*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

We ... ended up with an elevated rear living instead. It comes with a 20 foot awning,
We saw that Cougar at the RV show in January. All that basement storage under the LR is great. I was trying to figure out if I could use it for DS' bunk room. :-)

My new 5er has a 20 ft awning too. Not sure I'll know what to do with all the space. My old 5er only had a 13 ft one.

j

With the Flying J RV card there was no minimum to hit the semi pumps, just a bit different in process. And most of the time at them you didn't get a receipt. We had to hit a couple on the way down and back at the RV lanes were all full or in VA there was gasoline tanker filling the gas station up and was in the way.

With the Flying J RV card there was no minimum to hit the semi pumps, just a bit different in process.
Your FJ loyalty (not credit) card activated the semi pumps right away? Ours with the race team didn't. We had to go inside and give them the card to scan/swipe until we had purchased 500 gallons before we could use it at the pump to turn them on.

Anyone used their Good Sam card at a Pilot/FJ? Does it turn on the pump without going inside AND automatically give you the discount?

j

Your FJ loyalty (not credit) card activated the semi pumps right away? Ours with the race team didn't. We had to go inside and give them the card to scan/swipe until we had purchased 500 gallons before we could use it at the pump to turn them on.

Anyone used their Good Sam card at a Pilot/FJ? Does it turn on the pump without going inside AND automatically give you the discount?

j

Yes I used the Pilot/FJ credit card, along with the goodsam membership and I used it once or twice at the fuel pumps before the trip, all smaller amounts. Then during the trip used it at both the RV pumps and Semi pumps, semi pump had to hit the tractor button, skip the DEF and then enter my control number and filler up.
Had no problems using it and never had to go inside. And with the discount being off of the cash price, can't beat the deal. Of course we would have paid it off at the end of the month even on a regular credit card, so having to pay it off monthly is not an issue for us.

We used just the goodsam card for gas last year and never had to go inside, just swipe before then used credit card. But with the Loyalty card this year made a huge difference, up to 13 cents per gallon in reality, because you are getting the discount off of the cash price, not paying the credit price which is about 6 or 7 cents higher.

I usually pay cash to get the cheaper price. With the auxillary tank I thankfully can get about 650 miles between fills, which is usually a day's drive and I am ready to rest. I stick to the bigger truck stops and use the big truck lanes as I have found too often that the RV lanes are either not friendly for longer campers or already occupied and no where for me to park out of the way to wait for them to open.

So how much of an advantage is there at FJ/Pilot with the loyalty card and Goodsam card for us regular Gas users?

I'd love to have diesel, but it's hard to justify the cost at this point.

RV Plus (Charge card) all discounts off cash price:

$.10 Propane

Good Sam

$.04 on Gas
$.06 on Diesel

Good Sam
Deluxe Member

$.05 on Gas
$.07 on Diesel

Good Sam
Life Member

$.06 on Gas
$.08 on Diesel

Good Sam
Elite Member

$.07 on Gas
$.09 on Diesel

Good Sam Swipe and Save (discount off price based on payment method (cash or Credit)):

$.05 propane
$.03 Gas or Diesel

I was not a huge fan of the tan colored campers that was becoming the norm. But then I saw one behind a nice shiny black truck. Boom!

Have a great time. Wish we were going that soon.

I usually pay cash to get the cheaper price. With the auxillary tank I thankfully can get about 650 miles between fills, which is usually a day's drive and I am ready to rest. I stick to the bigger truck stops and use the big truck lanes as I have found too often that the RV lanes are either not friendly for longer campers or already occupied and no where for me to park out of the way to wait for them to open.

Hopefully will have an auxillary tank installed by the time we decide to do our next trip. New job the opportunity for some OT and can make some plans happen.

Chris I know you never made it by my site. But my tank is a 45 gallon with tool box combo all aluminum. Cost me around 700 and the gravity fill kit is another 70 bucks. You can get up to 50 gallon with the tool box, but larger then that they go back to square tanks or the tanks start to get very tall.

Chris I know you never made it by my site. But my tank is a 45 gallon with tool box combo all aluminum. Cost me around 700 and the gravity fill kit is another 70 bucks. You can get up to 50 gallon with the tool box, but larger then that they go back to square tanks or the tanks start to get very tall.

Saw yours when we were getting ready to leave, and I liked the way you tank and toolbox was set up. And well from our distance another 45 gal would be more than enough. Figured the numbers from this trip the other night and it cost us 350 bucks in fuel round trip this year. We were very happy with that number overall.

I'm a big auxillary tank fan. I have one in my F350 with gravity feed as well. Its big but doesn't take up enough space to be a problem for the camper.

So how do I get an Aux tank that won't keep me from using my truck.... well.... as a truck? I get lumber, Coal, Gravel, etc.... and since I have the short bed (6.5 feet). Putting a tank in the bed or with a tool box (which could be useful) poses many concerns for me. Is it easy to take out (empty of course) if I need the space for something else or is it kind of a permanent install?

What about a tonneau or truck caps? How are they impacted? Is it possible to get an integrated under body tank to increase the capacity without spending a small fortune?

So how do I get an Aux tank that won't keep me from using my truck.... well.... as a truck? ...What about a tonneau or truck caps? How are they impacted?
Paul,

Here is a pic of mine. 60 gallons, no tool box, but I can slide lumber under and roll the tonneau closed if I need. We fab'd a mount out of some angle iron sitting around the race shop, but any metal shop could make something similar fairly cheap.

20160304_111324_zpsivwln5id.jpg~original

j

Chris - you are right, forgot about that. It is a great little setup. I have more then enough room for tow straps, cargo straps, washer fluid bottles, 2 hitches, jumper cables, and several clevises and other rigging pieces. My fuel burn was about 360 round trip and I got home with 3/4 of a tank and have yet to fill it yet.

With a short bed you are going to lose space behind the hitch (if you have a 5th wheel.) I have an 8' bed, but even for me when I have to load stuff it just either goes behind the tank or if its long enough on top of the tank and tailgate. You could set it to be removable, mine would mean removing 4 bolts to get the toolbox combo out and come up with a good way to plug the gravity fill line. They also make lower profile ones that stay below the bedrail so you can continue to use a tonneau if you wish. Only downside of a cap is access to fill the tank. If you want to expand the frame mounted tank, look into titan fuel tanks, but try not to get sticker shock. For my 2012 F350 CC long bed its 1500 for the 50 gallon and 1700 for the 65 gallon. A 50 gallon for a 2011-2016 Ford short bed is 1433.00 MSRP.

What I like about my setup was when I sold my 2006 and bought the 2012, I just transferred the tank over. Not to mention the costs savings over the mid ship mounted tanks. If I had a titan, it would mean buying another tank for the new truck.

Getting creative like J did is another option, I used to have a tonneau that fit over the tank, then I went 3 years of it being rolled up so I decided not to buy one for this truck.

You could always get a Titan tank. I had one three trucks ago.

It replaces your stock tank with a larger capacity tank. I think I went from 35 gallons to around 60 gallons. But that's a lot of money for around 80% more fuel.

So how do I get an Aux tank that won't keep me from using my truck.... well.... as a truck? I get lumber, Coal, Gravel, etc.... and since I have the short bed (6.5 feet). Putting a tank in the bed or with a tool box (which could be useful) poses many concerns for me. Is it easy to take out (empty of course) if I need the space for something else or is it kind of a permanent install?

What about a tonneau or truck caps? How are they impacted? Is it possible to get an integrated under body tank to increase the capacity without spending a small fortune?

Paul, you my friend are out of luck as a gasser. I believe DOT will not allow gasoline to be used in Aux tanks. You would have to go with a replacement tank from Titan that replaces your stock tank with a larger one.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:image.jpg

And my DH says our golf cart won't fit in the back of our truck.....he needs lessons from this guy!

I have a 93 gal auxiliary tank in my truck. It's gravity fed, but I am planning on installing a transfer pump wire to my up fitter switches. With both tanks I can make it from S. AL. to the Fort and back home but I'm running on fumes when I pull up in the driveway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter