Trying to decide on a new camera

Stumpy

Mouseketeer
So, we're about to head off to Disney World in 2 weeks and our old cheap-o Canon SD1400is camera does not need to go along with us. I'd like to buy a new camera that takes considerably better pictures than our old point and shoot, but I'm torn between three models. I've chosen these for a couple of reasons. First, we have to use Best Buy because I've got a gift card from there. Second, I don't want a full-on DSLR (I'm not lugging it around) but want something that takes better shots, particularly in low-light situations. Finally, I want to stay close to or under $500. So, with that in mind, anybody have any of these cameras? Opinions? Images you can share for comparison purposes?

1. Sony RX100 - At $550 it's a little high on the price scale but the reviews are really good. I like its size and the sensor it has in it.

2. Samsung Galaxy Camera - At $400 it's a better price but the camera seems more gimmick than substance. I don't care that it can play Angry Birds, reviews say the battery life is horrible, and so far I'm unimpressed with image quality. We actually bought it and are test driving it now but I'm still not sold that it's going to get the job done.

3. Sony NEX 3N - At $350 it's the best price by far and it's the best image quality but being a compact system, I'm worried the size will be too big to comfortably carry around. Plus, my wife didn't care for it that much and I'd really like to step up to the Nex 5 but it's a bit too pricey and I don't want the hassle of having to manually add a flash to the camera should I need it.

Any opinions, comments, experiences???? :confused3

Based on what you said in your rundown it seems like you've done the narrowing down and RX100 is the choice to go with.

Thanks. I do like the idea of the Nex 3 but for what we want the RX100 may be a better option. Nothing against the Galaxy Camera if anyone likes them, I would just rather have clearer pictures than the convenience of posting them to Facebook.

I did pretty much have my mind made up but I have a hard time committing to any purchase. Seriously, it took me forever just to pick a mechanical keyboard for my PC, much less the components I put into the computer. The camera is no different.

Mechanical Keyboard. I use to be strictly buckling spring IBM/Unicomp. I have now settled on cherry blue keys.

The RX100 is great. I keep mine in the Pelican 1010 case with a bit of padding (The non-clear lid ones already have a pad and might not need padding).

I carried the RX100 everywhere last year and got some great pictures. Look on ebay for RX100 leica tape for a non-slip surface. And on amazon for a charge with two spare batteries. And the HW store for a small o-ring to convert the wrist-band to an adjustable one. The case, tape and charger batteries are inexpensive...

Had I not had a Best Buy gift card I had to use I would've likely gone with one of the RX100s listed for $399. That is truly a great price on that camera and I have yet to hear anything negative about it (well, other than from people who swear by Canon or Nikon). I actually ended up getting a Sony Nex 5T because BB had one on sale for $399 and it was too good to pass up. The RX100 was $550 so I figured I'd deal with the slightly larger bulk and save the $150. But, had they not had that I was definitely going to pick up the RX100 (although that pesky 100 ii kept calling my name as well).

Oh, and for the mechanical keyboard I know the buckling springs well. They were slightly before my time but that was the first keyboard I ever touched and it obviously left a good impression on me. I like the MX blues as well but like the blacks as well. Sorry I just went on such a techno-geek rant here, but for those of you who haven't experienced what a high quality keyboard feels like and if you do a lot of typing you're missing out on the world.

Had I not had a Best Buy gift card I had to use I would've likely gone with one of the RX100s listed for $399. That is truly a great price on that camera and I have yet to hear anything negative about it (well, other than from people who swear by Canon or Nikon). I actually ended up getting a Sony Nex 5T because BB had one on sale for $399 and it was too good to pass up. The RX100 was $550 so I figured I'd deal with the slightly larger bulk and save the $150. But, had they not had that I was definitely going to pick up the RX100 (although that pesky 100 ii kept calling my name as well).

Great camera. Congratulations and good luck.

The issue is.. the NEX 5T has a bigger (and better) sensor than the RX100. But the RX100 has a better lens than the "kit" lens with the NEX 5T.

Oh, and for the mechanical keyboard I know the buckling springs well. They were slightly before my time but that was the first keyboard I ever touched and it obviously left a good impression on me. I like the MX blues as well but like the blacks as well. Sorry I just went on such a techno-geek rant here, but for those of you who haven't experienced what a high quality keyboard feels like and if you do a lot of typing you're missing out on the world.

A NEX 5T for $399?:worship::worship:

Having had good experiences in the past I figured I couldn't go wrong with a Sony product, either a NEX or an RX. And yes, I was surprised at the cost of the NEX as well. Granted, it was open box but the ONLY flaws I found from it as opposed to buying new were that the small sticker on the touch screen was already removed and placed on the box, a piece of paper had a crease on it, and the battery was already in the camera. Oh, and the first smudges put on the touch screen came from the Geek Squad guy who pulled it out of the box. Seriously, that was ALL that was wrong with it and if I rejected it just for those menial things then I have more mental issues than I thought. Everything else was in perfect condition so I really couldn't complain. I inspected it up and down to make sure no one touched the sensor and that there was no other damage to it. I even got to take the little tag off the spot for the external flash and the tag showing off some of the features.

For the price I thought something HAD to be wrong since the exact same camera unopened on their floor was $599 but nope, nothing.

And my wallet! My wife already gave me the evil eye because I have an online order being delivered Monday that contains some filters, extra lens caps, a couple of batteries, an external charger, and a couple more items. But, I told her we had to be fully prepared for our upcoming trip to Disney and then she forgot about me spending money on the camera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter