Trying to decide

Hlee

Earning My Ears
With opening day for 2017 starting tomorrow I'm having a really hard time deciding between The Greece and Southeast Asia trips:(
They book look awesome for different reasons. It will be my husband, mine and my 9 year old daughters first trip overseas. Anyone done both these trips that can give me any insight???

I haven't done both trips, sorry! But I did do the Greece trip, and it was fabulous! The favorite of my 6 ABDs so far.

The only comment I can make comparing the two is that the flight to Southeast Asia is a really LONG one, and I'm not sure I'd attempt a trip that long for my very first overseas flight. Greece is pretty far, too, but not nearly as much as Southeast Asia (I did some quick checking from JFK, and the flight to Athens is 10 - 12 hours, vs 20 -22 hours to Saigon. Of course, that would be different if you're flying from the West Coast).

From what I've read of the Southeast Asia Trip Reports, I don't think you could go wrong with either trip. They're both pretty spectacular.

Sayhello

I haven't done both trips, sorry! But I did do the Greece trip, and it was fabulous! The favorite of my 6 ABDs so far.

The only comment I can make comparing the two is that the flight to Southeast Asia is a really LONG one, and I'm not sure I'd attempt a trip that long for my very first overseas flight. Greece is pretty far, too, but not nearly as much as Southeast Asia (I did some quick checking from JFK, and the flight to Athens is 10 - 12 hours, vs 20 -22 hours to Saigon. Of course, that would be different if you're flying from the West Coast).

From what I've read of the Southeast Asia Trip Reports, I don't think you could go wrong with either trip. They're both pretty spectacular.

Sayhello

ITA on both accounts. For your first overseas trip I'd try Greece to see how you do with the long flight.

However if you really want to visit SE Asia (it's a trip high on our list as well), then go for it! Just be prepared for the very long flight. We are going to Beijing in June and after 20 hours flying to Sydney, Australia last year think that a 13 hour direct flight is going to be much easier!

SE Asia is one of my favorites. Highly recommended. I've also been to the areas of Greece ABD goes (but not on an ABD). It too is wonderful. They're so different it's a bit difficult to compare. SE Asia is certainly going to be very exotic. The food in SE Asia has been my favorite on any of my ABD's. The hotels too are probably tied with China as my favorites of my ABD's. The nice thing about the itinerary is every location is very unique. Saigon is a bustling city at the crossroads of third world traditions and a first world global economy being built. Hoi An is an exotic equivalent of a Hawaiian beach resort. The Resort has an open air lobby looking out to the ocean and is a great place to swim in the pool and have an oceanside lunch. Hanoi is traditional. Laos is pretty much out of the Jungle Book. And Cambodia of course has Angkor Wat and other bucket list temples.

I could make an argument for Greece as well. If I hadn't been there already, that ABD would be on my short list.

The flight is no doubt going to be long. Typically I'd say go to Europe first to acclimate kids to longer flights. I met a wonderful family in China who took their kids (~9yo) for the first time out of the country. They never commented about the flight, so maybe it's not a big deal. I'd just advise getting there at least 1 or 2 days ahead of time. Besides, there's a lot to see in Saigon that ABD doesn't hit.

Last edited:
I have done both and loved them both!

They are actually similar when you break down the activities (both are quite active trips--I love that!). I think it depends strongly on the part of the world you want to be in. My son was 4 in Greece and 8 in SE Asia. He loved both. The flights are long but in some ways kind of equivalent. If you have more specific questions, let me know. I think the takeaway is that you will absolutely love either one!

It's not until tomorrow (4/20).

Sayhello
Say hello...do you know if there is a code we have to use tomorrow to look up the info on website? I know ABD has done that in the past. But as I was just looking on the website, it dawned on me that I threw away that nice printed fold-out card they sent out a couple of weeks ago and never thought about whether there was a code in there I needed. Maybe they just look you up in database when you call to book a new trip? Any ideas?

Say hello...do you know if there is a code we have to use tomorrow to look up the info on website? I know ABD has done that in the past. But as I was just looking on the website, it dawned on me that I threw away that nice printed fold-out card they sent out a couple of weeks ago and never thought about whether there was a code in there I needed. Maybe they just look you up in database when you call to book a new trip? Any ideas?
As far as I know, they just look you up when you call to book a new trip. I don't remember being asked for a code.

Sayhello

I can't comment on Greece vs. SE Asia because I haven't been on those trips, but with regard to the flight times I have girls who are currently 10 and 12. We have taken them to India, South Africa, Ecuador, Hawaii and Europe. They did fine on the longer international flights because we let them veg in front of the TV and drink soda, things they usually don't so much of at home. The only flight we had problems with was Hawaii, because as a "domestic" flight (despite the fact that it was 10 hours) they didn't serve food or have TVs on some of the legs. So I think you would be fine with a 9-year-old on either flight as long as she is all set with entertainment and food.

I can't comment on Greece vs. SE Asia because I haven't been on those trips, but with regard to the flight times I have girls who are currently 10 and 12. We have taken them to India, South Africa, Ecuador, Hawaii and Europe. They did fine on the longer international flights because we let them veg in front of the TV and drink soda, things they usually don't so much of at home. The only flight we had problems with was Hawaii, because as a "domestic" flight (despite the fact that it was 10 hours) they didn't serve food or have TVs on some of the legs. So I think you would be fine with a 9-year-old on either flight as long as she is all set with entertainment and food.

Thanks for the input. We went ahead and booked SE Asia. I figured every trip after this will seem short in comparison! Haha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter