Votes: 21 21.9%
  • AKL

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • SSR

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

KeithSS

Mouseketeer
Ok so one of my best friends wants to buy into DVC. He is thinking of buying 150 points just to get his foot in the door. Will most likely be going every other year. He has a family of 5 and most likely will be doing 2 bedrooms with the occasional trip here and there of small er rooms if not everyone is going. He was going to just rent out points this year for his trip in DEC, but decided he would rather put the $$ towards buying points. So because of the looming dec trip as well as ease of purchase he wants to buy direct. He is asking me which resort to buy into. Location isn't a huge deal to him one way or another. 2042 resorts are out, not enough time left on the deed. The only resort he said he didn't like the location of was AKL because of how far away it was. He will primarily use the points at OKW as it has the low points charts, largest rooms and he loves the laid back vibe of it. But with the price increase, dues prices and pretty much always availability it doesn't make much sense to buy there IMO. HE was thinking of buying VGF but the fact that he wouldn't get 2021 points is kind of a deal breaker because he wouldn't have enough to do his dec trip this year. So he and I were talking about it and with the incentives Riviera is the best deal. Longest term, cheapest price per point and if he wants to ever stay at Riv he will have the 11 mo window, but if not he can pretty much always get OKW. The other resorts under consideration is CCV. But its more $$ per point and no incentives. So jus thought I would throw it out to the experts and see what everyone else's thoughts were. I was leaning towards agreeing with him about Riviera being the best bang for the buck in his situation

Unfortunately, I think that there are WAY too many unknown variables to give your friend any informed advice.

Now, if you're asking what I, MYSELF would pick for a first resort if I were to do it over again, it would be between VGF, AKV, and RIV. I chose RIV when I bought in a few years ago over AKV, mostly because, when the numbers were penciled-out, it was objectively the better choice. I'm not sure that would be the case now considering VGF2 (just because I haven't looked into it), but we are still happy with RIV.

I voted BLT - mostly due to Std room points versus RIV…for Dec 2023, RIV 2Br Std is 341 points while BLT is 306 for a week…plus the extra bathroom is going to be great when kids want to bring their friends. We also traditionally do whatever Halloween and Christmas event is being offered - walking back to the resort beats any other transportation option…same with fireworks.

Since he doesn't want AKL I'd choose BLT. I think the dues there are pretty low comparatively and they have the extra bathroom. Riviera is a decent choice otherwise but the point charts to stay there are so high and the maintenance fees are also pretty high. BLT is pretty costly right now so RIV is probably the best choice to get the 2021 points.

I would vote AKL
It’s really not that far out - beautiful DVC - lots of rooms - two bathrooms - animals -
Riveria is a beautiful DVC / it’s got a lot going for it and a good price
BLT is getting so if you don’t own you can’t always get a room there - also a favorite of mine - monorail / walk to Magic Kingdom / two bathrooms !!

But always go with - BUY where you want to stay !
Good Luck making your decision it’s hard / they all have great things going for them !!

At 207 a point VDF is the no brainer to me if you are doing direct. If not I would probably do SSR.

If December is going to be the typical month of travel (which wasn't mentioned), I vote CCV
Yes typically late fall early winter would be the travel times. His work is landscaping co is crazy from about march to about Oct. so nov-Feb would be the typical time

Yes typically late fall early winter would be the travel times. His work is landscaping co is crazy from about march to about Oct. so nov-Feb would be the typical time
If travel is most likely November to February, an October UY would be best. If a reservation needed to be cancelled, there would be plenty of time to reschedule before the end of the UY or to bank points before the deadline.

I don't see why he wants to buy direct at all. That's really important in this discussion. If he plans to hold this forever, that's different than selling in 7 years when everyone is in college. Resale is SOO much cheaper, and OKW is much less buyin cost than RIV. And, if you change your mind, resale seems like a lot less commitment to me than RIV. No one knows what the RIV resale restrictions will do in the long term. I would much rather be reselling a cheap OKW contract than RIV in five years.

The OKW 2BR is currently wide open for December, which could be booked with any points in a couple months. That matches the resale timeline.

Even OKW 2BR is about 40 points a night, at Christmas about 60. 150 points isn't going to go far. This plan, especially buying direct, doesn't seem to achieve any of the stated goals.

There are many rooms and categories in OKW that require OKW points. OKW has special booking categories for a reason, and they do book up.

For straight SAP value, my pick would be BLT resale right now. I think it has room to grow, and its good a good chart and point cost compared to the rest of the monorail. Or Poly resale, if you think Poly tower will be in the same association.

Another advantage of buying resale, is you could buy with banked points and use those for the immediate trip.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't recommend RIV because the points per night are high, which offsets the longer length contract. Ditto GFV. Copper Creak is cool with a longer length contract but the walls are THIN, so something to think about. If he's considering OKW, he should look at SSR because it has more pools and is a walk to the Springs, which his kids as they age will find more useful then the parks.

My selection for a family of 5 is BLT. Its a walk to MK with average dues, lower point villas, extra bathroom and longer contract. The only downer is the studio villas but he's not staying in them.

I don't see why he wants to buy direct at all. That's really important in this discussion. If he plans to hold this forever, that's different than selling in 7 years when everyone is in college. Resale is SOO much cheaper, and OKW is much less buyin cost than RIV. And, if you change your mind, resale seems like a lot less commitment to me than RIV. No one knows what the RIV resale restrictions will do in the long term. I would much rather be reselling a cheap OKW contract than RIV in five years.

The OKW 2BR is currently wide open for December, which could be booked with any points in a couple months. That matches the resale timeline.

Even OKW 2BR is about 40 points a night, at Christmas about 60. 150 points isn't going to go far. This plan, especially buying direct, doesn't seem to achieve any of the stated goals.

There are many rooms and categories in OKW that require OKW points. OKW has special booking categories for a reason, and they do book up.

For straight SAP value, my pick would be BLT resale right now. I think it has room to grow, and its good a good chart and point cost compared to the rest of the monorail. Or Poly resale, if you think Poly tower will be in the same association.

Another advantage of buying resale, is you could buy with banked points and use those for the immediate trip.
Well he want to buy direct because he doesn't want to wait for resale ROFR and the $$ difference doesn't matter to him. Plus he also wants to be able to use his points at Riv if he wants to. He plans on going every other year for a week so 150 points would achieve that goal. As far as selling it, he's planning on holding onto it and passing it down to the kids, but you never know what could happen. He certainly knows the value of a $$, but his time is even more valuable than that. So basically, I was just trying to help him determine the best value for his home resort for a direct point purchase. Resale is not an option for him in his eyes. He doesn't care how much more it is, he just doesn't want to wait for it. I can't help but think as far as term vs $$ per point and the ability to get double points right out of the gate, that Riv is probably the best "deal". Hard to pay OKW prices even if he plans on staying there most of the time when you can get Riv points cheaper per point and have a longer term on the deed. Also would be more valuable to rent out if that need arised.

Well he want to buy direct because he doesn't want to wait for resale ROFR and the $$ difference doesn't matter to him. Plus he also wants to be able to use his points at Riv if he wants to. He plans on going every other year for a week so 150 points would achieve that goal. As far as selling it, he's planning on holding onto it and passing it down to the kids, but you never know what could happen. He certainly knows the value of a $$, but his time is even more valuable than that. So basically, I was just trying to help him determine the best value for his home resort for a direct point purchase. Resale is not an option for him in his eyes. He doesn't care how much more it is, he just doesn't want to wait for it. I can't help but think as far as term vs $$ per point and the ability to get double points right out of the gate, that Riv is probably the best "deal". Hard to pay OKW prices even if he plans on staying there most of the time when you can get Riv points cheaper per point and have a longer term on the deed. Also would be more valuable to rent out if that need arised.
buying 150 OKW points is 200 per point where 150 Riviera is 201 per point. You can get 2021 points at both places as long as he selects June or later use year. So the biggest difference would be the 2057 end date vs. 2070. You'd have to look at annual dues and see which one is a better deal for that too (I'm pretty sure OKW is cheaper).

Makes sense. The RIV point charts only really plays a big role if you are going to stay there all the time. The only thing with OKW is the GV. Those are really cheap and I believe you need to own there for those so that might be one reason to lean that way.

But, in the end, I do think the savings on RIV…not to mention OKW has higher MFs….works out for him as OKW is a good one for 7 month bookings.

A bunch to unpack in this situation:
He is thinking of buying 150 points just to get his foot in the door.
"Buying X to start" is not the best way to go about it. Instead where you want to stay, how often, and what room type is what will dictate what you start with.

The exception to this is "I want to buy DVC but can only afford $xx,xxx" at which point you start with that.

going every other year.

There is more "risk" but is fairly manageable. It is important though to know that you can simply say "nah lets wait until year 3". It locks you in to the trip so they need to be aware of that and if thats not for them they should just look to rent.

doing 2 bedrooms

How long are the trips though? 2 Bedroom depending on the resort can very wildly in cost depending on when and how long (I guess normally December).

Also December the first 2 weeks vs the last 2 weeks (which I suspect they are targeting with having kids) you are looking at a massive swing.

Dec 1-8:
VGF 387/458
RIV 341/409
CCV 299
AKV 238/310

Dec 24-31:
VGF 641/759
RIV 565/646
CCV 464
AKV 395/502

trip in DEC

Depending on when and if they are okay with split stays you might be able to piece something together but December is one of the busiest times of the year for DVC.

he wants to buy direct

This is likely smart if they really want to stay this year on points. Now that being said I would do the math possibly. Could they book a Cash hotel, buy resale, and then take a chance they could still piece something together? You can get 5 people in some 1 bedrooms which might be easier to get and piece together (but again split stay will be a thing).

Location isn't a huge deal to him one way or another.

How much have they been to Disney though? It sounds great "hey I can be anywhere because I am at WDW" but in reality being able to quickly get to the parks is a major advantage.

Additionally waiting for busses can be a huge time suck with no real predictability. Do they understand at OKW you have to take the bus throughout the resort and its fairly spread out?

This is another reason why I might say rent this year, stay at OKW to try it out, and then if it went great look to buy resale and have plenty of time to buy resale before your next stay.

Separately I voted RIV for the following reasons:
  • Attached to 2 parks that as kids age will be great locations (Rollercoaster and festivals in Epcot vs other "big kids" rides in HS)
  • Bigger rooms: RIV has some of the largest rooms in Disney
  • 1BR easily sleeps 5 and no wait on a refurb to get the pull down murphy beds if they down size
  • RIV direct price has incentives making it one of the lowest priced 150 point contracts
  • Better point chart than VGF so the points will go further

Downside if they sell no good idea still what resale will be in the long run. So far the resale is doing fairly well and in line with other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter