Tropicana Inn - Review

Matrixleos

DIS Veteran
Couple of people asked for a recent review and we just checked in and wanted to give some feedback for those interested....

1) Is it close to the parks?
Extremely close, one of the closest Harbor locations to the Disneyland Esplanade. After check-in, we decided to explore DTD and literally took less than 5 minutes (caught the traffic light perfectly) from hotel/security checkpoint/esplanade.

2) Is it safe on the Harbor side walk?
My wife and I, along with our 3 kids are used to city life and perfectly safe for us. You will see some homeless people (one was camped in front of Best Western) but nothing too alarming.

There are also harmless street performers (guitar player) and street vendors (balloons and $1 drinks) but we never felt unsafe or at risk and I know that was a worry for a couple of people.

3) Can you see the Disneyland fireworks?
YES!!! Pleasantly surprised by this! You got a partial view on the first level (Cove side, opposite the Lobby) but if you go up to the 3rd floor, you got a perfect view of the fireworks and can see the tip top of the castle. We got back from DTD at 8:55pm and this was perfect timing.

4) What are the pool hours?
Front Desk said the pool will be open till 10pm.

5) How was the kitchen suites?
I'm in a standard room but spoke with another family and they said they are enjoying the kitchen. They said it's a decent size and they've used the electric stove several times for meals.

6) Is it noisy or loud?
Like most motel style hotels, sound carries and it can get a bit noisy at times. Here's an example, after exploring DTD and watching the fireworks on our first night. We decided to sleep early at 10pm and get a good night sleep before our first park day.

My family had no issues sleeping but I'm a very light sleeper and the noise of people returning from the park and having discussions near my room kept me awake for awhile. Especially as people were returning from the parks. It did finally get quite around midnight.

Hope this info helps and if anyone has any other questions about the Tropicana, please let me know?

FYI, several people have asked me if I'll be doing a Trip Report and 100% I'll do a in-depth detailed trip report when I get back home (2nd week of August).

Last edited:
Can you tell me what is the closet coffee place nearby? Is there coffee in the hotel? We need our caffeine before we get into the park. Thank you!

Can you tell me what is the closet coffee place nearby? Is there coffee in the hotel? We need our caffeine before we get into the park. Thank you!
There is coffee provided in the room, we were not a fan.

The Tropicana has a pretty good gift shop called The Cove. It has food and drink offerings similar to what a gas station mini-mart would offer.

The Cove also offers coffee in the morning, which was decent. As of July 29th, it opens at 7am each morning.

Thank you so much for the information! It sounds like it will be great for our November trip :)

There is coffee provided in the room, we were not a fan.

The Tropicana has a pretty good gift shop called The Cove. It has food and drink offerings similar to what a gas station mini-mart would offer.

The Cove also offers coffee in the morning, which was decent. As of July 29th, it opens at 7am each morning.

You're better off buying a prepackaged iced coffee can or even an energy drink..... that coffee can be rough!

McDonald's is within walking distance, if you're a fan of their coffee offerings (I'm not, but different strokes for different folks).

We loved the Tropicana. Stayed there for the first time late July and we are staying there again next week. Only minor complaint I had was we didn't really like cribs they provided for our 1 year old daughter. We might just bring our pack in play with us on the plane. But we haven't decided if our daughter is coming on the trip next week or if she is staying with grandpa and grandma this time. :rotfl2:

We loved the Tropicana. Stayed there for the first time late July and we are staying there again next week. Only minor complaint I had was we didn't really like cribs they provided for our 1 year old daughter. We might just bring our pack in play with us on the plane. But we haven't decided if our daughter is coming on the trip next week or if she is staying with grandpa and grandma this time. :rotfl2:
Oooh- mom & dad getaway trip! Don’t get me wrong, toddlers are adorable at DLR, but if you’re like most parents of little ones, you could really use a break. She’s still too young to know she’s missing out, and she’ll have a great time with the grandparents. Meanwhile you get couple’s time, without the stress of “is the baby hungry, wet, tired, hot, cranky…” and you can go on all the rides together you want, and enjoy some lovely (and uninterrupted!) meals together. Highly recommend.

I vote leave her home. ;)

Although my 1.5 wouldn’t have it. 😂

I vote leave her home. ;)

Although my 1.5 wouldn’t have it. 😂

Oooh- mom & dad getaway trip! Don’t get me wrong, toddlers are adorable at DLR, but if you’re like most parents of little ones, you could really use a break. She’s still too young to know she’s missing out, and she’ll have a great time with the grandparents. Meanwhile you get couple’s time, without the stress of “is the baby hungry, wet, tired, hot, cranky…” and you can go on all the rides together you want, and enjoy some lovely (and uninterrupted!) meals together. Highly recommend.

Ha yeah we even shortened our trip by a day so less time away from her but now my wife is starting to second guess leaving her. But our last 3 Disney trips (DL June 2021, WDW Nov 2020, Dl 2019) we either had the kiddo or my wife was pregnant and we weren't able to ride any of the E ticket rides together. So definitely would like to be able to do that. We will probably just have a parents trip.

Another positive vote for Tropicana here. I really love that they keep the hot tub super hot for sore feet at the end of the evening. I like the pool a lot better than the best western next door.
Parking is pretty sparse. Sometimes you have to leave your car and let them park it for you if there’s not a lot of spaces.

Thanks for the reveiw. We arrive tomorrow. Do the regular rooms have refrigerators and does the small store sell bottled water?

Thanks for the reveiw. We arrive tomorrow. Do the regular rooms have refrigerators and does the small store sell bottled water?

The standard rooms we've stayed in have all had a mini-fridge. The Cove market definitely sells bottled water. It's actually a pretty decent little mini convenience store.

The regular rooms I've stayed in have had fridges. The mini-mart definitely has bottled water. Of course, it's $$$. I think it was like $17 for a 12-pack, or $12 if you spend $20 on other things.

All rooms have atleast a mini-fridge. I'd stop by a grocery store on you way and get cheap water bottles and stick them up in your fridge.

Nothing like a cold water after a long day at the parks!

Last time we were there we did a small grocery delivery from Vons. Case of water and gatorade, some snacks, and some quick things to eat in the morning. That was a few years ago though.

Are there any Joffreys in the park or is that a Florida thing?Thanks! Also anything else close by for coffee other than McDonalds?

Are there any Joffreys in the park or is that a Florida thing?Thanks! Also anything else close by for coffee other than McDonalds?

There are two Starbucks at Downtown Disney and one in Disneyland.

If you're a fan of 7-11 coffee, like I am, it's about 1 mile away from the Tropicana. So either a short car ride or long walk in the morning.

Its mainly a WDW thing but a quick search returned these results at DL:

Disneyland Resort Area (California)
Restaurant – Club 33 in Disneyland Park
Restaurant – Napa Rose in Disney’s Grand California Hotel and Spa
Restaurant – Carthay Circle Restaurant in Disney’s California Adventure Park
Restaurant – Steakhouse 55 in Disneyland Hotel *(Permanently closed)

I also know there is a few specialty coffee drinks in galaxies edge that is Joffrey's coffee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter