Trying to decide- Honeymoon Island or Siesta Key?

kaddjr

<font color=peach>Now I'm going to have to stalk t
We're leaving for WDW a week from tomorrow. :banana: We're thinking of adding a beach day at the end of our trip. I'm having a hard time deciding on which beach to spend a day, possibly two, at. I've narrowed it down to either Honeymoon Island or Siesta Key beach. I want to do some shelling while there- which one is better for that? I would like to find some decent sized ones, possibly some sand dollars, etc.

Please help me decide! Thanks! :)

YOu will need to go to Honeymoon Island for shelling. Not to many shells on Siesta Key. Its a great white sand beach...beautifull, but very few shells. I have not been to Honeymoon Island, but have seen it on TV...looks very nice also, but looked 'shelly'.

We are going to Siesta Key and I cant wait. We have done clearwater, but think that Siesta Key will be more relaxed.

I have not been to Honeymoon Island, but have been to Siesta Key. I do not remember finding shells at Siesta Key, but I do remember it being the most beautiful beach ever! We loved Siesta Key. The sand was so soft and the water so warm and clear. I wish we could go back! :sunny:

We love Siesta Key. Didn't find many shells. We also went to Boca Grande "down there somewhere" for tons of shells

Paticake, how funny, I was just about to post that Boca Grande had the best shells I have ever seen at a Florida Beach. Plus the water was clear and beautiful there, too. I think Boca Grande is somewhat close to Fort Myers. :sunny:

travel channel visited a florida island beach down from tampa - that had a ton of shells on it...

but I don't think it was either of the ones you mentioned.

Siesta Key has tons of shells, but they are past the point of rocks, not at the main beach.

ETA: there are also TONS of sanddollars out on the sandbar...but I find they are more common when its a bit hotter around August. Very easy to find just by willing your feet around.

We've been shelling last week and brought home a large 5 gallon paintbucket full of them...(DH has to carry it!)

SK has more sand dollars than any other beach I've found on our Gulf coast. but like lillygator said, you have to head out to the first sand bar to find them. the baby ones are the size of a dime, and you can harvest only two per day by Florida law.

Thanks for the input everyone! We're are going to Siesta Key. :)

Never been to honeymoon Island but we LOVE Siesta Key. We often add a day or two to our Disney vacations to visit this gorgeous place. The white sand and the crystal clear waters blows my mind! And, we love the little village area.

PamNC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter