• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trying some new spots this time - thoughts?

jenandkam

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! We only have 6 more "sleepies" before we head to The World!! :banana:

As such, I am DYING to talk about it and the kids are in bed. :rotfl2: SO - I turn to you, friends!

We are trying a few new places this trip and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these restaurants. We have Crystal Palace (lunch), WCC (lunch), Tusker House (lunch - and our FIRST time at Animal Kingdom).

We were going to be a small group of myself (37), my mother (64), DS (9), and DD (3). Plans have changed, and we now also include my brother (35), niece (15), niece (13), nephew (6), nephew (4). Not sure if any of that matters, but I know sometimes people like to know who they're giving their opinion for!

First off.... congratulations on your trip.... I'm so jealous... it's almost 3 months before I leave for my trip.

Now onto the important stuff..... food!! popcorn::

We love Crystal Palace. The food is good (love the stuffed french toast) and the character interaction we had was great. My niece and I had a "fight" regarding who was Eeyore's best friend and we ended up having a tug-of-war with Eeyore in the middle and he went right along with it.

We went to WCC for dinner and the food was alright. We all had the skillet and it was cooked well, and the typical barbecue fare. The kids (12, 7 & 5) all loved the never ending milkshakes. The 2 younger ones loved the wooden horses they got to ride through the restaurant. There were not a lot of antics at the restaurant while we were there, but it was a great reason to go to Wilderness Lodge.

We have never been to Tusker House but have heard great things so we have ADRs for the upcoming trip in August. You should post your review of it when you return.

Enjoy your trip, and your first ever visit to AK.... it's one of my favorite parks!

Have an amazing trip!

I can't comment on Cp. It's been too many years. I like WCC for lunch, don't order the skillet. Mediocre BBQ. Tusker house is a hit or miss. In DAK, we prefer to eat at Yak & Yeti or even the RF. My family is not so much into buffets...our favorite buffet is Cape May at the Beach Club for breakfast. Characters...and good food, and I don't eat breakfast.

Not eaten at CP or Tusker House for lunch but have had lunch at WCC which we really enjoyed. The roasted chicken was good (not sure if it is still on the menu), as was the smores cheesecake :thumbsup2

We have had dinner and breakfast at Tusker House, never lunch, but both were delicious! I love the open-market theme of the buffet. We are booked for dinner again for our trip in October.

Thanks for your responses everyon!!

I always figure, what's the worst that can happen? I don't like the choices and we don't go again? No big deal, but I still LOVE to hear other people's opinions on all things Disney before we go! :lovestruc

Great tip on the skillet too - I was wondering if I should order that or not. I was thinking it sounded like waaaaaayyyyy too much food anyway so I think I'll go with something else. :lmao:

Only 5 more sleepies now......

Tusker House is a great lunch, lots of variety and some exotic food to try. It's been called "Boma Lite" since it's not as totally African but does include some regular American style food as well.

I loved getting hummus with my lunch, and the roasted meats were great.

WCC didn't impress us, the food was all swimming in grease in that skillet. A couple of us had some tummy troubles, I think from all the grease. Also, a hint, if you get the milkshakes, ask for it without whipped cream on top. That will REALLY fill you up.

If you want all-you-can-eat barbeque, I'd recommend switching to Trial's End at Fort Wilderness. Delicious chicken and ribs, mac & cheese, cornbread, roasts, chili, soup, nice salad bar with peel and eat shrimp, and make your own sundaes. It's our favorite restaurant on property.

We eat breakfast at the Crystal Palace every time we visit. The food is really good (although I really miss the Breakfast Lasagna:sad:) and the character interaction is great - the characters usually make it by our table at least twice during our meal.

We have eaten at WCC 4 or 5 times and have always enjoyed the food. I usually order the skillet and I have always been pleased with it. It certainly isn't the best BBQ I have had but it is very good.

We have only had breakfast at Tusker House and it has not been one of our favorite experiences. My kids are not adventurous eaters:snooty:so we have never even considered lunch or dinner there.

Have fun:)

Hi everyone! We only have 6 more "sleepies" before we head to The World!! :banana:

As such, I am DYING to talk about it and the kids are in bed. :rotfl2: SO - I turn to you, friends!

We are trying a few new places this trip and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on these restaurants. We have Crystal Palace (lunch), WCC (lunch), Tusker House (lunch - and our FIRST time at Animal Kingdom).

We were going to be a small group of myself (37), my mother (64), DS (9), and DD (3). Plans have changed, and we now also include my brother (35), niece (15), niece (13), nephew (6), nephew (4). Not sure if any of that matters, but I know sometimes people like to know who they're giving their opinion for!

Have eaten at all 3 of your choices, and for those meals, too. LOVE Crystal Palace (have your camera ready...great character photos.) We really enjoyed the skillet at WCC...no, it's not the "best" BBQ, but it's good. and that hotel is beautiful place to visit...allow some time to explore the grounds at Wilderness Lodge if you're not staying there. We enjoyed Tusker House lunch buffet...yes, there are a few exotic offerings on the buffet, but there is also plenty of plain-ol'-American-type buffet food so even picky eaters will be happy. And it's attractive decor for Animal Kingdom.

Bit of advice for first-timers at Animal Kingdom...get there at rope-drop. Ride Expedition Everest first if you're interested, and then quickly get across the park to Kilmanjaro Safari. If you're not riding Everest, go straight to the Safari ride. The BEST time of day for the Safari is as early in the morning as you can make it...after the first hour, the lines are long at the safari, and the animals become more & more scarce throughout the day until late afternoon. EArly in the AM, there are loads of animals within close viewing on the safari. Well worth all that walking. Also, don't miss Festival of the Lion King...fabulous live show with wonderful singing (Lion King songs), acrobats, dancers...combo Broadway/circus. Well worth it. Nemo the Musical is also good, but if you can only see one, go for Lion King.

Thanks everyone - how is it that I've never heard of Trail's End?? :confused3

Half the reason we're doing WCC is because I have wanted to see the resort forever - this give me an "excuse" to get my bottom over there! I know there are a lot of shenanigans over there so I will try the milkshake with no whipped while asking for ketchup and a refill on my drink. :rotfl2:

We LOVE Boma so I think we will probably like Tusker as well. We are doing Boma for my niece's 15th birthday this trip - it was her absolute favorite last time we went. The little ones can have chicken nuggets and pb&j. :thumbsup2

Great info on the safari too - I haven't done much reasearch on Animal Kingdom, but it sounds like I should. I keep hearing that it's not really a full-day park, but when I look at that map I wonder how anyone could get around that bad boy without using the entire day!! LOL.

Crystal Palace-character interaction is great but we werent crazy about the lunch food
Tusker House-LOVED IT! They had unique types of food which was really nice because it seems that a lot of the buffets at Disney have the same food over and over.

We have never been to WCC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter