Tropical threat?? Leaving in 9 days...

My college roommate and I have had a gal pal trip planned for almost a year, and we are scheduled to fly in to MCO on Wednesday night, and we are booked at Pop from September 28-October 3. Ack! We are not sure what to do? We aren't quite sure when to decide to barrel ahead or reschedule. What will WDW do if we decide to reschedule? How do this work, exactly?
I just called and changed dates. Rates were cheaper for new dates so they’re refunding my credit card. Airline allowed me to cancel Thur. AM flight and apply all credits to new flights in Feb.
initially I just tried to move trip to next week, but WDW hotels didn’t have openings for dates I need.

We are flying in from Arizona on Saturday afternoon. Plane supposed to land at 3:15 pm. Wasn't worried last night, but today the projections say that the hurricane will be done 8pm on Thursday. To say I'm stressed out is putting it mildly.
We’re flying in from Arizona too but on Wednesday evening. I’ve seen some models say storm hits Wednesday/Thursday and some not until Friday? Not sure if we should try to arrive on Tuesday or not. Mr says we should cancel and drive to Disneyland but we’re staying on DVC points. Not sure what to do.

We’re flying in from Arizona too but on Wednesday evening. I’ve seen some models say storm hits Wednesday/Thursday and some not until Friday? Not sure if we should try to arrive on Tuesday or not. Mr says we should cancel and drive to Disneyland but we’re staying on DVC points. Not sure what to do.
We were supposed to be flying in from Arizona on Thursday. I understand your dilemma. We also considered switching to Disneyland, but fortunately had some flexibility in our plans. When AA offered to change our Thursday flight for free I made the decision that I didn’t want to spend all week stressing out about whether our flight would ultimately be canceled. I went ahead and made the changes. I have to say I’m so happy to not be worried about it anymore, but had I not had the flexibility I would be feeling very disappointed. Just really bad timing for those that are flying on Wednesday and Thursday.

We are flying in from Arizona on Saturday afternoon. Plane supposed to land at 3:15 pm. Wasn't worried last night, but today the projections say that the hurricane will be done 8pm on Thursday. To say I'm stressed out is putting it mildly.
I'm confused. I'm flying in Saturday afternoon too. Why should we be stressed if the projections say it it will he done 8pm Thursday? Due to airport rebooking madness of folks whose flights were possibly canceled Wednesday-Thursday/that could delay Saturday flights due to the craziness?

I'm confused. I'm flying in Saturday afternoon too. Why should we be stressed if the projections say it it will he done 8pm Thursday? Due to airport rebooking madness of folks whose flights were possibly canceled Wednesday-Thursday/that could delay Saturday flights due to the craziness?
Am worried that the storm will stall and not be finished until late Friday or early Saturday, which could result in the airport still being closed, thus resulting in our SW Airlines flight being cancelled.

Am worried that the storm will stall and not be finished until late Friday or early Saturday, which could result in the airport still being closed, thus resulting in our SW Airlines flight being cancelled.
Ah got it. Here's to hoping it passes through like projected and doesn't stall 🤞

That is absolutely my main worry as well.

I'm supposed to leave Tuesday morning. I'm gonna made a decision after one last update from the NHC tomorrow morning, but I think I'm gonna push the trip back to the end of October. I'll be losing a day because I won't have the Disney+ discount but I don't want to be worrying about this this the whole time I'm there.

Plus, if it ends up being nothing, I'm gonna do a quick trip down for the weekend and celebrate Epcot's 40th!

We were suppose to head down on 9/29. We bit the bullet and changed to coming in on 9/27 luckily BCV had a 2-bedroom available for tomorrow rearranged everything good to go for tomorrow. I know I'm crazy heading into a hurricane but I live on the east coast won't be my first rodeo for a hurricane. Everyone be safe.

Foolish Mortals

Hurricanes anywhere are not fun. There will be a lot of people evacuating inland and in need of rooms. If you are driving…gas will be hard to get after the storm. If flying….good luck. Being stuck in an airport is not much of a vacation. If you can cancel now is the time to do so. Better safe than sorry.

Still debating about what to do. Supposed to check in tomorrow (Tuesday) through Friday morning. We live near Tampa, so evacuating to Disney doesn't sound too terrible.
But also don't want to leave the area in case a family member needs help after the storm passes.

Was planning to arrive 09/29 AM, booked an extra day on the front. Arriving 09/28 AM from Ohio by car. Going to beat it down there and see what happens. We have a long stay planned until 10/9.

Good luck to everyone traveling!

Are WDW’s transmission lines buried? I’ve never really paid attention but thinking about it, I can’t picture seeing power lines.
Yes, the power lines in Reedy Creek are buried. However, transmission power lines delivering power to the area are not. Reedy creek does have its own generator, but it's not adequate to supply power for everything. In fact, it could handle less than 25% of the typical load.

Foolish Mortals

Hurricanes anywhere are not fun. There will be a lot of people evacuating inland and in need of rooms. If you are driving…gas will be hard to get after the storm. If flying….good luck. Being stuck in an airport is not much of a vacation. If you can cancel now is the time to do so. Better safe than sorry.
Disney has plenty of rooms. Let's not act like people here are going to strand anyone, or at least don't turn the thread into that. When we were watching what Irma could become, when we were down there the mega thread was invaluable for information and sharing of experiences. I'm sure posters here making comments feel the same.

Latest updates are worse-case for me unfortunately. Sucks but I’m cancelling and rescheduling for the end of Oct.

I’m flying in Sunday afternoon. Not so worried about the weather in Orlando, but concerned the hurricane will disrupt air traffic and things will still be snarled on Sunday. I went through that in March and it was not fun. But there’s no way to know until the day comes, so I’m just keeping my finger crossed.

Sending good vibes to everyone traveling this week! Hope you all are able to still have fun and also stay safe! :grouphug:

Ugh. Supposed to fly in Friday afternoon. I need this thing to move faster. This is going to be a game-time call for me, I think. I'm not scared of rain at WDW, but I need to be able to fly in.
I'm supposed to get in early Friday morning. Even though American is waving change fees, the fare difference is astronomical so changing flights really isn't an option. Plus I'm at Dolphin and yesterday was the last day I could cancel/change without having to pay for the entire stay. I almost canceled last night but the projections looked like it would hit more in the panhandle yesterday. Here's hoping my flight will be able to sneak out while it's between NC and FL!

I'm supposed to get in early Friday morning. Even though American is waving change fees, the fare difference is astronomical so changing flights really isn't an option. Plus I'm at Dolphin and yesterday was the last day I could cancel/change without having to pay for the entire stay. I almost canceled last night but the projections looked like it would hit more in the panhandle yesterday. Here's hoping my flight will be able to sneak out while it's between NC and FL!

The Dolphin will almost certainly allow you to cancel if there is a hurricane threat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter