Truman Capote, This surprised me.

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
I have always associated Truman Capote with the screen play of "In Cold Blood", and that type of movie. I was surprised to hear that he wrote "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with Audrey Hepburn.

He wrote the original story, not the script. He sold the rights and the script was written by George Axelrod, IIRC. Capote wasn't particularly pleased with the script, the casting (he wanted Monroe), or much else about the movie, really. The story and the movie have some pretty significant differences.

He also wrote "A Christmas Memory": "it's fruitcake weather, fetch the buggy".... love that story.:)

if you read capote's "breakfast at tiffany's", the characters have so much more depth and backstory vs. what ultimatly was portrayed in the movie. but given when the movie was produced, there was no way any studio would have bankrolled a flick where the female lead was a prostitute, and the main male role a homosexual.

I knew that. What I didn't know before the movie was that Capote and Harper Lee were close friends. Who would have thought that?

There has been some speculation that he was actually the author of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and that Harper Lee was more of an influence. No way to ever know for sure.

I remember that as a young child.....and I mean YOUNG, as in preschool and early elementary....when Truman Capote would come on a talk show (which he loved to do) I would stop dead in my tracks to watch him. popcorn:: Even as a child, I knew this was someone who could tell stories like no one else. :lmao: I'm sure I didn't grasp the actual meaning of most of what was coming out of his mouth, but what I did know was that his personality was captivating. I just loved to listen to him, to watch him.....There was NO ONE like him.

There has been some speculation that he was actually the author of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and that Harper Lee was more of an influence. No way to ever know for sure.

Wow - that's an interesting theory. It would explain why she never wrote another book...

I have always associated Truman Capote with the screen play of "In Cold Blood", and that type of movie. I was surprised to hear that he wrote "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with Audrey Hepburn.

Must be an age thing. I'm 53 and Breakfast at Tiffany's is the first work I think of when someone mentions Truman Capote.

No, this is wrong. The speculation was that Harper Lee wrote "In Cold Blood". She did much of the research for the book. Harper Lee did write other stories, before TKAM.

There has been some specu lation that he was actually the author of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and that Harper Lee was more of an influence. No way to ever know for sure.

It is also rumored that Harper Lee did most of the research and some of the writing of "In Cold Blood." Who knows? :)

I believe that Harper Lee wrote TKMB. Capote would never have let her take credit for something he wrote. He was a kind of strange little man.

Wow - that's an interesting theory. It would explain why she never wrote another book...

Many authors have only one -either only one famous, or only one ever written- novel. There's Margaret Mitchell, for example.

The speculation that TC wrote TKAM came because some minor similarities in vocabulary patterns and such, but that isn't surprising considering they virtually grew up together and so had similar culture, influences, etc.

As a PP said, Dill was inspired by TC. But Dill is a minor character compared to Scout and Jem. The story is clearly told by the girl's POV; a girl who happened to idolize her lawyer father, just as Harper Lee did with her own dad.

Those who speculate that TC wrote the novel never give a reason why. Why would TV do such a thing? Why would he give away such masterful work and never get credit for it?

I personally have always found that rumor absurd

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter