True or False...a child can use a parent's FP?

tj4disney

Mouseketeer
False, according to a front desk person at Beach Club. My wife asked for a room key for various reasons, and in the course of conversation mentioned one of the reasons was that the kids could use her FP sometimes ( she doesn't always go to the parks with us). The gal said, "You can't do that. That's not the way the system is supposed to work". They wouldn't give my wife an extra key.

BTW, we have been letting the kids use our FPs without incident.

Only if you give them your magic band. Obviously they will not provide you with an extra key for that purpose, but you can trade bands in the park, or bring along an extra band that is assigned to her if she doesn't intend to come to the park. (If you only have one band per person you will need some other way to get another device linked to her account - likely by not telling anybody that you want it for that reason)

I get that they are not going to help you set it up so you can do that, but you can.

Last edited:
Yep, as mentioned previously, you can. We switched bands for many rides last trip, and we have some FPs scheduled for this upcoming one that we know we'll do the same. It's not cheating, you're still using them same amount of FPs that your family is allowed. My husband really "loved" wearing my pink magic band....

Guessing the CM was taking it from the approach that you may not get an 'extra room key' (MB equivalent and/or MB) to have someone else use it for FP+.

Your wife could give her magic band to one of the kids to use the fastpass, but I'm pretty sure she would have to enter the park with it.

You absolutely cannot get an extra room key.

You CAN have someone else use your passes but only if they borrow your device. I think the issue here is having a separate device issued to a specific person just for the purpose of having others use their passes while the guest actually assigned to those passes doesn't go anywhere near the park. The CM is correct in that the system isn't intended to work that way. They'll never know about it if you have 2 bands linked to 1 person, but asking for an extra room key for that purpose may not work.

I don't know how strict they are supposed to be with issuing extra keys, but unless you lock yourself out or something I have heard it is difficult to be issued an extra key just because you want one for convenience or something.

Last edited:
that could be the reason...you are in effect transferring a non-transferrable commodity (park admission) by letting someone else use your MDX account. I also don't have issues with using someone else's fast passes...I think the issue is with asking Disney to provide you with the method to share an account that is supposed to be yours and yours alone. It's not quite the same as giving someone your magic band or ticket card.

We did it all week last week. My parents and aunt didn't go on several of the bigger coasters and my sons used their FP+. Went through the FP lines with 2 bands on their arms. Used 1 band, then immediately went back and used the other one. No questions asked. I saw one lady that had a couple of bands and when she went to scan it, the FP showed up as already used. The CM told her to try the other one - that she'd already used that one. They absolutely don't care.

To clarify ( and maybe the CM didn't understand this, although I think she did)...we weren't asking for an extra MB or anything like that. Basically just a "dumb" card that could get her into the room while we were at a park.

To clarify ( and maybe the CM didn't understand this, although I think she did)...we weren't asking for an extra MB or anything like that. Basically just a "dumb" card that could get her into the room while we were at a park.
They cannot issue extra room keys.

Your wife was asking for something that could not be provided.

Last edited:

Funny, I just had no trouble getting extra room keys from the Poly during Memorial Day weekend. Our magic bands would not work to open the doors to our villas, so the front desk issued us 2 extra plastic key cards.

Funny, I just had no trouble getting extra room keys from the Poly during Memorial Day weekend. Our magic bands would not work to open the doors to our villas, so the front desk issued us 2 extra plastic key cards.
That's because your magic bands weren't working properly. They weren't "extra keys," they were your only keys.

Your wife could give her magic band to one of the kids to use the fastpass, but I'm pretty sure she would have to enter the park with it.

FPs can be used at the FP tapstiles even if the ticket linked to the MB has not been used for park entry.
The FP tapstiles only access FP data and park entry/ticket usage is not checked.

Tickets are non-transferable, so yes, it does violate the rules as the FP is attached to the ticket. However, I don't see much wrong with this.

Yes, tickets are not transferable- but they are not using her ticket to get into the parks. If they just walk in with her MB, then it will work for FP+. There is a HUGE difference between using a ticket that is not your own to get into the parks, and using a FP someone else scheduled.

I have two kids that can't ride the "big" rides, so I'll book 7DMT on the big kids' bands and Space or Splash on the the little kids' bands. We just switch bands temporarily for the big kids to use the FP.

They cannot issue extra room keys.

Your wife was asking for something that could not be provided.

That's because your magic bands weren't working properly. They weren't "extra keys," they were your only keys.

Sorry, that just doesn't make sense. Pretty sure housekeeping still uses a key, and if they can handle cards there's no reason they can't issue one. What if you couldn't use a MB for whatever reason?

Sorry, that just doesn't make sense. Pretty sure housekeeping still uses a key, and if they can handle cards there's no reason they can't issue one. What if you couldn't use a MB for whatever reason?
It's not that they don't posses the technology to produce keys, it's that they don't issue extra keys to guests. It's to prevent you from having extra people staying in the room and giving them keys. It's a common policy in hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter