Trying not to beat a dead horse, but ...

blondinkaya

DIS Veteran
I've read all sorts of recommendations for back packs/shoulder bags, etc., but I really don't want to carry those around. Right now I'm considering either a fanny pack or cargo shorts. I want to carry as little as possible (but still be prepared, kwim). I'm just not a pocket book kind of person.

What kind of fanny pack would you recommend? Oh, and I know this is probably the silliest question ever :rotfl: , but when wearing a fanny pack, does that mean the pouches are behind you or in front of you? :confused3 I want something in front of me that's totally hands-free.

Thanks so much!

I use a fanny pack, even though i know its not fashionable, but to me its alot easier for me to access my stuff, than having to carry a backpack. You wear the fanny pack in front, but when i have pics taken i swing it around to the back so that its not in my pictures. I also wear cargo shorts, they are great as well. Not sure if i could get away with just using cargo shorts, since i usually carry around a camera and a camcorder. But on the other hand if you just wore the cargo shorts, you would never have to go the bag check line.

Ooooh, I didn't think about a bag check line! Does that tend to create a bottleneck effect at the entrance, or is it fairly quick to get your bag checked?

It's quick to get through bag check, especially if you're prepared. Have your bag open, all zippers open and they'll look through it real quick.

I love my fanny pack. I have my ID, room key & extra CC (just in case), a little cash, cell phone, camera & mini illness/first aid --excedrin, motrin, kid tylenol chewables, benadryl adult & kid, sudafed (we all suffer from various allergies & regular headaches) moleskin, bandaids & lip balm. I'm prepared for just about anything and it's all right at my waist. What can I say, I was a Girl Scout that follows the Boy Scouts motto "Be prepared":rolleyes1

Wow, thanks for the list of what you pack in it! Some of it I hadn't thought of but realize they really are must-haves.

Is there a particular brand/size you'd recommend? They come in different sizes, right? And I think everyone using them is a wonderful idea; that way they can take their own ponchos (just in case).

I wore cargo shorts and carried nothing in a bag or backpack. After the first day of having it rub on my tender shoulder I ditched it.

Between DS and I, we carried our KTTWC and fast passes in one of those plastic folders with the zipper on it that was hooked to our beltloop on a pulley. I tucked it in my pocket though after i hooked it to my belt. The plastic kept them safe from the water rides. Paper money we kept in here also.

A mickey head on a carbineer (sp) hook bought at the gift shop that hooked to my other belt loop for a bottle of water.

A lanyard with a carbineer that hooked onto my digital camera case.

Cargo pockets for DS and I held a travel size sunscreen. I had a mini bottle of various meds. a few bandaids in my pocket. Sons DS fit in his pocket too. I think that is all we took. Oh and llighter in my pocket and cell p hone.

Oh and my few cigarettes for the day went around my neck also in a dry goods box that locks that I also got in POP giftshop. This was just a small one but you could get larger ones I saw at the waterparks.

FYI I had sons Nintendo DS, my camera and my cell phone in their own small ziplock bag. The camera stayed dry even if my camera case got wet.

No more bags for me EVER. Around my neck, hooked to my belt loop or in my pocket. The days I did not wear cargo pants the extra stuff just went into the camera case around my neck.

Stephanie

have you considered a wallet that clips to your belt? Instead of a wrap-around the body fanny pack, this is a wallet with a zippered closing with compartents. I have a Minnie Mouse one that a friend gave me. I used the last time and it was perfect. I felt sooo free. I kept my passes, money, and chapstick, and hand sanitizer in it. It clipped to my pants beltloop; and I could walk right through the security. Loved it. No sore shoulders or tired feelings at the end of the day. Oh, I even managed to get my small digital camera in it. the wallet's about 3" X 6" X 2" thick.

have you considered a wallet that clips to your belt? Instead of a wrap-around the body fanny pack, this is a wallet with a zippered closing with compartents. I have a Minnie Mouse one that a friend gave me. I used the last time and it was perfect. I felt sooo free. I kept my passes, money, and chapstick, and hand sanitizer in it. It clipped to my pants beltloop; and I could walk right through the security. Loved it. No sore shoulders or tired feelings at the end of the day. Oh, I even managed to get my small digital camera in it. the wallet's about 4" X 6" X 2" thick.

have you considered a wallet that clips to your belt? Instead of a wrap-around the body fanny pack, this is a wallet with a zippered closing with compartents. I have a Minnie Mouse one that a friend gave me. I used the last time and it was perfect. I felt sooo free. I kept my passes, money, and chapstick, and hand sanitizer in it. It clipped to my pants beltloop; and I could walk right through the security. Loved it. No sore shoulders or tired feelings at the end of the day. Oh, I even managed to get my small digital camera in it. the wallet's about 3" X 6" X 2" thick.

I'm trying to get a visual of what you're talking about. It came with a clip? I'm going to have to look that up. In any case, maybe the boys and dh can wear cargo shorts with some stuff in them, and I can find a wallet or something like that. Ideally, I'd love to not have to go through bag check or lug anything around the park, kwim? Luckily (it's a blessing and a curse :lmao: ) I have until May to decide.

the camera was an old cannon. Can't remember the model. The camera case was not that huge, and it wasn't really an issue to carry it on the lanyard around my neck. The camera was larger than the tiny ones they have out now, but I could fit the camera and a pack of batteries in there too. The case had a large metal clip on it that I attached to the lanyard. I always knew it was there so I wouldnt lose it. It hung almost to my waist. I started with it on my belt loop but forgot about it so put it around my neck. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will try to find one that shows it.

Stephanie

I have a small pack that I got at a craft fair in Colorado. It's just a little bit bigger than a fanny pack but it has a strap to wear it across your shoulder if you like (not quite so uncool). I can fit my camera, lipstick, cell phone and a small brush in the main compartment. The flaps have slots for credit cards, licenses and two separate zippered compartments for cash or whatever. the lady who sells them handapints them also so they're pretty nice looking and can double for a small purse. I love it because I can go hands free all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter