Trying our 2nd cruise

2-pointdoe

Mouseketeer
I am really hoping it goes better than the first cruise I ever took in my life. We did the Caribbean in February 2010 and got stuck at Castaway Cay for an extra day. It was not fun. It was stormy, we were stuck on the boat. The engines ran the whole time to keep the boat from bashing the dock.

The only people that were getting help making arrangements were those who booked directly through Disney. The rest of us were stuck standing in lines for hours trying to get to use a phone to change flights, hotels, car rentals, etc. There was no compensation of any kind. I heard the people that were supposed to board got disney passes and hotel rooms comped. We were staying for (now) 3 more day to got to WDW but paid out of pocket including eating the cost of one nights stay and only being able to use 3 days of our tickets. Disembarking was a nightmare and took hours since we were at a different "parking" spot.

I am sure hoping this next cruise goes much better!

Has anyone else been "stuck" on a disney cruise?

I am really hoping it goes better than the first cruise I ever took in my life. We did the Caribbean in February 2010 and got stuck at Castaway Cay for an extra day. It was not fun. It was stormy, we were stuck on the boat. The engines ran the whole time to keep the boat from bashing the dock.

The only people that were getting help making arrangements were those who booked directly through Disney. The rest of us were stuck standing in lines for hours trying to get to use a phone to change flights, hotels, car rentals, etc. There was no compensation of any kind. I heard the people that were supposed to board got disney passes and hotel rooms comped. We were staying for (now) 3 more day to got to WDW but paid out of pocket including eating the cost of one nights stay and only being able to use 3 days of our tickets. Disembarking was a nightmare and took hours since we were at a different "parking" spot.

I am sure hoping this next cruise goes much better!

Has anyone else been "stuck" on a disney cruise?
No. But I think that would be one of my dream cruises. DH having to call into work saying "We're stuck on a DCL cruise" for a couple of extra days sounds nice.

All cruiselines reserve the right to change/cancel ports for any number of reasons (weather being chief among them). And it seems only right that any arrangements made through Disney would be most likely to be handled (change-wise) directly through them. Any privately made arrangements would need to be handled by/through whoever made the arrangements in the first place.

This sort of situation is not all that common, and I'd hazard a guess that your next cruise will go just fine.

The funny part is it sounds nice but it was storming, the pools were closed, the wind was so bad that dd could not stand upright when outside, LOL.
I realize that they would only handle their reservations but they were so completely unhelpful to everyone else that it was kind of unreal. I expect they just really did not know how to handle it. Some poor canadians were looking at thousands of dollars to get knew flights.

No. But I think that would be one of my dream cruises. DH having to call into work saying "We're stuck on a DCL cruise" for a couple of extra days sounds nice.

All cruiselines reserve the right to change/cancel ports for any number of reasons (weather being chief among them). And it seems only right that any arrangements made through Disney would be most likely to be handled (change-wise) directly through them. Any privately made arrangements would need to be handled by/through whoever made the arrangements in the first place.

This sort of situation is not all that common, and I'd hazard a guess that your next cruise will go just fine.

Our DVC Member Cruise in '05 was affected by hurricane Ophelia and we docked at Port Everglades. It was a crazy night trying to change flights and more. DH is not one to stand in long lines, he called our airline directly. When we told DCL what the charge was, we got OBC for the amount on a future cruise. We sent DCL a letter explaining the situation, that's how we got the OBC.

Disney bussed everyone to where they needed to go. I think everyone was glad to be safe. I do not remember much else.

I also hope your next cruise is problem free.

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience! :sad2: I just wanted to let you know that I have been following these boards for about 3 years now, and I have never heard anyone else have the same issue. I hope your 2nd cruise goes great! :sail:

Well, we didn't get stuck on a Disney cruise, but we got stuck in Hawaii once, so I understand what you went through. Getting stuck in Hawaii sounds nice, but when your outbound flight is cancelled because of a possible hurricane and you have to spend hours and hours and hours on the phone trying to get home, re-arranging work schedules and making sure pets will be cared for, etc. it is not really a vacation anymore. That being said, I hope your upcoming cruise is wonderful!!!

These kinds of things are why I'm glad I'm semi-retired. An extra couple of days on a cruise or in Hawai'i? I think I'll call the kennel, tell 'em I'm gonna be late and have another Mai Tai.

This is my first time booking through a TA - if this happened to me, would I call the TA to make new arrangements or just try to do everything myself?

we were stuck in P.V. mexico during hurricane kenna. happened on the day we were meant to be leaving. had to stay an extra two days at the resort before the roads opened up and any flights came in. there was no electricity, very little food left at the resort, mattress up against all the patio windows for safety.
most everyone flipped this baby around and it became a very magical time. candle light only, sandwiches and rice shared with stories, beach walks to help the baby turtles (there were tons of them) that had been washed ashore get back to the ocean, a few more margaritas. we were able to call home and let them know we were okay and to call work for us.
of course there was 'that couple' who complained to the airline stewards that they didn't appreciate not getting home in time, like the stewards created the hurricane.

opp, while no one can see the future, you should be fine this time around. things like what happened on your first cruise seldom happen so the odds are in your favour. have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter