Trying to plan a road trip

MattsPrincess

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle
DH and I have lived in Tucson for 4 years now, and have yet to really tour around. Now we're faced with the prospect of moving back east next year, and I feel like we need to get out there and see what there is to see in this part of the country. I'm trying to decide between two routes:

1. Up from Tucson to the Grand Canyon, Zion, then down into Vegas and southern California and back home.

2. Same through Zion, but then continuing through more of Utah, head toward Seattle, then do most of Cali and back home.

Is there an advantage to one or the other? Things to see and do along both? We're both 23, no kids. Vegas doesn't hold a ton of interest for either of us, it would be more for the sake of saying we'd been there.

Can you do both? We are just back from a 9 weeks road trip (from Canada) and we did parts of Colorado, then Arizona; Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest-then Southern California up the coast to San Francisco then Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley then a little stop in Vegas (like you just for the sake of saying we have been...) then Utah; Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands then home.

For us, the "not to miss" would be: Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, Bryce Canyon I think. But I'm sure there is plenty more to see...

I would guess you've been to the GC since it's in your state. Why not north into Utah. Zion Bryce and other. North to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Then West maybe stopping at Glacier. I90 to Seattle. Go South by Crater Lake. SF to LA maybe with coast driving then back to AZ.

Remember if you hit a lot of parks there is a pass for all of them and if you forget hold on to the entrance reciepts because they are upgradeable like Disney tickets.

I would guess you've been to the GC since it's in your state.

As surprising as this may sound, not everybody who lives in Arizona has been to the Grand Canyon. In fact, it's a bit of a haul from southern Arizona. I have lived in Arizona for 40+ years and have only been 4 times in my lifetime. My recent visit to the North Rim was my first there.

To the OP, I agree with Skiingfast about seeing as much of the west as possible and especially trying to see Yellowstone, Grand Tetons. If you don't want to go so far north, then I think you should look into making your way over to Yosemite and northern California.

As surprising as this may sound, not everybody who lives in Arizona has been to the Grand Canyon. In fact, it's a bit of a haul from southern Arizona. I have lived in Arizona for 40+ years and have only been 4 times in my lifetime. My recent visit to the North Rim was my first there.

I understand. Many people don't see the sites near them, unless they have family or friends stop over and go with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter