• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical Update: MORNING UPDATE 8/15 - See Post #13

tfc3rid

DIS Veteran
There is an area of disturbed weather that is forecast to become a tropical storm and possibly a hurricane and be located in the Bahamas and off the Florida coast by early next week...

Currently the system is being investigated by Hurricane Hunter aircraft... This is showing signs of strengthening and all interests in the Southeast US should be paying attention to it...

Of course down here in FL this is big news 24/7 , and anyone sailing should be prepared for big wave action (at the very least).

Definitely time to bring the Bonine! :goodvibes

two_atl.gif

storm_92.gif

For long-time cruisers, how bad does this look? We'll be on the Wonder cruise that leaves the 17th, and this is our first cruise. Are we talking possible cancellation, or things moving around on deck and in staterooms? Or is it simply too early to tell? Thanks!

Well, many of us on the 8/17 Wonder cruise meet thread have already left for FL. We've been watching this develop over the past several days.

Last year at this time we were worrying about hurricane Dean (I think that was the name) and that storm instead landed in Costa Maya, Mexico.

All we can do at this point is "keep a weather eye on the horizon" and carry on as planned.

Fear not, once at sea, Capt. Mickey (with a little help from the real Capt.) will keep the ship far away from the storms. Sending pixie dust that your cruise goes off without a hitch, and without a change of itinerary or schedule.

I don't know what channel Tony was watching here in Central FL but he also said it got lots of airtime. I'm surprised...the news has been obsessed with the Anthonys and the missing child for weeks now here, so I wasn't sure if tropical activity could pull 'em away from that.

Hopefully it won't hit the 8/17 cruise! I'm on the 8/21 3 nighter, my first cruise so I'm praying for some decent weather!

We are on the 8/24 cruise. They are talking up here that it will come up the coast and hit cities like Boston and NY. We fly out on 8/22 so I am hoping all goes well and we are able to get on the ship. I put the rest in Captain Mickey!

I am on the same cruise, leaving NY for Disney 8/21!
Fingers crossed! We have two cabins..It will be the first cruise for my DD's family..and only my second...

Looks like I may get out of Dodge just in time!

Update as of 10AM on Friday 8/15...

The system is currently passing over Puerto Rico. The current forecast is for the storm to contiue on a path towards the Domincan Republic and Haiti. A number of the computer models have the storm curving north and moving into the Bahamas with minimal hurrican intensity. Some models have it crossing South Florida and re-emerging in the gulf of Mexico... IMPORTANT...At this time no forecast models predict this system to curve out to sea.

There is another system approaching the islands. Looks better developed than the current disturbance we are following... 11AM NHC update will likely make one or both a Depression.

Thanks for the updates, tfc3rid.

8/21 is my first cruise so I am watching this nervously but relieved that it doesn't seem to be turning into a hurricane. :scared:

Rain? I can deal with. I've had plenty of rainy vacations (ever been to Ireland?!! Rained everyday I was there. That's why they have so many pubs!!) :drinking1 :shamrock:

Rough seas? If we don't get to dock at CC, I just may need to book another cruise!! :thumbsup2

We'll make the best of it. I always knew booking a cruise in August was risky.

Thanks for preparing us for a possible glitch in our travel plans. It is always good to know!!

Could this cause trouble for the EB Repo as well? Won't they be back in the Caribbean around the time it's predicted to be around Florida?

It is predicted to be near Florida starting Sunday Night, ending Wednesday Morning. However!!!!, they are always changing where it will go, not to mention they think that it will not make it over Cuba's mountains. Last time a hurricane was predicted to go where Fay is, it ended up being Charlie and hitting no where near Tampa Bay but getting to Orlando.

It is predicted to be near Florida starting Sunday Night, ending Wednesday Morning. However!!!!, they are always changing where it will go, not to mention they think that it will not make it over Cuba's mountains. Last time a hurricane was predicted to go where Fay is, it ended up being Charlie and hitting no where near Tampa Bay but getting to Orlando.

The difference though was that Charlie was further south than Fay currently is, and didn't drag itself across Hispanola and Cuba.

Ugh bad memories of 2004!

I wouldn't even think of booking a cruise, this time of year, for any area that is prone to hurricanes. We're from the north, and have never even experienced a hurricane, but of course, have seen much about it on the news. I guess we're just big chickens and wouldn't want to even be near it. Even if a hurricane doesn't hit the area that a cruise is in, I would think there would still be plenty of large waves as a result of a hurricane in the far distance. Anyway, for anyone who does have a cruise scheduled this month or in September (or even in October), I hope all will turn out well.

Could this cause trouble for the EB Repo as well? Won't they be back in the Caribbean around the time it's predicted to be around Florida?

They won't be back on the east side for at least one week so they should be fine with Fay but what comes after her might cause problems.

I wouldn't even think of booking a cruise, this time of year, for any area that is prone to hurricanes. We're from the north, and have never even experienced a hurricane, but of course, have seen much about it on the news. I guess we're just big chickens and wouldn't want to even be near it. Even if a hurricane doesn't hit the area that a cruise is in, I would think there would still be plenty of large waves as a result of a hurricane in the far distance. Anyway, for anyone who does have a cruise scheduled this month or in September (or even in October), I hope all will turn out well.

We have cruise in the fall for the past 5 years and have never had any real issues. The advantage is that the ship can move away from the storms. However I can understand why it is of concern. I really like the savings it offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter