• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Try to be Positive!

SuperRob

DVC Members Since 2011
Everyone knows that things aren't perfect right now. It's a tough time, change is hard, and there's a lot of fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) going around. But remember, folks, this board is for strategies and the spirit is to try to be helpful for people who are planning Disney vacations to help them get the most out of their trip. :idea:

There is very little point to the overwhelming negativity going around, its not helpful, and if anything it's arguably painting such a negative picture that even if things went well for someone, they might come away with a negative impression just because of things they've read here. The fact of the matter is that if this is someone's first trip, why are you setting them up to have a bad experience? Would you have liked that if someone did that to you? You're spending a lot of money on these trips, so why wouldn't you want to help someone have that magical experience we all remember? :wizard:

We can't change what Disney is going to do (and even if we could, THIS isn't the place that's going to do it), but what we can do is try to bring out the best of that Disney service we all appreciate so much and try to be positive and helpful to others. :hug:

I realize I'm probably spitting into the wind here, and after all, this is the internet and people tend to be jerks when they're anonymous. :badpc: But I believe we can all be better than that. Try to have a positive outlook, be helpful when people ask questions, and try to keep the bellyaching to a minimum. Most importantly, remember that no matter what we might want to happen in the future, we have to deal with what's going on now, and it is still possible to have a wonderful trip even with the current changes. We can help make that happen for people. :hippie:

Thanks for the post. I said this on another thread, and I will say it again here (spelling corected and embellished).

My concern with the negativity is not the experienced disney fan's who mostly know better and know to take the internet with a grain of salt, and know what Disney can and can't and do and doesn't do.

My concern is the average newcomer who has never been and is starting off what should be one of the happiest times in their lives that they paid a lot of money in order to be able to do - maybe only once in their lives - and they are starting off with all these negative vibes.

It ruins the magic that they should be able to enjoy. One can argue they do it to themselves by coming here, but on the other hand I don't think Disney is just a vacation. I think it's an experience and it should be enjoyed not when you get to the airport, but months before. Coming to boards like these and learning and seeing is a vital part of that experience.

As big as these boards are, we represent just a very small few. But we few - we who should be the abassadors and the teachers and the educators and the magic makers - we who should be helping to create the magic are ruining it.

Take the Disney Cruise lines as an example. My first cruise I had no idea was fish extenders were. By my second, we were fully engaged making FE's for many of the cabins and doing lots of neat gifts. making the gifts was fun. Coming back to my cabin to new surprises every day was magical. And putting that same magic on someone elses door and giving them that same feeling they gave us - that was truely magical. the best thing about it though - at least to me - is it WASN'T DISNEY DOING IT. It was US. The fans. The people on the ship. You and Me. WE WERE THE MAGIC. We were taking what Disney had created and making it better - not just for us, but for random people we didn't know and never really would. And that was COOL, because the magic wasn't Disney's. It was OURS.

There are similar things that happen - there was for a while (don't know if it still goes on) a movement where you posted your address on the boards if you were going to Disney with a kid and someone else who was there would drop a postcard from Disney when they were there a few weeks before. Again - it's not Disney making the magic. WE MAKE IT. We take the magic, and we enhance it and make it better. New people who have no idea what Disney is about - they are the biggest beneficiaries of these RAOM's (Random Act's of Magic).

And to me - that is what Disney is about. it's not the company. Disney is a symbol - but they can only do so much by themselves. What they have built though is larger. it's an idea. It's a love for magic and what Walt invisioned and what we all have in our hearts and what we want everyone else to experience like we did.

Instead we here are killing it for the random others. And that's really, really sad.

Anyway... that's my 2 cents. off my soap box.

This is a great thread! I do appreciate people having strong views on all the changes going through. In many ways it does stink for those impacted. Our 2014 trip isn't until September so I'm hoping that many of these initial bugs get fleshed out over the next few months. Now that gives me hope but does nothing for the folks with trips in March. That being said some perspective is important.......Disney didn't just turn the switch on here. We've known about it for months (years more than likely). The thing I'm seeing and feeling from the boards is that many expected better from all the "so-called" testing that was done. There in lies the issue.......people's expectations are that "testing" is a promise.........but few understand that testing is not ever perfect or even close to it (can you tell I do Quality Assurance work). Now in many fields where testing is a matter of life or death.......perfection is a requirement and in most cases takes years. In business, most expecially the theme-park business, companies don't have years.......they need to get it out to make it cost effective. What we're seeing here with My Magic+ is the reality of testing...........simulating what would happen during a busy time of year is obviously very difficult to test (fully). Disney is running into those problems......and yes it stinks for those who are stuck in the middle of it. If it were me I would definately say something, complete a survey, tell the front desk at my resort......I wouldn't let it sit........but I'd do it with a smile....or at least try to :)

I too have trouble understanding all the negativity. I do realize a Disney vacation is quite costly and I also get that the expectations are higher. But I also believe I create my enjoyment. On our last trip, I got sick on our last day and missed out on a visit to HS and Star Wars weekend. It really bummed me out........but we get over it. :cool1: In fact we had a character breakfast that morning and I went (Hey I don't miss "my dog" Goofy) and the waitress at Cape May Cafe was just awesome. She brought me tea......and in the end didn't charge for my portion of the breakfast because she knew I was ill (and I didn't really eat anything but toast).....and I saw Goofy!! It comes down to how we handle the adversity, IMHO. Hey you have to be you but........in the end we make the joy on the trip.........right?

Totally disagree. The negativity is important. It creates conversation and allows people to evaluate what they hear and put things into perspective for themselves. I've experienced the travesty of FP+, and I don't plan to do it again. I'm sharing my experience, and the experiences of others with friends so they are aware. For those that fit the new WDW demographic (sleep late, few headliners, never used FP before, etc.) I tell them they'll love it. For those that fit my style (get to the park early, ride all the headliners multiple times, make the most of the trip by experiencing all the rides you can't ride at home) I let them know about the limitations, my negative experiences and the negative experiences they might experience. I provide insight and facts. My insight is negative, because my experience was negative, but it's still of value to people.

Since Disney shut down reviews on its FB page I think its only fair that people planning trips can see what is really going on through the eyes of the most knowledgeable. I wouldn't want to spend all that money for a once in a lifetime vacation only to return thinking I wish someone would have told me about XYZ. The "negative" vibes prepares them for a less than perfect vacation, which is a very real possibility with FP+ testing during peak times.

Frankly this thread isn't helping anyone plan a trip either. I will say it again....

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.

If you want this place to be more "planny" and less negative, then post threads that actually help folks plan. Starting a thread simply to lecture those who do otherwise is completely counterproductive. Heck...FLOOD the board with planning posts and drive the others off the first page. Here are some ideas for you:

Best time of day to hit the mountains in MK?

Where to go first at rope drop?

Which way do you go around the park (clockwise or counter)?

Best streetmosphere act?

What's the best nighttime show at wdw?

How do I thank a CM?

Best transportation offering at WDW?

How does photopass work?

Where is the best place to watch the parade from?

And no, I don't care to start any of these threads myself because I do find value in the negative posts as well. I don't look at Disney through rose-colored glasses. For me, it's good to know the potential pitfalls so I can work to avoid them myself or be prepared for the possibility of it.

Totally disagree. The negativity is important. It creates conversation and allows people to evaluate what they hear and put things into perspective for themselves. I've experienced the travesty of FP+, and I don't plan to do it again. I'm sharing my experience, and the experiences of others with friends so they are aware. For those that fit the new WDW demographic (sleep late, few headliners, never used FP before, etc.) I tell them they'll love it. For those that fit my style (get to the park early, ride all the headliners multiple times, make the most of the trip by experiencing all the rides you can't ride at home) I let them know about the limitations, my negative experiences and the negative experiences they might experience. I provide insight and facts. My insight is negative, because my experience was negative, but it's still of value to people.

Most definately a fair point of view.......especially when you differentiate what "Demographic" you fall in. Question: So are you saying that your latest visit with all the FP+ troubles you had, was a complete debacle? From beginning to end? Just trying to understand your perspective because it comes across so strident.........and sounds like your entire visit was bad.

Since Disney shut down reviews on its FB page I think its only fair that people planning trips can see what is really going on through the eyes of the most knowledgeable. I wouldn't want to spend all that money for a once in a lifetime vacation only to return thinking I wish someone would have told me about XYZ. The "negative" vibes prepares them for a less than perfect vacation, which is a very real possibility with FP+ testing during peak times.

Yup.

Most definately a fair point of view.......especially when you differentiate what "Demographic" you fall in. Question: So are you saying that your latest visit with all the FP+ troubles you had, was a complete debacle? From beginning to end? Just trying to understand your perspective because it comes across so strident.........and sounds like your entire visit was bad.

To make a very long story short ... it was a debacle at the beginning as 3 FP is just not enough for my family. Since I was there Thanksgiving 2013, paper FP still existed (though unavailable to me due to POP) and I was able to salvage my vacation from FP+ by using my Thanksgiving 2012 KTTW. Had I not done so, it would have been debacle til the end.

Now, I won't lie and suggest that we still wouldn't have found some way to have fun, but it wouldn't have been the fun I paid for.

Great post! I just hope that people coming here to learn a few things about the parks before their first trip don't get discouraged. You can't miss what you never had. We went to Disney for the first time last September and we used FP+ only..I understand we went at a slow time of the year but it worked for us. I also greatly appreciate everything I learned on these boards and attribute the success of our trip to the people that helped us plan it here. I definitely understand why a lot of people are upset around here but it would be nice if it the negativity wasn't quite so overwhelming. It probably would have scared me off honestly coming in as a newbie. I know this won't change anything but if anyone planning an upcoming first visit to disney reads this, you will still have a great time!

To make a very long story short ... it was a debacle at the beginning as 3 FP is just not enough for my family. Since I was there Thanksgiving 2013, paper FP still existed (though unavailable to me due to POP) and I was able to salvage my vacation from FP+ by using my Thanksgiving 2012 KTTW. Had I not done so, it would have been debacle til the end.

Now, I won't lie and suggest that we still wouldn't have found some way to have fun, but it wouldn't have been the fun I paid for.

Thanks.....to your point.....your experience salvaged the trip.....a bit:)

Great idea!:thumbsup2 Change is usually unwelcome and hard to deal with, especially on vacation. But I think a positive attitude is a great place to start.

I'll offer my tips/observations to help others from our end of Jan. trip:

If you're normally rope drop people (like us!), save those 3 FP+'s for later in the afternoon or early evening. We like to hit the top attractions first thing in the morning and then head back to the hotel around 2ish for swimming. Then, when we return, we can use those 3FP+'s for rides when the lines will be considerably longer. It doesn't bother us to wait in a 20-30 minute line to be honest anyway.

Be flexible! Yes, the headliner attractions are awesome but don't overlook the smaller things like sitting on a bench and just soaking in your surroundings. The parks are beautifully themed and it's easy (for my family at least!) to rush from one thing to another.

Keep tweaking those FP+'s. I was messing around with ours right up until the cut off time of that day.

I have to say that we were big fans of the changes. No more traipsing across the park to fetch a FP which is nice. I like planning ahead so this worked for us. It was awesome to on our arrival day to be able to eat dinner at HS and then ride TOT and RnR with FP+, something that wouldn't have been as possible to do previously.

The magic bands were very convenient to use. No more juggling 5 keys to the world cards (I was official holder of them before!) We like the changes and are excited about what's to come.:goodvibes

May I add, the first time we went to Disney in 2008 I was CLUELESS. I didn't know what FP+ was, I didn't even know that Animal Kingdom existed! We still had a blast together and obviously we've been going back ever since.

I guess we are in the minority here but we have made two trips since FP+ started and we like it. I love having everything linked to the magic band. No keeping up with park and FP tickets and it saves a ton of walking (very important to us old folks). No complaints here just having fun!:cool1:

Frankly this thread isn't helping anyone plan a trip either. I will say it again....

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.

If you want this place to be more "planny" and less negative, then post threads that actually help folks plan. Starting a thread simply to lecture those who do otherwise is completely counterproductive. Heck...FLOOD the board with planning posts and drive the others off the first page. Here are some ideas for you:

Best time of day to hit the mountains in MK?

Where to go first at rope drop?

Which way do you go around the park (clockwise or counter)?

Best streetmosphere act?

What's the best nighttime show at wdw?

How do I thank a CM?

Best transportation offering at WDW?

How does photopass work?

Where is the best place to watch the parade from?

And no, I don't care to start any of these threads myself because I do find value in the negative posts as well. I don't look at Disney through rose-colored glasses. For me, it's good to know the potential pitfalls so I can work to avoid them myself or be prepared for the possibility of it.

29490-Picard-applause-clapping-gif-s5nz.gif

Well said. Every time someone complains about the content on the board I want to say "so start your own threads, quit demanding other people do it for you."

You also gave some excellent examples of helpful planning topics. A few people have tried just starting "positive" threads, but while they made everybody happy who has FP+ fatigue and wants more pixie dust on the board, they didn't really help anybody with planning either.

I'm with disneybass on this; we've had 4 trips with the fp+ and magic bands with no problems. Tried out new things- fp for Fantasmic, Wishes, etc; all good. I don't miss having a lanyard around my neck!

Now in a Disney drought for a bit; won't be back until September.

I think the OP had a good intent, wasn't bashing anyone for not liking it and wasn't making sarcastic remarks about people who do.

I'm not saying people shouldn't post their problems, they should. I don't like the tiering part and I definitely don't like the not being able to hop part.
I have offered advice on how I think I will be able to handle it and make the most of the trip.
A lot of people offer advice like that but it gets skipped over by this - the posters who come in with their "jokes" and sarcastic comments they make on every thread, and then other posters who follow behind them and quote their posts with - :thumbsup2:rotfl::lmao: - every time. It's on every fast pass thread, whether it was praising it or not.
I'm still reading lame one-liners reference shoveling snow.

That is what is getting really, really old. I had started out initially agreeing with some of the complaints, but then post after post of ridiculing, then playing martyr, then patting themselves on the backs for thinking they are all in on a joke no one else gets.

Seriously. Now, please use me as the butt of your disdain, I can handle it.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter