Trying to decide.

JPSabq

Earning My Ears
Many years ago my wife convinced me to take my then seven year old daughter to Disney world. I was reluctant to say the least but in the interest of being a good dad I agreed. It was love at first sight, We went eight years in a row always staying on property. We stayed in moderate to deluxe resorts, our favorite was the Yacht club for it proximity to Epcot. When my daughter got a bit older we transitioned to cruising. Now she is grown-up and in the military, I am sick and tired of cruising and would like to try an adult only Disney trip with just the wife and I. Please help me convince my wife to try D.W. again. Also, I am now disabled due to having M.S. I can walk with forearm crutches for long distances. How is Disney world with a disability? Thanks for your indulgence. J.S.

I wold go I love going and I am an adult and I go with no kids. Disney is very assessable for people with all kinds of disabilities you are going to have a great time.

Disney World is very accessible.
It is important to realize that the long distances you are used to walking are probably very small compared to the distances walked in a day at WDW.
Most people walk between 5 and 8 miles a day. There may be shorter days, with only 3 or so, but the average is probably going yo be around 5.

Renting an ECV (motorized scooter) is a good way to conserve energy. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread and look in post 2 for more info.

I don't have MS, but am considered a mobility guest. We do Disneyland every year, and have a blast.. I use a cane, but I'm thinking depending on how far advanced your MS is I would recommend either a wheelchair or an ECV . It should help in reducing fatigue, and pain.

I still go with my 11 yr old son, but love nothing more than to leave him with his dad and just wonder around at my own pace, do my own ride etc and meet up with them later.. if you cant convince your wife to go with you. I'm available.. :rotfl2:

Disney World is very accessible.
It is important to realize that the long distances you are used to walking are probably very small compared to the distances walked in a day at WDW.
Most people walk between 5 and 8 miles a day. There may be shorter days, with only 3 or so, but the average is probably going yo be around 5.

Renting an ECV (motorized scooter) is a good way to conserve energy. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread and look in post 2 for more info.
Sorry Sue but disney world is only accessible to people with diabilities if you travel with other people if you travel solo it sucks and even 1 year after making a complaint nothing was done. I have a illness caused by 9/11 and have mobility issues and half of the boardwalk I can't access if there is not a kind stranger to help me disney might be great but if you travel solo it sucks

@JPSabq

Our traveling party is typically made up exclusively of adults - and we have no end of fun on every trip! I tell friends and family who think I'm crazy for going to WDW as an adult that it's the only place in the world where I get to act my shoe size and forget my age!

The wonder and Magic are still there for us adults, I promise! And the great thing about going without kiddos tagging along is that you can do things (like spend an entire day going through World Showcase at a leisurely pace, or go to Fireworks Dessert Parties and enjoy an adult beverage) without worrying about little ones tiring out, or getting bored with your more deliberate pace.

I would suggest that you create a list of things you could do together as a couple - don't forget to include a bit of romance! ;) and remember that Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) is now a day-long shopping and dining "experience" of it's own! You can ride water taxis back and forth, and there are so many new restaurants and shops to explore... and you don't have to buy a Park ticket for that!

Pick your favorite Resort - or try a new one - and then rent an ECV, and go have fun! One of the great joys of having adult children is that you get to re-visit those early days of your courtship and marriage before kids; it's great! ;)

Use the SEARCH box that you will find towards the top right of every page here on the DISboards to look for posts with information - there's TONS of advice here on first-time ECV tips, and lots of discussion about who to rent from, and when to have the unit delivered...

Don't forget: if you will be flying in, many airports have long walks between gates and/or concourses. You may want to consider assistance for the airport. You can also bring along a Rollator (which is like a walker with a built in seat) and it will travel for free as medical equipment when you fly.

Good luck! I hope to hear all about your next WDW adventure! :)

Thank you all for your responses, I will use them 5o convince her tbat I might be right. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter