Trouble fitting on rides?

jennie-pooh

GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!
DH and I have lost a lot of weight, but are still working on it. We are currently about a size 24/26/28 depending on store (me) 48 waist (him). Does anyone have any insight into fitting on various rides at DL/DCA? We leave on Thursday and I really hope we don't have too many issues.

One ride that come to mind that you will have trouble with fitting into in the same row is Mulholland Madness at DCA. Also some rides at DL are like Mr. Toad's, Alice which one can go in front and other in the back, same with Snow White.

Although Disney is extremely size-friendly, there's one that gave my hubby trouble (somewhere around 320 and 5'10" at the time), and that was DCA's Maliboomer. It has shoulder harness things, and those would have been fine except that there's a strap that connects the bottom of the U of the harness to the seat, and they couldn't get that strap to connect. BUT hubby's build is that of a retired sumo wrestler, and he has a VERY broad back with quite a bit of extra padding on it. So he's very far out from the back of the seat thanks to the shape of his back, and combined with his belly it just couldn't work. The CMs were very kind to him, and even though the situation embarrassed him, THEY did not embarrass him at all.

But that's all, and unless one of you has the same "big back" situation, I doubt it would happen to you.

That said, there are those that he feels less comfy in. It's hard for him to ride Astro Orbiters with our 3 year old, b/c it's harder to get in and out with DS still in the vehicle, and DS can't get in and out safely by himself. Dumbo is uncomfortable for him with DS (though when both DH and I were trimmer and DS was only 1, the three of us went on it). When riding the Pooh ride, DH avoids the very front seats b/c they seem to be just a bit smaller.

But those are just comfort, not inability to ride.

The CMs have always been very gracious about our family of 3 taking two seating areas, one for me and DS and one for DH. They don't even have to know we're together, just tell them how many are in your party, if you wish to take two seating areas on a ride like Pooh, etc.

I'm 6'1" / 225.

My brother is 6'3" / 300+.

The only ride-issue we ever had was Pirates. We were both sitting in the very front of the boat and when we got to one of the drops the front of the boat grounded out. A worker came over the speaker and tried to get everyone to rock back and forth, but it didn't work. A couple workers showed up and helped push us over the edge.

I'm 6'1" / 225.

My brother is 6'3" / 300+.

The only ride-issue we ever had was Pirates. We were both sitting in the very front of the boat and when we got to one of the drops the front of the boat grounded out. A worker came over the speaker and tried to get everyone to rock back and forth, but it didn't work. A couple workers showed up and helped push us over the edge.

That is horrible! I would have been mortified. Once our boat came extremely close to bottoming out and I thought I was about to die! My wife and I are both 300+lbs.

DH and I have lost a lot of weight, but are still working on it. We are currently about a size 24/26/28 depending on store (me) 48 waist (him). Does anyone have any insight into fitting on various rides at DL/DCA? We leave on Thursday and I really hope we don't have too many issues.

My wife and I wear a 24/26 depending and are about 330lbs and 5'8" (we look like twins! haha)

We have fit on everything we've been on, but some rides we had to ride on seperately.

What we've ridden on together:
Pirates (I've always tried to get a middle row- most cast members will know to do this, but if they try to get you in the last row, or the front row- don't do it! We totally almost bottomed out a boat by doing this)
Haunted Mansion
The train (hehe)
Indiana Jones- this was a tight fit and my thighs hurt BAD when I got off. But I thought it was worth it to go on just once! If you go on it, pull the seat belt out before you sit down to make things easier!
Safari cruise

What we've ridden on together, but either in different cars, or a different row(for these when they ask how many riders, we say 1+1):
Snow White
Pinocchio
mr. toads wild ride
Peter Pan (we actually might have both fit, but didn't want to risk it!)
splash mountain
matterhorn
thunder mountain railroad
winnie the pooh

We have seasons passes and usually only go for the night, so we haven't been on everything yet. I want to go on nemo, but I've heard that the spiral stairs into the sub is not pooh sized friendly.

I also recommend going through the ride turnstyles slowly, some are a tight squeeze for us, and if we just jam through there, it hurts!

I've heard conflicted reports on space mountain. Some say its size friendly, others say it isn't. I just haven't bothered with it because I'd rather not get there then not fit on it!

I've found that Disney is VERY fat friendly, and very accomadating!

two years ago, the last time we went, me, my mom and my sisters were all pooh sized, rannging from a 24 to a 30+ and the only ride we had trouble with is the orange zinger in CA, and due to large bust the baliboomer, but other than that, we fit in everything, we may have felt a little crammed but avoided any embarressment and enjoyed the ride none the less, considering even if it is a tight squeeze, the rides last only a few minutes...but since we havent been back since nemo i cant say for sure, ive heard it is a tight squeeze...I am going back 2/29-3/7 so if you arent planning on going before then, i can update you when i get home if youd like!

I have a very large DH and his primary issues have been height related rather than weight. Disney knows we're all fat. :rotfl: Take two rows if the CM offers. They are generally doing so because you will be much more comefortable that way.

Thanks so much for the input! I was having nightmares that neither of us would fit on anything, leaving our poor kids to brave it alone or not ride at all!

Kimberly...we'll be there Feb28-March 4 :)

"pull the seat belt out before you sit down to make things easier!"

That's actually good advice for almost anyone, on any ride with a seatbelt!

Subs...I actually took some pictures for just this sort of thing! I haven't a clue if they will help. But maybe they will.

47b8df06b3127cceb5701fa8dae500000026108CZMmjFq1bC

47b8dc05b3127cceb61dfbe5f7d500000026108CZMmjFq1bC

47b8dc05b3127cceb61dfbedf7dd00000026108CZMmjFq1bC

47b8df06b3127cceb5701f90dadd00000026108CZMmjFq1bC

Once you're inside each seat flips down with no armrests, so you can squeeze in with and against your family if you wish. But then most people lean forward anyway, so really you mainly end up with hips touching other people, since the leaning forwards sort of makes your upper body a bit smaller. At least that's how we experienced it!

I am a size 26/28...and I'm 5'8". I had a tight fit in Mulholland Madness, Space Mtn (the front of the car worked better because of the padding on the front of the car - just padded my knee right) - that was more legroom - rather than b/c of my weight. I didn't attempt the Maliboomer or Orange Stinger. Didn't have problems on any rides though - as far as not fitting. Disney is very great about that!!

Thanks for starting this thread and for all who've answered -- I was ready to ask the same questions -- we're going to DL for the first time in April and I wasn't having as much luck finding this info as I had for WDW!

My DW has a conference in Anaheim and I'm going to tag along; after the conference we'll stay for a few more days.

Ali

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter