• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

?Trying to figure out the benefits to DVC ownership?

Mercy

<font color="blue">never been tagged ... until now
I've been reading about DVC ownership and am trying to figure out the benefits. It seems to me you end up spending more in the long run to vacation at the World. Maybe I'm wrong... I know there is a downpayment then the monthly payments, plus a membership fee. Anyway could someone explain the cost benefits?

I'll try to give you my take on this subject and I'm sure other members will give their comments. I look at DVC as a pre-paid vacation, period. Because we are financing, our "break even" point will probably take longer than those who paid cash.

Hilton Head is our home resort and staying off season as we probably will end up doing after DS graduates from high school, we can probably stay in a 2 bedroom for much less than we are paying in annual dues and yearly mortgage payments BUT that will not be the case always. Disney resort prices increase each year but by buying into DVC I lock in today's prices so that even 20 years from now (way after my mortgage has been paid off) I'll be paying 2001 prices but what will a 2 bedroom at Hilton Head cost per night in November (or the dreaded summertime which is Hilton Head's "high season")?

There are cheaper vacations than Disney that's for sure. But for my family we like staying in the deluxe resorts and before we joined we usually stayed in the Epcot resort area and we've stayed at the Grand Floridian and enjoyed that. Anyway, our home resort blows even the Grand Floridian rooms away! There is nothing like a spacious two bedroom accommodation with a jacuzzi tub and the ability to make a quick meal or wash a load of clothes if you like. You truly feel like you are at home and that for me and my family is priceless.

Again, I am sure others have better insights than me and of course DVC is not for everyone but I am glad it fits in nicely with me and my family and our vacation needs.

Lisa

Hi Mercy, we've recently returned from a vacation at OKW resort and just loved the place. We went via a price on Expedia and my goodness we were shocked to tell you the truth! We never imagined Disney's OLD KEY WEST to be such a beautiful, peaceful, wonderful resort!

Does it sound like we're hooked? Of course! However, we took the DVC tour and to tell you the truth we just couldn't justify the money even though it's for the next 40 years.

See, what he helped me realize, is that while we love Disney World right now and always have, the idea of vacationing there every single year or even every other year might not always be feasible (over the next 40 YEARS), now keeping that in mind, it doesn't seem like you get as much bang for your buck when you stay elsewhere than your home resort (i.e., using points in other states etc). That's what we surmized.

Then we took a look at all the resales out there now, and it we were to buy, we'd want to buy one of those at OKW after viewing the tour of the BWV and WLV those rooms are the absolute tiny'iest rooms you could ever dream of! The studious I think might be about the same, but the 1-bedroom units are nothing but SMALL!

We also realized that when this first began when there were 50 years on the contract the prices were much lower like at around 50 or 51 per point. Now they want $58 for resale (the supposed bottom line) and it just seems like it's too much money compiled with the dues each year.

I think what you'll gather is that if you are happy to stay at the value resorts or the moderates you are better off not buying into the DVC program, however if you really like the deluxe resorts or the home away from home types then you might consider the DVC.

I will say this, everyone I talked to at the resort and I just started reading these boards, it seems that in past posts everyone here that is members seem terribly happy with their decisions! And that's grand!! Just do some homework and read read read read. Good luck to you and yours.

Much of the cost benefit is directly related to how often you will travel to WDW. As long as you will go at least every other year, you will be $$ ahead with the DVC program. As many of us on this board have discovered, once we became members, our number of visits increased.

DVC membership costs will compare favorably with moderate and deluxe resort expenses at WDW. Some who prefer value or offsite resorts will not find the same cost benefit. One added plus is that all DVC accommodations have a kitchen facility, which allows for some cost savings on meals, if desired. Many will enjoy breakfast and lunch items even if they dine at WDW restaurants for many meals.

All DVC rooms are as large as regular resort rooms at WDW deluxe resorts and much larger than those in moderate or value resorts. 1BR and larger villas begin at about 3 times the size of other resort rooms. The space is luxurious at all DVC resorts.

Depending on how many days you will use the resorts, your "break-even" point could be within 7-8 years. DVC is more of a prepaid vacation plan- with vacations for another 40 years.

If you have any specific questions about costs and amenities, please ask here.

Enjoy!

The past two years have been highly unusual in the amount of discounts available at WDW. This can make the reasoning process a little more complicated. Prior to this, resort rates rose at about 6% per year and discounts of more than 10-20% were pretty much unheard of. My expectation is that we will return to this level within the next year or so....just like I expect the stock market to perk up again as well.

Overall, even buying in now, I would expect over time for someone to see substantial savings over staying in a deluxe or home away from home and to also see savings over staying in a moderate. In addition, you have much more luxurious accomodations than any hotel room.

Your costs are the initial purchase price plus yearly dues. You can opt to pay the dues on a monthly basis or all at once in January of each year. Dues are different for each resort, but are roughly in the $3.00-$4.00 range. They have increased very little over the last 5 years.

Actually, we calculate the savings of DVC to be at least 50% on the room costs & an additional 60-70% savings on the costs of eating out....

Lets take a look at our next vacation for instance.... We are going November 19-29th, 2002... the vacation is "costing" us 240 points. We are staying at BWV's in a standard view... By the way, these units are NOT tiny at all... They are at least 750 square feet... Try finding a value or moderate resort (or even a deluxe) half that size... You can't...

Anyways, because of when we bought a few years ago, and paying cash for the purchase, I calculate our costs to be 5.50 per point (current cash buyers granted would be a bit higher, but not by much)...

Anyways our 10 nights is "costing" us 240 points multiplied by our cost basis of 5.50/point, for a total cost of 1320.00....

Now, if paying cash, it would be 385.00/night times 10 nights for a total of 3850, plus tax would be 4273.50.... Let's take the best case scenario, you can get a 40% discount... That would still make your cost 2564.10... So even if you use the BEST CASE scenario the cash rate is nearly DOUBLE my cost....

Savings are even greater on a studio, but most of us like to have the full kitchen/washer dryer & whirlpool tub.... Once you've stayed in a 1 bedroom, you'll not want to stay in a studio....

This is an example of our next vacation over Thanksgiving week, if we were going in September, early December (like we just did) & January, the savings are even greater....

Not to mention we get to Pool Hop, that's fun for our family!!

Reall , the larger units show the savings more quickly. We spend 10-12 nights in the OKW Grand Villa every year. Our dues are around $1400. That room rents for around $1000 per night, we are staying in it for a little over $100 per night. Our DVC purchase break even was during our first stay, the rest has been gravy.

There is no doubt at all that staying in one bedroom or larger units through DVC provides a VERY substantial savings.

We are only a family of three, we really don't need the space of the Grand Villa, but it allows us to invite friends and family, often its family that lives very far away and we wouldn't otherwise get to see. It also allows us to bring family that might not otherwise be able to afford such a vacation.

I agree, the units at BWV and VWL are TINY. You can't even really have a meal in a two bedroom unit, there is no place to sit. Many people think that the location of the BWV, the hotel atmosphere, and the boardwalk area itself make up for dealing with the tiny units, the higher points schedule and the dramatically higher dues.......but at least you get exercise, there is nothing more invigorating than the 1.2 mile trek to your room after a day in the parks.

First off, DVC is not for everyone.

Many people don't like the idea locking in vacation plans for the next 40 years. They also don't like the fact that DVC normally requires advance planning.

What sold us on DVC was the idea of pre-paying for 40 years of vacations. Once we finish going on one vacation, we start planning the next. I know now that we will vacation every year. I really think that planning for the vacation is half the fun.

Many people will say "Walt Disney World again...didn't you go last year?". My response has become pretty standard...February in Minnesota - Cold, February in Florida - Warm.

We also like the flexiablity of DVC. Last year we used some of our points to stay two nights at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We are also planning on using our points to go to Hawaii in a couple of years.

As Caverill stated many people don't like the idea of going to the same place every year. My family, on the other hand, can think of no other place we would rather go each year than to WDW. Before buying into the DVC, we would go to WDW and stay at the Poly (which we love and still stay occasionally) at least 10 days each year. At 200+ each night it doesn't take long to add up. Buying into DVC was a no brainer because we know we were going to spend that money at WDW each year anyway. Just in a few years the DVC was paid for. What will a room at the Poly cost 20 years from now? For us the DVCwas super deal. For those who stay at the AS or the local Days Inn it would not pay for itself.

Also, value is relative...there are no absolutes.

I think what really matters most is "value for your vacation dollar" over the next 40 years. The DVC product allows you to enjoy Disney, but the flexibility feature delivers over 300 high-end resorts through exchanges. I've only owned since '99, but I am certain that we will recognized our "value" in the next 2-3 years.

:rolleyes: In my opinion the Disney Vacation Club is a great value for people who go to Disney every year and LOVE Disney. If Disney is just another vacation for you it probably is not a good investment. I have recently purchased into the DVC and didn't do so in order to save money. We did it because we go at least twice a year and will always love Disney even when the kids are grown. There are a lot of beautiful resorts in Orlando that are close to Disney but not in Disney. We just feel more magic IN Disney... I will say one more thing...the DVC can be a huge savings if you choose not to use your points on Fridays and Saturdays. I hope I have helped you.

We puchased after going down and seeing OKW in 96 when my sister (DVC member) invited the whole family down. We stayed in a Grand Villa. Once we experienced the 1st class accomodations,service,, advantage of being on property,etc, we decided (after 2 yrs of debating) to buy into DVC. So did 2 of my brothers and sisters. So 4 members of my family are DVC members. We all live in the cold, and snowy NE.
(Ohio,Pa) so we look forward every yr to going down at least twice a yr.The DVC is not cheap, but you "get what you pay for".

Between the 4 familes we have about 1200 pts.So every other yr we all get together in 2 GV's for 6 nites. You can't put a "price tag"
on, "memories,good times",etc. The DVC , "if you can afford it" is well worth every penny. Also our children, and their children, will always have the DVC membership, and the memories to go with it. The bottom line is, you only go through life "once", and live every day to its fullest, money and materialistic things are not that important, in the scheme of things. And I am sure more people after 9/11 are starting to realize this.
:)

The value is deluxe accompdations at mid prices. Well no the real value is knowing you get to go back agian and again.

When I bought, I didn't first look at the dollar value vs a regular hotel room. I stayed in a 2 bedroom at OKW with 3 other member friends and fell in love with the luxurious accomodations, the full kitchen & living room, the big master bedroom & huge bathroom. With 2 or 3 of us usually going, we would only need a 1 bedroom, but I sure didn't want to pay $400 a night regular rate. So that's why I bought DVC. We stayed at the Beach Club in 1998 and I fell in love with the whole Boardwalk area, so that's why I bought Boardwalk. I wanted to alternate trips between OKW & BWV, at the time BWV was all DVC was selling direct and it was hard to get a reservation there at 7 months or less, so I bought at BWV. So the last 2 years we did May at OKW and early December at BWV and loved each trip. A 1 bedroom at BWV may seem tiny compared to OKW but when you compare it to a regular hotel room, even deluxe, it's huge. One of the things that swayed me to DVC was also the fact that there is a big resale market and if I had to I could sell it pretty easy. After this last trip I figured the 4 trips in the past 2 years would have cost almost $10,000 at rack rate (all 1 bedrooms). I paid $14,750 for DVC (after Magical Beginnings) and about $2,000 in dues for 2 years, so I think it's worth it with 40 more years of vacations to go!

Hi! I have been wondering about DVC, also. Are the points needed to stay at your home resort "fixed", i.e. if it costs 16 points for a weekday stay in Jan of 2001 and you buy in during 2001, then do you forever get a January weekday stay for 16 points? Do the points needed never increase?

When we stayed at the BWV, we had a nearly full kitchen trashcan every day. If there is no maid service, do members have someplace to take their trash? (I know that's kind of silly, but I have wondered..)

The points needed for a weekend stay seem a bit much (OK, far too much). In order to get "the good" out of the points one could only stay Sunday through Thursday nights. This would demand splitting resorts, paying cash for weekend nights, or taking more than one trip per year in order to take a lengthy vacation while getting max use of one's points. "Having" to take more than one trip to WDW in order to make good use of points seems like it would negate the purpose of saving money by buying in the first place, yet 40 something plus points for a weekend night is absurd.

I know that the current cash discounts are abnormal, but who knows how long they will continue? I just paid $1215 for a standard view 1- bedroom unit at BWV Sat-Thurs, Dec. 15-20. That included daily maid service. Had I been a DVC member, then that trip would have cost me around 114 points, I would not have gotten maid service, and (assuming I had had to purchase 150 points) it would have cost me just under $600 in dues alone.

Had I stayed Sat-Fri, then I would have used 132 points. That would have used up the majority of my points for the 6 nights. I would have paid $1458 in cash or used 132 points and around $600 in dues.

I am really trying to sort all this out in my mind to see if it would be a good deal for us. We love WDW and would be happy to visit once a year or more forever. :)

One way to think of the point requirements is by the week. While some members do avoid weekends like the plague, most look at it as a week stay. They needed to do that because of the danger of locals taking up all the weekends, making it impossible to reserve a full week.

I do try to minimize weekends, arrive on Sunday and leave a week from the following Friday, this way I only have one weekend in a 12 night stay. I really think that you need to make a decision based on a full week or more of a stay. There is the possibility that DVC could even out the difference between the days. This could leave someone only planning weekdays not able to take the vacation they planned on.

If you do some analysis looking at full week stays, the savings are quite good, very easily seen in one bedroom and larger units.

Idon't really saty at BWV, the rooms are too small, so I am not sure what you do with full garbage.

Richyams, Thanks for the quick response! What does one do with the garbage at OKW? ;)

When we stayed at the BWV, we had a nearly full kitchen trashcan every day. If there is no maid service, do members have someplace to take their trash? (I know that's kind of silly, but I have wondered..)

There is at least one trash room on every floor where they have dumpsters to empty trash. We stayed on 4100 last year and it was right around the corner, I'm sure there has to be another one on the other side of the floor.

At OKW, there are trash closets at the bottom of the steps in each building.

I'd say the trash options are equal. :)

We just bought a couple of DVC resales and gave it much thought and analysis. Bottom line is, if you will be vacationing at WDW once a year (or even once every other year) and would be staying in a moderate hotel or better, you will save money by buying DVC.

I figure our breakeven at 9 to 13 years (depending on what kind of discounts we would have gotten had we not done DVC and paid cash for hotels) and during that time we'll be in nicer accomodations than if we didn't do DVC. After that breakeven point the cost of dues will be much less than the comparable cash cost of renting rooms.

We love WDW, have gone 1 - 2 times a year for the last 10 plus years and see no reason to change that - so for us it makes sense. It all depends on where you plan on spending your vacation time.

You are doing the right thing :). Read as much as you can, look at the numbers from every angle, and make an informed decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter