as long as that!!!

We will have crowds too...but I am used to bigger crowds at WDW, an not used to the lower levels at DL/DCA, so trying to go with low expectations, so guaranteeing a great trip!

I can definitely understand how intimidating and disappointing the refurb list is however this year is a double whammy of slow season and 60th anniversary work. While I'm local not everyone is so firtunate so this can seem like the worst possible thing. You definitely seem to have the right outlook that you'll still be at Disneyland so that's a start.

Some of our favorites will be down too during out trip so these are things I am hoping to focus on. Take it with a grain of salt since it's just DH and me :

Drawing characters at animation academy

Finding more hidden mickeys with our book

Taking the slow and steady approach - taking things in rather than focusing on going going all the time

Catching some of the DCA street entertainment

Enjoying a half pool/resort day ( staying at the DLH ourselves)

Taking photos around the park and finding new areas to photograph

Taking the Carthay Circle restaurant tour which happens at 10:30am

Strolling around the park at closing - the most peaceful and magical time of day especially around Rivers of America.

Watching the lighting of Carsland at dusk

Just a few examples and obviously much different with a family but these are things we look forward to on this trip.

Where are you getting your refurb info from? This site doesn't have nearly as long of a list. I'm wondering of there is a more extensive list I should be checking for our trip in May.

When we went in 2013 splash mountain, big thunder mountain railroad, tea cups and grizzly river run were all closed, as was the main street train station. It was a bummer since BTMRR and splash are my 2 favourite rides but it was still an amazing trip. We are going back the last week in sept. I am hoping the bulk of the refurbs will be done and we won't have many major refurbs.

While still a lot to be closed, it doesn't look as bad when looked at like this.

Disneyland
Attractions
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough / Enchanted Chamber (alt. experience) - Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Closed for Refurbishment
Stores/Restaurants

Attractions
Stores/Restaurants
Other
Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar (Preview Center) Closed until further notice.

We will be there in February as well. Very disappointing. Especially when the castle will also be covered with a lovely tarp and the water at DCA is drained.

I am really annoyed that they are closing entire lands in the each park because that will make crowds seem worse in addition to so many rides being down. Just less places for people to be. Blech.

Heading to the parks in February. Its the only time we could make work with school and work. We knew there would be some closures but gosh, there are SO many with the 60th anniversary coming up!! We've been managing our expectations and trying to just be happy with what we WILL be able to do, but the list just keeps growing and growing.

The kicker though...I called tonight to book the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. I figured with all the closures, this would be a good time to take advantage of the tour and my 11 year old daughter has been soooo excited to see Walt's apartment. Wouldn't you know it......THAT is closed too! So we don't even get to see it on the tour :(

Trying to stay positive. We still get to go to Disneyland, but man, this refurbishment schedule is crazy all at once:

Disneyland

Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Mickey's Toontown Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Main Street, U.S.A. Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - New Orleans Square Closed for Refurbishment
Disneyland Railroad - Tomorrowland Closed for Refurbishment
Enchanted Chamber Closed for Refurbishment

Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar Closed for Refurbishment

It's really hard to stay positive with a list like that. On the Feb 2015 thread here we were talking about this and I posted this list, it is basically the same list but reorganized to be easier to read. Disneyland lumps all the closures together so it is harder to read.

Rides:
Disneyland Railroad
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Peter Pan's Flight
Splash Mountain
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Soarin' Over California
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Grizzly River Run
Luigi's Flying Tires (I hesitate to add this one since the ride is closed permanently and the new one is not opening until the end of the year so this is not really a refub and more a redo!)

So, 9 rides between the two parks being refurbished and 1 being totally redone.

Shops:
The Briar Patch
Professor Barnaby Owl's Photographic Art Studio
Boardwalk Bazaar
Sideshow Shirts
Point Magu Tattoo
Enchanted Chamber
Le Bat en Rouge
Pooh Corner
La Mascarade d'Orleans
Fly 'n' Buy

Restaurants:
Hungry Bear Restaurant
Taste Pilots' Grill
Ariel's Grotto

Shows and other:
World of Color
Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

I know it is the same list, but it makes it a bit easier to deal with laid out like that...at least for me it does!

So ALL of Critter Country is going to be closed...hmmm...sounds as though there will be some special '60th Anniversary' item or activity in that area...does anyone have any info about that?

So ALL of Critter Country is going to be closed...hmmm...sounds as though there will be some special '60th Anniversary' item or activity in that area...does anyone have any info about that?

I don't think so. They are just refurbishing Splash and Pooh so there's no reason to keep the shops and restaurants open over there. Basically so save money, they close the whole area down.

Condor Flats at DCA will also be completely closed (well, it is already) but that is for a total retheme.

If you look at how others have posted it, it does not seem as bad, when grouped into categories.

The thing is...does it suck, yep. Can you do anything about it, nope. So I will echo other posters here. Take the time to see the shows and parades, meet more characters, find hidden Mickey's. Its the perfect opportunity to just take in the moment. :thumbsup2

When it comes down to it you are at Disneyland :cool1: and its the Happiest Place on Earth!

Wishing you the most magical time!

We are also on the February thread and there are tons of posts there about it. We are going to try and hit things we've never done before this trip. So instead of my 4 year old riding Pooh over and over because it will be closed, she might find a new favorite show or ride she likes more to try over and over LOL. She is now tall enough for everything except Screamin so it will be a new experience for us to be able to all go on a ride together.

Doubt it. This is not the first time they have closed all of Critter Country for refurbishment. The years start to blend together for me, but I think they did this in 2011. They just put a big barrier up across the whole path at some point after the Haunted Mansion.

I'm wondering if Disney just figures that since the biggest draw to the area is Splash Mountain that by the numbers it is more cost-effective for them to shut down the whole land during an extended off-season Splash refurb.

Saw some mention of a tarp covering the castle while reading this thread. Does anyone know around what date that might happen? Had a trip planned for the last weekend in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter