Trying a DVC first?

ericstac

DIS Veteran
I've read I can try a DVC or several before actually buying a package.

how exactly do I do this?

maybe I can split stay this upcoming vacation to see if we enjoy the BLV, or is it too late?

Right now the vacation is Dec 22nd-Jan 3rd at the Polynesian.. we are actually getting there on the 21st and I was thinking of trying a different resort, like the Beach Club but then started thinking I should try a DVC.. then thought maybe I should split the time and do a week at a DVC and a week at the Poly.

this even possible though?
:confused3

on short notice? probably not.

you can always check and see if disney has cash rooms for rent during the period you are looking at, but if you are looking at "renting points" from a DVC owner during december, you really need to plan 10-11 months out.

on short notice? probably not.

you can always check and see if disney has cash rooms for rent during the period you are looking at, but if you are looking at "renting points" from a DVC owner during december, you really need to plan 10-11 months out.

I did, they don't have anything but that just made everything more confusing to me.

how much should it typically cost to rent a DVC for a week at the end of December at Bay Lake Tower? Disney was showing something like a thousand a night cash.

how much should it typically cost to rent a DVC for a week at the end of December at Bay Lake Tower? Disney was showing something like a thousand a night cash.

here is the point chart for 2014 for BLT:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/BLT-Points.htm#baylaketower2014

a lakeview studio is 27 pts per nt for each weeknight the last week of dec, and 32 pts per nt for each weekend night during the last week of dec.

so, for example, if you rented for $13 per pt, that would be 27 x $13 = $351 per weeknight.

but all of december is pretty much peak season for DVC bookings and many resorts are booked full at least 7-8 months ahead of time.

It would depend on room size and resort and actual time. The week between Christmas and New Years is the most expensive point wise. We are staying in a 2 bedroom theme park view at BLT for 5 nights during Easter week (same pricing) and it's costing us 420 points. Ouch! But Disney prices are crazy. If I were to rent that at even $15 a point (which is top of rentals I think ) it would cost $6200. At $10 a point (which is rarer these days) it would be $4200. But remember a 2 bedroom would sleep 9 so the equivalent of at least 2 rooms. And it's a theme park view is the most expensive points there.

It's only about 3 months before the trip you are planning. If that's the normal amount of time for your family's vacation planning, dvc won't be easy for you to use.

Home resort owners can book at 11 months out. Non- home resorts can be booked at 7 months out. 3 months out means that there might be few to no rooms available, or scattered availability that requires changing rooms, etc.

We bought dvc w/o ever staying in a dvc room, or even having stayed at the contempoary (1st contract is at Bay Lake.) But, we took the tour about 4 times before we bought, and we were used to planning vacations up to a year out. (Now we plan our vacations about 2-3 years out!)

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

I would visit all of the DVC resorts during your next vacation. Make note of the ones that feel right, look at the layout, food, transportation, access to the parks and other items of interest.

On your next vacation rent from an owner a split stay, spending a couple of days at your top picks.

Everyone likes different things about the resorts, looking at the DVC website and at other online sites and you tube will give you a good feel for the resorts prior to your vacation.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney's cash rate for renting rooms has nothing to do with rental prices renting direct from a DVC member. Disney only has a small portion of the rooms to rent themselves in comparison to how many are available to members.
As was previously stated most members at this time are renting points at about $11-$14 per points. By looking at the point chart link you can then figure out how much the rooms are per night. One other item to consider is that there is no tax in the rooms you rent from DVC members where as a cash rooms from Disney would have the12.5% tax added to the rate.

I did, they don't have anything but that just made everything more confusing to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter