• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying to decide .. October or February

3Aumillers

Mouseketeer
DH and I are trying to figure out when to make our first "family trip" to Disney World. We have both been a couple of times but have yet to take our DD with us. She turns 4 in October so we initially thought it would be great to go for her birthday. Then we thought maybe we would wait and go in February or early March when it's cold here and warm in Florida.

I would love to hear from anyone with advice to offer either for or against October and February / March. Are there days / weeks to avoid in Feb and March???

When do they add the 2006 dates to the online reservation system??

TIA --
Sarah
Courtney (10/18/01) ... I want to go NOW!! :cheer2:

Hi Sarah,

President's Day week, espeically the weekend and into the early part of the week, is usually crowded. March starts getting into spring break time.

The Orlando weather in February is unpredictable. It can be 50 during the day and in the 30s in the morning, or it can get up in the 80s during the day. October is more reliably warmer, if that's what you're looking for.

Crowds are manageable in October and Febraury as long as you avaoid President's Day week.

Bob

Have to totally agree with Bob P. We have been at both times of the year. We usually go in February, since we are from New Orleans and our children have a week off for Mardi Gras.

The weather has been ALL OVER THE BOARD during this time of year. We bring coats and gloves and shorts and tee shirts. And usually, we wear it all - I am not kidding.

October was very balmy the year we went for MNSSHP. Just great - and low crowds, too.

I would DEFINATELY avoid President's week. The one time that Mardi Gras coinsided with it, it was painful! Luckily we only felt the crowds coming in at the end of our week there, but for those couple of days the crowds were massive!

If I had to choose - I would definately choose October.

I have never been in February but have been twice in October and can't imagine going at any other time! In fact I'm already planning for October of '06!

The weather is beautiful, crowds are very manageable and MNSSHP is not to be missed. Plus you have the food and wine festival going on at Epcot.

This really is a great time to go, I vote for October!!

Thanks everyone for your responses ... I would prefer to go in October simply because it will get here before February. I also think it would be so neat to be able to celebrate DD's birthday while we are there.

I think we are going to pass on MNSSHP this year ... are we crazy?? Cost was our main factor .. thought we could better spend that $80 or whatever it will cost for the 3 of us ... hope we don't regret it ...

We go every year in October (for our wedding anniversary) and have always had perfect weather. Feburuary tends to be very chilly. Don't forget the F&WF is going in October as an added treat.

We always went the end of September - beginning of October when my sister and I were little. It was great! The weather was good, the crowds were low, and we would always go in October now if we didn't have school!

A couple other points to consider...
Temps in Oct average in the mid 80s. In Orlando, that's pretty hot (at least to us). Temps in Feb average in the mid 70s, which we think is perfect if you're roaming around the parks all day. You can get an occasional cold spell in Feb, but keep in mind that Oct is still hurricane season (and they're predicting another bad season this year). If you go in Feb, make sure you check-in before Value season ends. We've been at WDW for 10 days in Feb and I've worn a jacket once. Maybe we've just been lucky. Here's where I find my weather info.....
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USFL0372_f.html

We are planning a trip for October 2006 also. I am excited because 2006 is the 25th anniversary of EPCOT and I'm hoping they will have some new stuff going on. It's our favorite park.

If you want warm weather I would go in October. We went twice this February and the weather was COLD :cold:
Go to MNSSHP while you are there.

ccgegg said:
A couple other points to consider...
Temps in Oct average in the mid 80s. In Orlando, that's pretty hot (at least to us). Temps in Feb average in the mid 70s, which we think is perfect if you're roaming around the parks all day. You can get an occasional cold spell in Feb, but keep in mind that Oct is still hurricane season (and they're predicting another bad season this year). If you go in Feb, make sure you check-in before Value season ends. We've been at WDW for 10 days in Feb and I've worn a jacket once. Maybe we've just been lucky. Here's where I find my weather info.....
http://weather.yahoo.com/climo/USFL0372_f.html

Hi ccgegg,

I'm not disputing your facts...but I think you have indeed been lucky! :)

Average temperatures are just that, averages...they are an indicator of long term trends.

We were there for a week in Feb 2004 and it was quite chilly several days and warm other days. If you look at Feb temperatures on a year-by-year basis and not just averages, you will find a cold snap almost every February. We come from NY and when I go to Florida I don't want to wake up to temperatures in the 30s!

Meanwhile, we all need to keep in mind that last year was a fluke as far as hurricanes go. WDW had only closed ONE DAY in 33 years prior to 2004 due to hurricanes. Does that mean we can't get a replay of 2004? No, but the odds certainly are against it. And even if it is an active hurricane season, that doesn't mean any or all of them will come anywhere near Central Florida.

Bob

The crowds in the parks start to pick up again in February.

Personally, I love going in October because the weather is pleasant and the crowds are lighter. We will be celebrating DS's 6th birthday at WDW in October this year. I can't wait for MNSSHP.

I've been June, end of Aug/Sept, October and December.

When we've been in October (been twice but have never done MNSSHP) it has still been really hot. But despite this, we still love October. We did notice that this time of year is getting busier.

I would love to try February sometime because I actually like the cooler temps. but admittedly, I wouldn't like 30's and 40's. :)

Another vote for October. Where do you live? In Feb we have to worry about snow delays and more chance of someone having the flu.

I think you'll LOVE the Food & Wine Fest. I think you could easily skip MNSSHP. We went last year and had a blast but I felt like we wasted 2 days of our trip. We didn't do parks the day of the party so the kids could rest up and then because we stayed out til 10PM(I think the party is open til midnight) the kids were tired and cranky the next day. But my DS(4) says the one thing he wants to do next trip is Trick or Treat at MK so we may go again or may wait til they are older.

And what better way to celebrate a birthday?

I was going to go in January for dd's 5th birthday, so I posted a similar thread. October won out! I usually go in November and I've been in August before. I love the weather and crowd levels in November...I'm assuming October won't be much different. Btw, I won't be participating in MNSSHP either. :)

Bob P said:
Hi ccgegg,

I'm not disputing your facts...but I think you have indeed been lucky! :)

Average temperatures are just that, averages...they are an indicator of long term trends.

We were there for a week in Feb 2004 and it was quite chilly several days and warm other days. If you look at Feb temperatures on a year-by-year basis and not just averages, you will find a cold snap almost every February. We come from NY and when I go to Florida I don't want to wake up to temperatures in the 30s!

Meanwhile, we all need to keep in mind that last year was a fluke as far as hurricanes go. WDW had only closed ONE DAY in 33 years prior to 2004 due to hurricanes. Does that mean we can't get a replay of 2004? No, but the odds certainly are against it. And even if it is an active hurricane season, that doesn't mean any or all of them will come anywhere near Central Florida.

Bob

You're correct, Bob. But our preference is to put up with maybe a few days of jacket-type weather (highs in the upper 50s), than have mid-80s (potentially 90+) and be hot. To each their own, I guess. As for last year's hurricane season being a fluke, they are predicting another bad season this year, but obviously they can't tell where they'll hit (hopefully not Orlando).......

NOAA’s 2005 Atlantic hurricane season outlook indicates a 70% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, a 20% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

For the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season the ACE index is expected to be in the range of 120%-190% of the median. The outlook also calls for 12-15 tropical storms, with 7-9 becoming hurricanes, and 3-5 of these becoming major hurricanes [categories 3-4-5 on the Saffir-Simpson scale]. While it is reasonable to expect this range of tropical storms and hurricanes, the total seasonal activity measured by the ACE index can certainly be in the predicted range without all three of these criteria being met.

The vast majority of the tropical storms and hurricanes in 2005 will form during August-October. Many of these are likely to form over the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean Sea in the region between 9°N-21.5°N (green box), which is typical for above-normal seasons. These systems generally track westward toward the Caribbean Sea and/or United States as they strengthen. Historically, similar seasons have averaged 2-3 landfalling hurricanes in the continental United States and 1-2 hurricanes in the region around the Caribbean Sea. However, it is currently not possible to confidently predict at these extended ranges the number or intensity of landfalling hurricanes, and whether or not a given locality will be impacted by a hurricane this season.

3Aumillers said:
WOW --- Thank you so much for your responses. Can't wait to share them with DH tonite.

Hey, that's what we're here for...ask a simple question and get a two page dissertation!! :rotfl2:

I vote for October. We went once in february and had a very bad experience with sickness. There were 7 of us and 6 of us got sick. I mean really, ugly, sick! DD3 who was 12 mo at the time had to be taken to celebration hospital which was a whole other experience. I can't say for sure that it was b/c of the time of year. But it was cold/rainy/ then warm/sunny and when we left home it was a blizzard. It was also around the time when everyone was getting sick on the cruise ships. Sooooo, IMO, October is better.

Bob P said:
Hey, that's what we're here for...ask a simple question and get a twp page dissertation!! :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: I've seen some great questions posed in threads that just fall by the wayside with 1-2 responses. But ask if you can wear a thong at Typhoon Lagoon and you're up to 8 pages before you can say "butt floss".

Bob, you did a great job as the plaintiff's lawyer in the October v February case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter