Trying to get up the courage for Everest

Once we went to AK just to ride EE! Hopped in and out quickly!

Overall, I agree with previous posters that it's not really more intense than BTMRR. I think EE is a little smother, that makes it less scary in my opinion.

Wow - thank you all so much for your responses! It is nice to know I am not the only person out there who has to talk myself into these things. My first cup of crazy will be Splash Mountain. If I survive that one without a heart attack, then onto Space Mountain. From there I can build up my courage for Barnstormer. EE is on our last day, so hopefully by then, I will be fearless or just say no. Anxiety is a funny thing - you never know when it will kick in. I remember having a panic attack on Dinosaur when I wasn't expecting the T-Rex to come out. I will have to watch a POV on YouTube to get ready for that one, lol. I AM just saying no to TOT & RNRC for now. But maybe, with a little bit of Pixie dust.......

Wow - thank you all so much for your responses! It is nice to know I am not the only person out there who has to talk myself into these things. My first cup of crazy will be Splash Mountain. If I survive that one without a heart attack, then onto Space Mountain. From there I can build up my courage for Barnstormer. EE is on our last day, so hopefully by then, I will be fearless or just say no. Anxiety is a funny thing - you never know when it will kick in. I remember having a panic attack on Dinosaur when I wasn't expecting the T-Rex to come out. I will have to watch a POV on YouTube to get ready for that one, lol. I AM just saying no to TOT & RNRC for now. But maybe, with a little bit of Pixie dust.......
If working your way up is your purpose, I suggest trying Barnstormer before Space Mountain. Barnstormer is a kiddie ride and over in like a minute.

I agree with DiannaVM -- I'd do Barnstormer before Space if what you're trying to do is "work up" to EE. And if you do ok on Space, you should have no trouble on EE. I completely understand the unexpected appearance of anxiety. I'm dealing with that today...for no apparent reason. Usually when I have anxiety issues, with a bit of thought and self-reflection I can figure out the cause and deal with it. Today...can't figure it out. I'm at the point where I think I'm just going to have to take an Ativan and then take a nap and hopefully I'll be more relaxed when I wake up.

I think what I like about everest is the slow build up. A big part of the ride is quite slow and enjoyable. It doesn't explode right off the bat the same way as SM does. My 8 year girls loves Everest but hates SM. She also wan't a big fan of Tower of Terror. But if heights is the issue rather than speed than Everest may pose a bit of a challenge.

Everest is one of my absolute favorite rides. The theme of the ride, the great views, the thrill. I think it is Disney at it's finest. But it can be intense. Even though I love it, the backwards part gets me every so often. I just keep my head back and go with it.

I do suggest riding closer to the front. I find the back to be quite a bit rougher. When were at AK in January, we rode it numerous times back to forth. The front is certainly better.

Give it a try at least once...You can brave the Yeti!

I love BTMRR and even Space Mtn. Can you compare Everest to these?

Everest is a longer 7DMT mixed with the dark room aspect of space mountain. The part you can see from the outside looking at it is kind of a drop. It's very smooth, it's steeper than BTMRR and higher up but if you like the quick drops that does you should really enjoy this ride...

the one thing to mention, part of it does go backwards but it's in a dark room, not much different than space mountain where you can't tell what's going to happen next but it's not jerky like space mountain. It's a normal lap bar restraint so it's not doing anything insane.

I am a ride chicken too. I did SM for the first time as an adult in March. It was rather wussy. I was going to try EE, but DH and DS were riding and it was raining. I just held everything like a pack mule, and they got soaked. I don't like getting wet. I didn't do RNRC either, because I really wanted to take some pics while DH and DS rode. I think next trip in July I will try at least one of these. TOT will probably be out for me, because I hate big drops, and that's all that ride is. Big drops tend to make my food revisit:( You just have to tell yourself that it's going to happen, breathe, and relax while in line. What's the worst thing that could happen? You could die, but that could happen in the car on the way to WDW and still get in cars, right;)

I used to be a terrible ride chicken, and then my husband said, "Just get on the damn ride - it's not going to kill you!"

He was 100% right.

EE isn't that much more intense than BTMRR. It's way more fun than Space Mountain.

I wish that would work on my husband, lol. We have the opposite problem in my house. He loves BTMRR, but anything more intense and I'm riding solo. It's something I can never understand as a thrill junkie, because I know EE is still pretty tame. He just sees the "big" drop and panics even though I tell him it's just a slightly bigger big thunder.

*sigh* oh well... more fun for me?

I would call BTMRR more insense. it rocks around, you slide side to side, it has some really fast drops.. EE is just taller and a little faster but much smoother.

True, it is much smoother. I guess appearances are everything.

I LOVE EE. I can ride that over and over again. Its my favorite thrill ride in Disney.

True, it is much smoother. I guess appearances are everything.
It is the height. It looks terrifying to me! I don't like heights. Maybe that is why I can tolerate Space Mountain because you can't see how high you are! :)

I hate heights too but I love EE. It goes so fast you don't have to worry about it. It is so much fun.

I'm a ride chicken too. I like BTM and am ok with Splash. I didn't like Space Mtn because it was rough (before the refurb a few years ago). I chickened out of EE at the last minute on our last trip and am determined to do it this year. I have watched it on youtube a few times, and I count the backwards part at 20 seconds. I can do it that long!

To be honest BTMRR is less intense than EE. Yes EE might be smoother but on BTMRR you don't get g forces and the drops are much shorter. If you don't like g force feeling. The ride intensity does vary on the seat you are in choose the middle for a milder ride. It really isn't that bad the worst part for me is the g force feeling and that last a couple of seconds and then you are good. Believe me you won't be able to see the drop until after you are done with it just seat in the middle.

I can also be a bit of a chicken when it comes to drops. I rode ToT and it didn't sit well with me. Love RnRC since its so very smooth. Everest had me so worried for some reason and I have to say it's one of my favorite rides. It's just- fun. The drops are just enough to make it thrilling but not scary.

To be honest BTMRR is less intense than EE. Yes EE might be smoother but on BTMRR you don't get g forces and the drops are much shorter. If you don't like g force feeling. The ride intensity does vary on the seat you are in choose the middle for a milder ride. It really isn't that bad the worst part for me is the g force feeling and that last a couple of seconds and then you are good. Believe me you won't be able to see the drop until after you are done with it just seat in the middle.
This is very true though. That drop comes right out of a dark mountain and is difficult to anticipate.

To me Space Mountain is worse and its just because its so jerky and I don't have the best back. BUt really Everest is a tame ride.
I agree about Space it is so jerky and there is something about the way the coaster seats are designed. You sit so high up with your knees close to your chest unlike other coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter