True or not? Spectromagic Dead?

Destination America (A discovery channel I didn't know I had) ran a Disney travel week during primetime last week. One of the episodes had a segment on Spectromagic. Disney might want to partner with them to update the shows since Spectro isn't likely to make a return any time soon.

I was fortunate enough to have snagged good quality videos of our last visits to WDW where Spectromagic was still running, so that will be a "nice to have." I'm not a huge parade person, but its sad to hear they've let the thing simply ruin due to inattentiveness. That's a waste of time, money, and resources, even if they never brought back the parade itself. Just so "unDisney."

It appears that the general theme of information surrounding the apparent demise of this particular parade is that the floats were not maintained properly, essentially allowed to ruin/rust beyond repair. I can't help but wonder if this lack of maintenance, which I suspect was discovered some months ago, was all part of the broader issues we've heard of (here and on other boards) that led to the forcing out of the WDW parks president a few weeks (months?) ago? Not saying this issue was a specific cause, but merely another instance of some broader issues indicating managerial neglect.

I mean, we've all heard stories about at least a perception of a drop in park maintenance, food quality at restaurants, customer service, attendance concerns at Epcot, the well-documented DTD problems, so part of me just wonders if the lazy oversight that led to the Spectromagic floats just being wasted/allowed to ruin just isn't another symptom of that broader management failure issue...

Oh Mylanta! Was that a FANTASIA FLOAT?!?!?!?! SO sad I never got to see this!! MSEP seems to be the exact same now as it was when I was a kid (or at least what I remember) I love and hate that it seems the same... maybe an update with some more movies thrown in? From what I have seen/read Spectro seemed to incorporate more movies & themes than MSEP

It wasn't just a Fantasia float, it was a whole section of the parade with the music from Fantasia. There was a Pastorial symphony float with Diana shooting her bow, the flying Pegasuses with moving wings. Then there was a Dance of the Hours float with Ben Ali Gator holding and spinning Hycynthia Hippo and the rest of the float were CMs dressed as Ostrich ballerinas. Finally there was the Night on Bald Mountain float which towered over the crowd. The mountain would spout steam and then the mountain would transform into Chernabog. A truly unbelieveable float. The length of the float would triple as the mountain became his wings with his eyes learing at you while gripping the lip of the mountain.
IMHO the best float Disney has ever built.

It wasn't just a Fantasia float, it was a whole section of the parade with the music from Fantasia. There was a Pastorial symphony float with Diana shooting her bow, the flying Pegasuses with moving wings. Then there was a Dance of the Hours float with Ben Ali Gator holding and spinning Hycynthia Hippo and the rest of the float were CMs dressed as Ostrich ballerinas. Finally there was the Night on Bald Mountain float which towered over the crowd. The mountain would spout steam and then the mountain would transform into Chernabog. A truly unbelieveable float. The length of the float would triple as the mountain became his wings with his eyes learing at you while gripping the lip of the mountain.

Chernabog was the business.
That is all.

I was fortunate enough to have snagged good quality videos of our last visits to WDW where Spectromagic was still running, so that will be a "nice to have." I'm not a huge parade person, but its sad to hear they've let the thing simply ruin due to inattentiveness. That's a waste of time, money, and resources, even if they never brought back the parade itself. Just so "unDisney."

It appears that the general theme of information surrounding the apparent demise of this particular parade is that the floats were not maintained properly, essentially allowed to ruin/rust beyond repair. I can't help but wonder if this lack of maintenance, which I suspect was discovered some months ago, was all part of the broader issues we've heard of (here and on other boards) that led to the forcing out of the WDW parks president a few weeks (months?) ago? Not saying this issue was a specific cause, but merely another instance of some broader issues indicating managerial neglect.

I mean, we've all heard stories about at least a perception of a drop in park maintenance, food quality at restaurants, customer service, attendance concerns at Epcot, the well-documented DTD problems, so part of me just wonders if the lazy oversight that led to the Spectromagic floats just being wasted/allowed to ruin just isn't another symptom of that broader management failure issue...

They let Rivercountry fall into horrible disrepair, so I'm not surprised:(

I loved MSEP as a kid in the late 70's/early 80's and also saw Spectromagic numerous times in the 90's/2000's. The last time was 2009 and we were there in 2011 and were surprised when the MSEP was there. But, until I watched videos, the only change I could really remember was the music. I loved them both. I wish they would alternate them.

I really enjoyed Spectomagic when I saw it. I'd like them to bring it back soon, and while they are at it, change back MSEP back to its original version...can't stand the new one.

On the KTTK Tour. They were under cover off stage in the same covered shelters in the picture and in another warehouse type building directly next to it. If I recall correctly, it was behind PotC, but across the little road. We accessed the backstage area where the parade comes out next to Splash Mtn. They looked fine then.

If you ever have the opportunity, take the tour, it was very interesting.

I saw them in the exact same location in Nov 2011 - in the backstage area near Splash Mtn. It's the same area where they maintain the MSEP floats - they were under a roof with battery chargers attached. When we went into the building where the Spectro floats were, our guide was fairly excited because the floats had been covered up in months prior, but had recently been uncovered and the guide thought maintenance was taking place on them.

I love both parades and wish they could run both. :goodvibes

Oh Stop! I can't handle the awesomeness I will never see! LOVE Fantasia!!

The youtube posted earlier is a halfway decent representation.

Wow, just watched it. I only like it about 10000 times better than MSEP... and it only has all my favorites - Gus Gus, Flora, Fuana, Merryweather and the amazing Fantasia ones... I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy it in real life anyway... would have been crying too hard with glee! :rotfl2: WHY does MSEP seem so sad to me now?

Though MSEP was the first night parade I saw, Spectro will always be my favorite. I was a PAC cast member during my CP and so I have seen it dozens of times. While I(and many of my former CM friends) would love for it's return, from everything I hear from my friends there, the chances really are slim. I am just glad my friend would give me the old bulb covers that we found that fell of the floats(those little plastic things that go on Christmas tree lights, I don't know the real name of them ha ha). It was kind of our inside joke that they would be worth a fortune someday...but maybe we weren't so far off! :rotfl: But really I wouldn't give them up, they are a treasure to me of my favorite parade and time there.

This is good news in a way, Spectro Magic was running since 91 and WDW was long overdo for a new night time parade. Now that they are finally getting a new day parade a new night parade could follow which would be fantastic. It would be great for them to get something up to date like Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxWf57HAso

Saw this posted over at WDWMagic. I trust this poster since he has posted accurate backstage information in the past:

"I have the unfortunate duty of reporting the official death of Spectromagic.. There are 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units.. I believe at this point the only surviving unit is Chernobog... Which may only be temporary as they are removing equipment from the unit..

I personally witnessed a forklift being used to crush the pile of rubble down into the dumpsters.. Twisted metal and all... I couldn't believe my eyes.. It was all backstage, so no pictures... I couldn't take pictures anyway... it's like taking photos at a funeral.. this is one of those times where I wish you could 'dislike' my post."

Saw this posted over at WDWMagic. I trust this poster since he has posted accurate backstage information in the past:

"I have the unfortunate duty of reporting the official death of Spectromagic.. There are 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units.. I believe at this point the only surviving unit is Chernobog... Which may only be temporary as they are removing equipment from the unit..

I personally witnessed a forklift being used to crush the pile of rubble down into the dumpsters.. Twisted metal and all... I couldn't believe my eyes.. It was all backstage, so no pictures... I couldn't take pictures anyway... it's like taking photos at a funeral.. this is one of those times where I wish you could 'dislike' my post."

Wow, crazy! I can't believe they wouldn't try to salvage some of it.

That just makes me wanna cry.:(

My only hope is that the final death of SpectroMagic is that they are about to invest in something shiny and new.

Of course I'd also hope that Shiny and New could rotate in and out with MSEP, which ideally they would have done with Spectromagic since MSEP returned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter