Tropicana recent check-in experience?

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
My parents are going to be staying at the Tropicana for the first time next month. They got a call yesterday saying to not check in until 4pm (the actual check-in time) or later since they have limited parking and have been reserving a portion for non-hotel guests. They will be driving from Northern CA and will have a car. They usually get to Anaheim about 12pm or so, so my Mom's idea was to drive to Simba and shop at DtD for a bit until closer to check-in time. Is the Simba lot a mess these days? I want to give them realistic expectations if so, but I haven't gone to the parks or DtD post-COVID.

Also, does anyone have recent experience of staying at the Tropicana with a car? Is the parking really that bad now?

My parents are going to be staying at the Tropicana for the first time next month. They got a call yesterday saying to not check in until 4pm (the actual check-in time) or later since they have limited parking and have been reserving a portion for non-hotel guests. They will be driving from Northern CA and will have a car. They usually get to Anaheim about 12pm or so, so my Mom's idea was to drive to Simba and shop at DtD for a bit until closer to check-in time. Is the Simba lot a mess these days? I want to give them realistic expectations if so, but I haven't gone to the parks or DtD post-COVID.

Also, does anyone have recent experience of staying at the Tropicana with a car? Is the parking really that bad now?

We stayed there May 2 and 3. I arrived at the hotel around 2 PM or so. Luckily they had a room ready for us and I got one of the 2 parking places that were empty. We'll be back at the end of June.

We stayed at the Tropicana last Fri-Sun. We arrived right around check-in time (4:00pm) and there were only a few open spots in the entire parking lot. I'm surprised they would let non-guests park there since it's so tight as it is. As a paying guest, I imagine they would find a place to park your car if the lot is full.

Anyone have experience with checking bags at the front desk at the Tropicana? We will be arriving around 10am next month and obviously can't check in until later. Assume they are still allowing you to check things at the front? We won't have a car so can't keep stuff in there.

This is the email they sent me for my upcoming stay. I took it to mean that more guests are driving as opposed to flying, so the parking is at full capacity.

Could the mention of local guests possibly confused them?

Screenshot_20210518-084116_Gmail.jpg

I've stayed there before when the hotel was fully booked, and one night we had to wait for someone to leave so we could take their spot. It didn't take too long. This was pre-COVID, so the valets were squeezing in cars at the time.

Anyone have experience with checking bags at the front desk at the Tropicana? We will be arriving around 10am next month and obviously can't check in until later. Assume they are still allowing you to check things at the front? We won't have a car so can't keep stuff in there.
I'll be checking in later this week and will try to remember to ask.

We just booked a trip for Spring Break next year. We are not staying at the Tropicana but the hotel we booked hotel already called us and asked if we would have a car and wanted to review the parking situation. We are out of state so flying and not worried about it. Hotel seemed almost relieved that we wouldn't have a car rental during our stay!

I'll be staying there at the end of June. I got the same notice. If I'm a paying guest they better have a spot for my car! Isn't that what the parking fee is for anyway? Obviously with the influx of drivers, they're racking in the fees where they can. It shouldn't be at the expense of their own guests.

Question about the Tropicana for anyone who has stayed there before. We'll be there at the end of July and we have a double queen with sleeper chair for the 5 of us. Whoever ends up sleeping on the sleeper chair, I've noticed it's incredibly close to the air conditioner.

Anyone who has slept on the sleeper chair in the middle of the summer, would you be able to comment if the air conditioner vent are directly on top of you when laying down on the sleeper chair or can you turn the vents up so the air does not come on you directly? Thanks for any feedback.

Also curious about this, our flight arrives early too so we'll be in a similar boat. I would imagine they'd still have this available? We've never stayed here before but the proximity was the selling point for me.

Also curious about this, our flight arrives early too so we'll be in a similar boat. I would imagine they'd still have this available? We've never stayed here before but the proximity was the selling point for me.

Worst case is we can just pay to store a luggage at the lockers in downtown Disney but it will be hassle to wheel around a large suitcase and get it through security. Normally I just take a carry on but we are going to the bay area first for a wedding and then to Anahiem. Spirit had a super cheap flight and it was just cheaper to check a bag than bring carry ons. And Southwest for the rest of the flights are obviously free checked luggage.

Also any know what the crib situation is like at the Tropicana? Our daughter will be about 1 when we visit and she will be fine with a pack and play or a crib. But should I call ahead and reserve one or just request one at check in?

Simba lot has not been crazy lately, in my experience. We live locally and have gone over for dinner in DTD twice in the last couple weeks and there were maybe 2-3 other cars going in at the same time. Easy parking, no line to get into DTD. One day was around 5:00 and the other was about 7:00.

Simba lot has not been crazy lately, in my experience. We live locally and have gone over for dinner in DTD twice in the last couple weeks and there were maybe 2-3 other cars going in at the same time. Easy parking, no line to get into DTD. One day was around 5:00 and the other was about 7:00.
Thanks for the insight on parking in Simba! That's really helpful.

Thanks to everyone else who responded about typical (and recent) check-ins at Tropicana! I really appreciate all your input.

We stayed at Tropicana a little over a week ago! We didn't have a car, but can confirm that the lot was very full.

For check-in, they will only allow one person representing their party in the lobby due to COVID-19.

They are doing luggage check! No problem at all with holding our bags on the day we checked-out.

Any advantages in requesting specific rooms at Tropicana, whether it's better to be on the first floor or second floor? I know they did renovations in recent years, are all their rooms renovated or do you have to request for those rooms when you first check in?

Also any feedback on the rooms AC unit during July/August and if the person sleeping on sleeper chair has the cold air blowing directly on them or can you push the AC unit vent to go upwards to not effect the person in the sleeper chair?

Any advantages in requesting specific rooms at Tropicana, whether it's better to be on the first floor or second floor? I know they did renovations in recent years, are all their rooms renovated or do you have to request for those rooms when you first check in?

Also any feedback on the rooms AC unit during July/August and if the person sleeping on sleeper chair has the cold air blowing directly on them or can you push the AC unit vent to go upwards to not effect the person in the sleeper chair?

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Regarding the a/c vent, I don't remember if it was moveable because we didnt try, but it's possible that you could move the sleeper chair to either be in front of the door or next to the bathroom. Next to the bathroom would block the whole walkway, but it would be better than having the a/c blow on you.

Just confirming what others have said...I asked when I checked in yesterday, and they're still doing bag check.

Question about the Tropicana for anyone who has stayed there before. We'll be there at the end of July and we have a double queen with sleeper chair for the 5 of us. Whoever ends up sleeping on the sleeper chair, I've noticed it's incredibly close to the air conditioner.

Anyone who has slept on the sleeper chair in the middle of the summer, would you be able to comment if the air conditioner vent are directly on top of you when laying down on the sleeper chair or can you turn the vents up so the air does not come on you directly? Thanks for any feedback.
Just checked now and the vents can't be moved. However, the king room I'm in has the sleeper on the opposite side of the bed from the AC, so I'm not sure if they have queen beds in this arrangement or it's something only available in a king room. The previous king room I stayed in had the sleeper next to the AC.20210521_133910.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter