• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying to explain the Disney "magic"

PixyDst

Earning My Ears
Do you ever find yourself trying to explain the magic of Disney to someone who is not a Disney person? I mentioned to someone at work that I am going on my honeymoon to WDW, and they just gave me that "oh honey" look. "You're going to be 'those people' on their honeymoon around all those kids? Whatever floats your boat!"

Ugh. It makes me sad when people don't understand how magical Disney is to others. :smickey:

You can't. Its like trying to describe an elephant to a blind man, as the saying goes. So I don't even try. If you feel the magic, that's enough.

Disneyholics have to remember that for many people Disney is not magical. And they are not wrong either. For them.

Why explain? Why would it make you sad? Some people would rather be hiking, golfing, on a beach, in museums, fishing, hunting, sailing, etc., etc., etc.

How would you react if a colleague told you about their upcoming two-week, fly in to a remote cabin in the Canadian wilderness and told you they felt sad for you when you admitted that's not your cup of tea?

I tried last night to one of my friends, who knows I'm a Disney nut. Yeah... no. But hey, everyone is different. I just smile and shrug. I usually just do that anyway.

Do you ever find yourself trying to explain the magic of Disney to someone who is not a Disney person? I mentioned to someone at work that I am going on my honeymoon to WDW, and they just gave me that "oh honey" look. "You're going to be 'those people' on their honeymoon around all those kids? Whatever floats your boat!"

Ugh. It makes me sad when people don't understand how magical Disney is to others. :smickey:
Ugh. It makes me sad when people don't understand that some people just don't care all that much about Disney, that they have other places that is their "magic."

Actually, I really don't care. Everybody has their happy place. For some it is Disney. Give me a choice of Disney or Ka'anapali Beach and I will take the beach any day. I try to respect everybody's choices..

You just smile and say - It's your home away from home. or It's your second home. or my favorite is- It's really a lot more fun going to WDW without kids.

Why explain? Why would it make you sad? Some people would rather be hiking, golfing, on a beach, in museums, fishing, hunting, sailing, etc., etc., etc.

How would you react if a colleague told you about their upcoming two-week, fly in to a remote cabin in the Canadian wilderness and told you they felt sad for you when you admitted that's not your cup of tea?
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I have dealt with that for years at work. (And, it is just dh and myself, we're middle aged, no kids.)

They'll never understand how much I love Disney!

I don't even try. "You struggle to pay for Disney," I get that a lot. But I'd struggle to pay to go anywhere so I might as well go where I love.

I bet it's not a problem for most of us, really.
I think it becomes one when you have someone who talks too much about Disney or tries to persuade others how wonderful it is!
It's the extreme Disney lovers or ones who are too sensitive that seem to take offense.
My friends will roll their eyes sonetimes and say - good lord Laura! You're going again!? Try somewhere else! (They say the same when we go to Charleston). They really don't mean anything by it - it's just not their cup of tea!
I razz my one friend about camping, another about going to all-inclusive in Mexico every year. I have no desire to try either!
We all have that "one friend" who loves somewhere so much they have to tell you about it nonstop and can't understand why you would not love it as much as they do! I think SOME of us here do this - and not always intentionally - and then get miffed or "sad"when others don't agree.
Don't be that person and maybe you won't get grief over your love of Disney!

Last edited:
I don't even try. "You struggle to pay for Disney," I get that a lot. But I'd struggle to pay to go anywhere so I might as well go where I love.
If you're complaining to your friends on a regular basis of how you can't afford to do things - but then turn around and blow $$ on Disney they are annoyed. And it probably be annoying to hear - regardless of where you go.

If I'm misunderstanding your meaning I apologize.

My mother does not understand why I get a new Unofficial Guide every year or why people even need a guidebook for Disney. I do not understand what is interesting about going to approximately 6000 quilt shops every year.

But: I'll buy her an adjustable quilting stool for Christmas. She'll watch my kids when I go to Disney for a grown-up trip. Everyone does what they love, and everyone is happy, and we'll talk about our favorite TV shows instead!

I think some are taking this question way too seriously OP lol.

I don't particularly love getting all the eye-rolls when I say I'm going to Disney again or how much I love it. I just smile and know I'm super happy to be able to go to my favorite place. It'd be too much wasted effort for me to try and change their minds haha.

It's funny, the same people who come to me for disney trip planning advice, are the same people who looked at me like I'm immature for liking it in the first place. They say, 'whatever makes you happy' but then give me looks like 'silly little girl.' I just keep my stories to a minimum and and say things like 'I'm going to Florida' in stead of 'I'm going to disney, again.' Disney is my happy place. But I get that it isn't for everyone. Just say it's your idea of fun, and leave it at that. They'll either find the magic, or they won't.

And enjoy your honeymoon!

If you're complaining to your friends on a regular basis of how you can't afford to do things - but then turn around and blow $$ on Disney they are annoyed. And it probably be annoying to hear - regardless of where you go.

If I'm misunderstanding your meaning I apologize.

Oh gosh no! It's just that everyone around me knows I'm semi-disabled and on a fixed income. They know a trip to Disney is hard for me to pull off, is all. I don't complain about it-if anything they get annoyed at my wanting to talk about WDW in a happy way all the time! 8-)

I don't put myself out and not get the necessities of life, but they all know I have to save for a year before I even book the trip.

I think some are taking this question way too seriously OP lol.

I don't particularly love getting all the eye-rolls when I say I'm going to Disney again or how much I love it. I just smile and know I'm super happy to be able to go to my favorite place. It'd be too much wasted effort for me to try and change their minds haha.
:thumbsup2 Just like it would be wasted effort for somebody who loves a great ski vacation to change your mind.

You (general you) have to put yourself in the other person's shoes. Can you be persuaded that Disney is not the best place to vacation? No. So why would anybody think that they could persuade somebody else to change their dream vacation?

OP - don't feel sad for those of us who think Disney is just another business operation, enjoyable, but not this wonderous magical place. We have our own happy places that you would not understand.

Last edited:
:thumbsup2 :banana:Just like it would be wasted effort for somebody who loves a great ski vacation to change your mind.

You (general you) have to put yourself in the other person's shoes. Can you be persuaded that Disney is not the best place to vacation? No. So why would anybody think that they could persuade somebody else to change their dream vacation?

OP - don't feel sad for those of us who think Disney is just another business operation, enjoyable, but not this wonderous magical place. We have our own happy places that you would not understand.

I wouldn't be trying to change their minds about loving disney. I'd be trying to change their minds when they roll their eyes and make patronizing remarks about my vacation. Basically I want them to believe exactly what you said! That everyone has their special place and no place is better than another. Honestly I love vacationing anywhere and when people tell me their dream vacation destination I'm hoping they'll take me with them lol.

Oh gosh no! It's just that everyone around me knows I'm semi-disabled and on a fixed income. They know a trip to Disney is hard for me to pull off, is all. I don't complain about it-if anything they get annoyed at my wanting to talk about WDW in a happy way all the time! 8-)

I don't put myself out and not get the necessities of life, but they all know I have to save for a year before I even book the trip.
I totally misunderstood your post and I'm very, sorry.
You explained yourself more nicely than I derserve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter