Tropicante in Costa Maya

I'm really thinking about going here. Is it ok for small children? Mine are 6 and 3.

TIA
I would love the answer to this as well. Is Tropicante basically just a restaurant on the beach? What kind of activities for a 4 year old? Sounds nice!

I would love the answer to this as well. Is Tropicante basically just a restaurant on the beach? What kind of activities for a 4 year old? Sounds nice!

yes it is pretty much a restaurant/beach bar has lounger on the beach, umbrella's, tables and chairs, along with $25.00 for 1 hr. massages. as for a 4 yr old i would say anything you do at the beach would be fine just remember the sun screen.

we felt very safe there as well

check out steves web page lots of good info

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

when we were there in 2011 dw had the massage, i had 2 buckets of beer, we shared an order of onion rings along with mini burrito's with salsa total spent with a tips was around $50.00 for the 2 of us very inexpensive as well

It is a great beach for ALL ages Nice soft sand to build a sand castle.:thumbsup2

can anyone tell me what the prices are like? it looks interesting but i hate spending tons of money on food when its included in the cruise. the massages' look interesting......and inexpensive :thumbsup2

can anyone tell me what the prices are like? it looks interesting but i hate spending tons of money on food when its included in the cruise. the massages' look interesting......and inexpensive :thumbsup2

Go to post 22 on this thread and click on the link, the Tropicante has their menu with prices published. FYI the food prices are cheap and the quality exceptional good.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

There is a link to the menu on their website. Looks like it's extremely affordable. We looked at this, and the all inclusive one. This one looks much better for our needs, as we have small children, and we're light drinkers.

Go to post 22 on this thread and click on the link, the Tropicante has their menu with prices published. FYI the food prices are cheap and the quality exceptional good.

thanks, i have been at that site 4 times and never noticed the menu. they really are good prices! i think i will for sure have to go there. it gives me a reason to get off the boat for a bit.
thanks to everyone for bringing this to my attention... :grouphug:

We just visited the Tropicante while on the Fantasy in June & we would do it again for a nice, inexpensive beach day. The Tropicante is a little open-air restaurant across a small road/walkway from the beach. They seem to cater to tourists who want beach service, since there were only a couple of actual tables inside the restaurant.

Pros: Close to port, food & drink good & inexpensive, Steve was very nice & personable, restaurant & restrooms were clean, soft white sand, beach lounge chairs & umbrellas were provided, service was not pushy (in fact quite the opposite), rentals for jet skis, boats, etc. all nearby.

Cons: Area of beach that Tropicante has is small so make sure you reserve ahead of time for chairs, food took forever so order long before you are ready to eat, locals bombard you with sales.

We just visited the Tropicante while on the Fantasy in June & we would do it again for a nice, inexpensive beach day. The Tropicante is a little open-air restaurant across a small road/walkway from the beach. They seem to cater to tourists who want beach service, since there were only a couple of actual tables inside the restaurant.

Pros: Close to port, food & drink good & inexpensive, Steve was very nice & personable, restaurant & restrooms were clean, soft white sand, beach lounge chairs & umbrellas were provided, service was not pushy (in fact quite the opposite), rentals for jet skis, boats, etc. all nearby.

Cons: Area of beach that Tropicante has is small so make sure you reserve ahead of time for chairs, food took forever so order long before you are ready to eat, locals bombard you with sales.

All eight of us ordered at the same time and it was 15 min. max:thumbsup2

All eight of us ordered at the same time and it was 15 min. max:thumbsup2

There were 4 of us & it took about an hour & there were 5 friends with us that ordered separately & it took them well over an hour to get their food. Maybe they were just having a bad day? :confused3

There were 4 of us & it took about an hour & there were 5 friends with us that ordered separately & it took them well over an hour to get their food. Maybe they were just having a bad day? :confused3

So sorry to hear this, please give them a second chance I bet it was an over site and not the norm.:thumbsup2

We just got an email back from Steve letting us know that they'll be saving us a spot on Nov. 13th.

Most of the reviews have been good and we're looking forward to just hanging out.

We too had a lovey visit to Costa Maya in January, 2012, with our two boys 6 and 4 yrs. The beach was clean, the sand was soft and the water was calm. There are reports that the Hard Rock Cafe is closing, but Steve will be able to give good advice by email on where to catch a cab. The other thing is he assured us all the drinks were made with treated water.
I would definitely book some chairs here again if we return.

Are there shops, other restaurants, or further points of interest within walking distance in the area around Tropicante?

We were there in November. We were a group of 10 ranging from 1yr to 75yrs. Everyone had an AMAZING time and say it was the highlight of the cruise. The owner is great and was friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

We have been to Costa Maya many times and it's one of our favorite ports. In the past we have gone to Tapas and had a good experience there too but the Tropicante is a better choice IMO. Just an all around relaxing stress free day. The rest of the group (with the exception of my mom) had never been there before. My mom hated the port until that day. We had drinks, lunch, massages and rented wave runners. The kids played in the sand and swam. My teenager pretty much laid in a chair submerged in the ocean and worked on her tan. There were zero complaints from anyone in our group that day.

I did miss the "memo" about not eating the dried plantains the locals walk around selling. They are actually really good but we were told after the fact that people often get sick from eating them due to how they are prepared. Luckily no one in our group of 10 got sick. We won't risk that again though.

Are there shops, other restaurants, or further points of interest within walking distance in the area around Tropicante?

tons of shops to walk to along the road just takes time to go thru them all and find what you may be looking for. as for restaurants i do not recall after eating at Tropicante didn't look for other food.

I didn't see the jet skis/waverunners listed on their website. Does anyone know if these are still available and the prices?

We are looking forward to visiting the Tropicante during our January cruise. How far in advance do we need to email Steve to reserve the beach chairs? Do we need to reserve massages too, or is that first come, first serve?

We are looking forward to visiting the Tropicante during our January cruise. How far in advance do we need to email Steve to reserve the beach chairs? Do we need to reserve massages too, or is that first come, first serve?

I always email 3-4 weeks in advance:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter